Monday 1 June 2015

C

Coffee

Visakha Bucha day - full moon party at your local wat.

Good for inspiration and contemplation.
Never hurts to cleanse one's mind and soul.

(No excuses - no EPL or school.)

And of course it is yet another day of no alcohol sales from midnight to midnight which might also help to cleanse the mind and soul (provided one is not a struggling bar owner, already way down on income, this year).

I will stay home and drink spiwits! That usually cleanses my mind and soul.

I'm driving all the way to That Phanom this weekend to take SWMBO to see a temple. I did ask SWMBO what is wrong with the temples in town and why was it necessary to drive 460 km to see a another f***ing temple. The icy look of disdain I received from my wife for asking such an audacious question made me refrain from any further silly questions. "Resistance is futile" as the Borg would say. Okay, its a very nice temple and a pleasant drive in the countryside. Why not?

wat-that-phanom-chedi-500.jpg

You see NM, while even in Christian churches there are certain places of worship to ask certain saints for something paticular, the same is true for Buddhist temples that you go to pray for certain things. I don't know, but just maybe this one is for your husbands health for instance. Anyway I think you erred in the way of caution and just shut up.

Cheers mate , Safe trip.

I'm driving all the way to That Phanom this weekend to take SWMBO to see a temple. I did ask SWMBO what is wrong with the temples in town and why was it necessary to drive 460 km to see a another f***ing temple. The icy look of disdain I received from my wife for asking such an audacious question made me refrain from any further silly questions. "Resistance is futile" as the Borg would say. Okay, its a very nice temple and a pleasant drive in the countryside. Why not?

View attachment 11290

Teach the wife to drive Nomad, then give her the keys.

That's a fine-looking temple, nomad. Don't forget your camera so that you can take another photo with a contented SWMBO smiling in the foreground to show us next week.

The original chedi at That Phanom collapsed about fifteen or twenty years ago, and what you see now is a modern outer casing. The old chedi is inside, and who knows how many earlier chedis are inside that? The innermost core is supposed to be one of the oldest Buddhist structures in Thailand.

Teach the wife to drive Nomad, then give her the keys.

She has a licence but I am still the preferred driver for the longer trips. Anyway, get to look at the mighty Mekong river, the IndoChina market and a couple of nights in Mukdahan along the way. Looking forward to the trip.
icon7.png

The original chedi at That Phanom collapsed about fifteen or twenty years ago, and what you see now is a modern outer casing. The old chedi is inside, and who knows how many earlier chedis are inside that? The innermost core is supposed to be one of the oldest Buddhist structures in Thailand.

This chedi has a special significance for my wife. That's why we have to go.

She has a licence but I am still the preferred driver for the longer trips. Anyway, get to look at the mighty Mekong river, the IndoChina market and a couple of nights in Mukdahan along the way. Looking forward to the trip.
icon7.png

You mean YOU prefer to drive. Backseat driver eh?
icon7.png

Enjoy.

I stayed at the Ploy Palace. Nice hotel, but the western breakfast provided (buffet) was awful...everything cold!. Thai buffet fine!

Should be an enjoyable weekend and I am sure the missus will ask the chedi to do something nice for you.

Wish we were going along with you to part of Thailand that I have never yet seen. You should have organised a chedi tour. Nick and Ray will be onto the idea now!

Should be an enjoyable weekend and I am sure the missus will ask the chedi to do something nice for you.

Wish we were going along with you to part of Thailand that I have never yet seen. You should have organised a chedi tour. Nick and Ray will be onto the idea now!

Bill, you have to take my earlier comments with a large pinch of salt. All were said in jest. I am looking forward to the trip, not so much to see the temple although I am sure that will be interesting, but to see another part of Thailand I have never visited before. I read one sad fellow's trip report about Mukdahan and it was pretty clear that he found the place dead boring. I think he said everything was closed as soon as the sun went down and there was nothing to do. Clearly, he was looking for something more akin to the entertainment venues found in Pattaya. I am sure it will be a great trip for my wife and two daughters and I know it will be anything else but boring. Hope the weather holds because there have been storm clouds up there recently. Full trip report when I return.

Don't forget to catch the Indo China Underground market along the banks of the Meh Khong river in Makdahan. It's called underground because it is set under the river embankment walk.

We will be staying in the Riverfront Hotel for a couple of nights. I understand this is about 100 meters south of the market and on the river. SWMBO, also know as SWLRT (She who likes retail therapy), will be in her element as its only a short walk from the hotel. I can sit and watch the view from the hotel lounge with a cool one in hand and the tribe can go walk abouts to their hearts content!

Back