MHaywards Building information

MHayward

The reason for this house being raised off the ground is because Joop and his wife decided they wanted to raise the house and land around the house up about 70cm high and the land 4 meters wide in all directions – North, East South and West ,this way the house will be higher than the rest of the land ! the reason why no footings are visible is that they are Deep down into the virgin soil a total of 180 cm-1.8 meters . Once all the under floor plumbing is complete the open area will be closed off and the land fill will begin , next year there will be a concrete footpath pored .There are two ring beams on this house a 60cm deep ring beam that’s the main supporting beam, plus a sub beam 25cm deep that only carries the weight of a couple of courses of block. So the total distance from the floor level down to the footings is around 2.5 meters deep ,most Thai builders would not do this as its to time consuming and costly (a proper job is all it is in my eyes) . This idea Joop and his wife had about raising the house up 70cm was a free upgrade with no additional cost :GrinNod1: , I hope this is clear enough for you Mr Crisp and a big thanks for your input ..:Bravo1:
Our house has been similarly raised to improve drianage and plumbing work etc.
As you can see from attached picture, the land is now way up above the road level. This was achieved by filling and compacting then leaving to settle for well over a year before full on building work started. Our foundations/footings go down about 2-2.5 m all round and involved a lot of work. Similarly the wall has support column footings going down 1.5m below the road level and we have now backfilled in up to 50 cm below house level so as to continue with other work then we will fill and pave round finally.

Cheers, MH

Attachments

• mini-DSCN0637.JPG
    mini-DSCN0637.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Our house has been similarly raised to improve drianage and plumbing work etc.
As you can see from attached picture, the land is now way up above the road level. This was achieved by filling and compacting then leaving to settle for well over a year before full on building work started. Our foundations/footings go down about 2-2.5 m all round and involved a lot of work. Similarly the wall has support column footings going down 1.5m below the road level and we have now backfilled in up to 50 cm below house level so as to continue with other work then we will fill and pave round finally.

Cheers, MH

As long as the footings are below virgin soil you should be fine mate, and the main concrete ring beam (Thai word- Carn) is above the ground level not below very important I can’t see this beam on your picture ! .What kind of blocks are you using mate ?

As long as the footings are below virgin soil you should be fine mate, and the main concrete ring beam (Thai word- Carn) is above the ground level not below very important I can’t see this beam on your picture ! .What kind of blocks are you using mate ?

When I had my house built I had 2 CARN's. One small carn ( ring beam) at ground level and the big main Carn at the floor level. The smaller ring beam is used as a foundation for the brick or block infill's ( as you can see from my photo,sorry it's a photo of a photo so not good quality )The only reason I asked about this is because I can see no small ring beam ( carn ) at ground level on any of the photos ( See 2 nd photo ) and can't see what is supporting the block that infill the open section at ground level at the base of the house:?.
Also if an open space is left under the house shouldn't there be air bricks to allow an air flow so any dampness is kept to a minimum:? ......Just a thought.......:)
MHayward, can't see you having any flooding problems.......:)

Attachments

• DSCF0076.JPG
    DSCF0076.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    668.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:
When I had my house built I had 2 CARN's. One small carn ( ring beam) at ground level and the big main Carn at the floor level. The smaller ring beam is used as a foundation for the brick or block infill's ( as you can see from my photo,sorry it's a photo of a photo so not good quality )The only reason I asked about this is because I can see no small ring beam ( carn ) at ground level on any of the photos ( See 2 nd photo ) and can't see what is supporting the block that infill the open section at ground level at the base of the house:?.
Also if an open space is left under the house shouldn't there be air bricks to allow an air flow so any dampness is kept to a minimum:? ......Just a thought.......:)
MHayward, can't see you having any flooding problems.......:)
The smaller sub footing had not yet been poured at this stage mate! But now it has. I will take some more pics tomorrow for your viewing P-S I see you used the tiny red bricks mate ..:%

Last edited:
The smaller sub footing had not yet been poured at this stage mate! But now it has. I will take some more pics tomorrow for your viewing P-S I see you used the tiny red bricks mate ..:%

Look forward to seeing the photos AtB.To me it does seem a strange way to go about it ,as the bottom Carn is normally the first to go in when you start building at ground level.( See Photo )It can't be easy shuttering up the footings and putting in the steal re-bar when you only have a small space to work in :?
When I had my house built 6 years ago it was standard practice to use the small red bricks as the Autoclaved Aerated Concrete Block were still only just starting to be used.Here is a good Thread from Thaivisa.After reading this ,I understand why builders like like the bigger concrete blocks and as it says in that tread......

red bricks
very strong (for kitchen cabinets etc)
inexpensive
no problem with water

white blocks
sound and temp insulating
build fast
sucks water like a sponge
light weight

There seems to be pro's and con's on both types of bricks,the choice should be for the house owner to make.:)

Thai Red Brick Versus Autoclaved Aerated Concrete Block - Thailand Forum

No Blocks for House Walls

Only blocks being used are of the Concrete precast type in the Garden Walls and the House Underground Foundations.
All above ground House walls, External (Double) and Internal (some double) are red brick top to bottom. No Damp issues and very strong too.
Used so far about 27,000 for the main house itself !

Cheers, MH

Only blocks being used are of the Concrete precast type in the Garden Walls and the House Underground Foundations.
All above ground House walls, External (Double) and Internal (some double) are red brick top to bottom. No Damp issues and very strong too.
Used so far about 27,000 for the main house itself !

Cheers, MH
As you MH ,I'm old school and like to stick with well proven products.The only benefit I can see for the House Owner in using the white blocks is sound reduction and insulation,that is unless you go like MH with double skinned wall with the red bricks .There are many benefits for the House builder in using the white blocks like building faster and the lighter weight but they do seem to suck water like a sponge and I have heard of people having problems in wet area's like bathroom unless strict rules are adhered too. If I was to build a house again I would still go with the red bricks IMHO FWIW.Will the white block houses still be standing in 100 years:?. All I know is the Prasat at SlKhoraphum is still standing and who old is that...:)

The reason why we put the sub beam in after is it gives us more room the move in and out under the floor while preparing the plumbing , why make the gap even tighter than it already is .The white insulation blocks have been out in Thailand a good while already , I was laying these in Germany 20 years ago. In my eyes these big white light weight insulation blocks are by far superior to the tiny red brickets or the cinder blocks(they are not concrete ) that’s my opinion anyway. The blocks have already stood the test of time they have be using these type of blocks in Euro for a long time already ,anybody with any building knowledge would use these if they had the choice they are better in every way.

That my view anyway http://www.qcon.co.th/products/property_es.php?id=es01anyone

After reading the above site and Building Blocks - Benefits of Hebel I can honestly say that I could be swayed into using this product ,you do know your building materials Alan.I'm sure Josef Hebel would be proud of you...:)
Also I would make sure they were original Q-con blocks from Quality Construction Products P C Ltd and not the ones knocked up by Somchai in his back garden half way between Surin and Prasat, that I've heard some of the Local Thai builders are using....:)

Brick Sh*thouse

As you MH ,I'm old school and like to stick with well proven products.The only benefit I can see for the House Owner in using the white blocks is sound reduction and insulation,that is unless you go like MH with double skinned wall with the red bricks .There are many benefits for the House builder in using the white blocks like building faster and the lighter weight but they do seem to suck water like a sponge and I have heard of people having problems in wet area's like bathroom unless strict rules are adhered too. If I was to build a house again I would still go with the red bricks IMHO FWIW.Will the white block houses still be standing in 100 years:?. All I know is the Prasat at SlKhoraphum is still standing and who old is that...:)

Yes I agree, I know it has cost a lot in extra labour and time, however the place is built like a proverbial Brick Sh*thouse I can assure you.
The builder smiled when I required double bricks all round, extra material cost estimated at 20K thb, and then the labour of course, but he and the brickies are damn good.

Cheers, MH

Attachments

• mini-DSCN0752.JPG
    mini-DSCN0752.JPG
    640.3 KB · Views: 25
  • mini-P7278118.JPG
    mini-P7278118.JPG
    357.6 KB · Views: 28
  • mini-P7278138.JPG
    mini-P7278138.JPG
    429.9 KB · Views: 26
Yes I agree, I know it has cost a lot in extra labour and time, however the place is built like a proverbial Brick Sh*thouse I can assure you.
The builder smiled when I required double bricks all round, extra material cost estimated at 20K thb, and then the labour of course, but he and the brickies are damn good.

Cheers, MH

Cavity wall is a good way to go if using the red clay bricks .Don’t forget the tie wire s!:)good luck.

Cheers, MH

Its looking good MH, but have you gone for a wooden roof construction.:?
With a Steel roof construction the steel can be wielded onto the concrete posts by the way of metal plates wielded actual to the steel re-bar in the concrete pillars.I found this ties everything together to make a very strong job...:)

Yes but...

Its looking good MH, but have you gone for a wooden roof construction.:?
With a Steel roof construction the steel can be wielded onto the concrete posts by the way of metal plates wielded actual to the steel re-bar in the concrete pillars.I found this ties everything together to make a very strong job...:)
I actually didnt have a lot of choice in the Roof Construction, the house was already at that stage when I 'inherited' the project so to speak. It stood with roof on for a number of months before I came along. I did consider changing it but it was not so necessary. What I did do was to add a Steel box section ring running with the beams all round the main part of the house, welded to plates as you describe, tying all the pillars together for added strength.
Everything else is my own design from then onwards and as the builder semed to have done a pretty good job of the first part, there was no reason not to get him back to finish it all off. so far I am very pleased with both the standard and rate of workmanship all round. He is aware I do not wish to cut corners and is very proud to be building the best house he ever built.
As for the Carns that were mentioned previously. There is one running all round the outside foundations, which the blocks sit on. Then I have added a similar arrangement with a ground level reinforced concrete beam running in between every pillar in each direction, tying them all together prior to the floors being laid. The concrete floor sits on a membrane and then has steel reinforcement matting throughout, it is also 10cm thick.
So basically the pillars are tied together at under floor level and also together by steel at above ceiling level. There is then a further reinfocement at half level between each pillar, except where there is a window when two are used top and bottom.
Brick Sh*thouse indeed !!

Cheers, MH

Looks like it will last longer than most of us, when its finished I would like to come over for a look if that's possible,keep the Red bricks Flying.....:)
cheers
Boloa

House Warming lol

Looks like it will last longer than most of us, when its finished I would like to come over for a look if that's possible,keep the Red bricks Flying.....:)
cheers
Boloa
No problem, are you inviting yourself to the housewarming then lol.

Actually I have a very comprehensive photographic record of every thing that has been done since I inherited the project. I am writing it up in a form of diary for friends and family and to serve as a memory of what we have done.
Whilst I am away at work for the 4 weeks my TGf takes plenty of pictures and forwards them to me so I keep an eye on progress etc.

I have already had quite a few contacts who are interested in my somewhat unorthodox method of having a house built in Thailand. I have to admit to being very fortunate in having a very good builder and also my TGf father on site 24/7 taking care of everything too.

Cheers, MH

No problem, are you inviting yourself to the housewarming then lol.

Actually I have a very comprehensive photographic record of every thing that has been done since I inherited the project. I am writing it up in a form of diary for friends and family and to serve as a memory of what we have done.
Whilst I am away at work for the 4 weeks my TGf takes plenty of pictures and forwards them to me so I keep an eye on progress etc.

I have already had quite a few contacts who are interested in my somewhat unorthodox method of having a house built in Thailand. I have to admit to being very fortunate in having a very good builder and also my TGf father on site 24/7 taking care of everything too.

Cheers, MH

Well done mate, however the way his house has been built is very much how they build out here , just 1 thing you might consider doing, if I were you, is to give all the timber trusses and coat of timber treatment against the Thai Termite (name in Thai- Pluak ) there is a company called Chaindrite this is a very good product ,this is one of the best ways to ensure you don’t end up with dust where the trusses used to be , these little termites are bad news mate , if it was my house I would spray the roof interior to make sure its 100% covered. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/27095-termites-active-in-thailand/ They can only eat through old or weak Concrete.
Good luck mate.

Last edited:
MH
Hope the new thread is easier for you (& everyone) to discuss things more clearly.

Dave

Some do some dont

Well done mate, however the way his house has been built is very much how they build out here , just 1 thing you might consider doing, if I were you, is to give all the timber trusses and coat of timber treatment against the Thai Termite (name in Thai- Pluak ) there is a company called Chaindrite this is a very good product ,this is one of the best ways to ensure you don’t end up with dust where the trusses used to be , these little termites are bad news mate , if it was my house I would spray the roof interior to make sure its 100% covered. Termites Active In Thailand ? - Thailand Forum They can only eat through old or weak Concrete.
Good luck mate.
I didnt mean unorthodox in the way the house is built, I understand methods to be pretty standard for good house building out here. What I have seen in Thai buildings is a lot of corners cut and problems later, often due to several factors.
Biggest issue is usally the farang who is paying cannot be on scene to ensure what he is getting, and usually the Thai GF has no clue whatsoever. I have got round this by putting her father in charge, getting regular almost daily photo updates and being there every other month. The other thing is, I have not agreed a fixed date or price, so the builder is not under pressure to complete and is not inclined to rush the job or cut corners to get things done. He also knows that if they make a reasonable job of this house then I have plans for a pool and a second house at the other end of the land which will keep him and the team in good well paid work for the next six months. There is also the factor that, as I am having the place properly built, the builder who lives round the corner is proud of the work and is already using it to 'show' other prospective customers both in our village and further afield.
Thanks for the advice, re termites we will look into it. Wood has been treated, but maybe we could do a little more.

Cheers, MH

Back