Mango Trees

D

dingdongrb

I know that Isaan is known for rice farming but I am interested in planting a couple of mango trees on my property just for personal consumption. Can anyone tell me if they have any success stories about growing mango trees in rural Isaan or perhaps problems they may have encountered if they attempted.

They are grown all over Isaan and it must be idiot-proof because they even grow in my garden!

They are real easy mate, They are as adaptable to any quality of land as banana trees. Ours started shedding mangos after only about a year.

Easy to grow planted 9 in 1997 and have been getting fruit for years ,2 got destroyed early on as the kwai, water buffalos like to use them for a rub.Just make sure you get more then one variety some sweeter some sour ones cooking eating require different types....,Bananas just plant them close to your septic tank and they with grow like shit.... really....Limes grow too got a few of them now but take a few years to bear fruit like any tree..... Just not too close to your house big red ants love to live in the Mango trees .....//SurinFC

Very easy to grow. You can buy grafted trees cheaply at any plant nursery, and they will start to bear fruit the year after you plant them. The common sweet mango 'nam dokmai' fruits readily; 'ochrone' is another sweet variety which fruits later. You will only see a few kinds on the market; try them and see which ones you like.

Just to be pedantic, a banana tree is not a tree at all - it is a herbaceous plant.

Back to topic, mango trees are very easy to grow although they do need good support until they are well established. The grafted plants do not produce such a strong root system as a naturally grown tree and, depending on soil conditions, can be blown over during the strong winds associated with the summer storms. Many varieties to choose from and a good source of trees, very resonably priced, from the visiting OTOP road show.

Brouhgt 40 down from Chiang Mai and purchased another 40 at a nuresry on the 214. A year later and most are showing fruit.

I've got about 700 of the buggers on the farm, just keep the ants away, and spray with chemical once a year.

and do not wast your time with the CM trees they are shyt compaird to the local tree.

and do not wast your time with the CM trees they are shyt compaird to the local tree.

Not helpful, gotlost.

As it happens, I brought some trees from Chiangmai, and they're doing fine. But there are so many places to buy them round here that 'importing' trees is pointless unless you have your eye on some special variety. However, if that variety is unobtainable here, it may well mean that it doesn't grow well here.

Not helpful, gotlost.

As it happens, I brought some trees from Chiangmai, and they're doing fine. But there are so many places to buy them round here that 'importing' trees is pointless unless you have your eye on some special variety. However, if that variety is unobtainable here, it may well mean that it doesn't grow well here.

The tress were planted at the same time withe the same amount of care. They are all doing excellent and most are even bearing fruit but the trees from CM look like runts compaired to the trees from hear. Im not saying not to bring trees from CM Im just say you do not have to.

Thanks all for the feedback... Now I know that I'll be planting some Mango trees on my land in the next year or so...

Not read all the 'posts' but yes get those Mango's planted, and enjoy. 10of10Score

Wonder what the Mango crop will be like this year round. Last couple years our tree's have been at little lean at both "Monument" locations,in the Surin area. However it was a better crop at the "new shack" over in Takhli ,Nakhon Sawan. Bloody kids eat most of them anyways, but enough to go around.... Wonder if one can make wine/cider or booze outa them??? Anyone try it yet if so let me know the results,or better still taste them....Chokdee5:cool:

Back