Monks

Deerculler

Surin relic
Sorry.
I was not sure where to post this but here goes
We are building a house in the village.
Only a two bedroom 2 toilet house. Not big.
What I am curious about is.
The wife's mother is talking about monks.
I am not anti Thai culture or buddha.
But I cannot stand bloody hypocritical bludging monks
I know it will not be up to me.
Can anyone who has built a house how many monks attended and how much the monks were paid/

Or have I opened up a controversial subject?

I don't think it's controversial you just have to bite the bullet and do it.
If you don't your wife will loose face and respect and every little thing that goes wrong will be because you didn't have the monks.
It is 9.5 years since we built our house, 9 monks came and I'm told they were paid 200 baht each and were well fed.

What you have not made clear is which particular Monk needing occasion are you talking about in this construction.
There is the following. You better sit down. Not all are ever done but at least some are. Ones marked with * are compulsory.
1 Before even building. Is it a lucky design.
2 Correct spiritual alignment on the block.
3 Lucky day for starting construction
4 Blessing of first pole going up with symbology of shelter, Banana leaves and an umbrella. (pig heads are always involved *
5 Completion this is where the amount of monks is commensurate with the size of your partners face and dwelling. *

Bottom line its not expensive, why you worrying? Bye the way if you do not do any of the requested steps. You may get a ghost in the house and your wife may never go in there and you have wasted your money. This has happened before. Please don't reply with "I don't believe in ghosts" Well either do I. 555

I don't think it's controversial you just have to bite the bullet and do it.
If you don't your wife will loose face and respect and every little thing that goes wrong will be because you didn't have the monks.
It is 9.5 years since we built our house, 9 monks came and I'm told they were paid 200 baht each and were well fed.
Hi Colin. I am not objecting to having the the monks because I understand and agree with what you say. I just don't like monks.
I was mainly enquiring as to how many monks was the norm and how much was paid to them.
Thanks Colin.

What you have not made clear is which particular Monk needing occasion are you talking about in this construction.
There is the following. You better sit down. Not all are ever done but at least some are. Ones marked with * are compulsory.
1 Before even building. Is it a lucky design.
2 Correct spiritual alignment on the block.
3 Lucky day for starting construction
4 Blessing of first pole going up with symbology of shelter, Banana leaves and an umbrella. (pig heads are always involved *
5 Completion this is where the amount of monks is commensurate with the size of your partners face and dwelling. *

Bottom line its not expensive, why you worrying? Bye the way if you do not do any of the requested steps. You may get a ghost in the house and your wife may never go in there and you have wasted your money. This has happened before. Please don't reply with "I don't believe in ghosts" Well either do I. 555
It is the blessing of the house when finished.
Because I have not done this before.
I am only enquiring.
Not objecting.
I just don't like monks
My first late wife already had a house>

Can anyone who has built a house how many monks attended and how much the monks were paid/

AFAIK it has to be an odd number.

I think we had 7 (but I'm a tight bugger). Cost? 21 years ago? I can't remember.

But as @ColinW has already said, you're stuck with it. Just bite the bullet.

As an aside - we had (and still have) wallpaper in the lounge so I would not allow them to have wax in the water that they throw around everywhere.

Cloud cuckoo land!

Some 17 years ago, when we bought our first house in Surin, new and already built, I think we had 9 monks to bless the house. Can't remember how much they were given but not expensive. In addition, and quite expensive, a lot of my wife's relatives attended the bash. When we moved to a larger house, some 9 years ago, again new and already built, I don't think we had any monks and no relatives either. A right Cheapie Charlie affair although we did put on a bash for her relatives at a later date.

Some 17 years ago, when we bought our first house in Surin, new and already built, I think we had 9 monks to bless the house. Can't remember how much they were given but not expensive. In addition, and quite expensive, a lot of my wife's relatives attended the bash. When we moved to a larger house, some 9 years ago, again new and already built, I don't think we had any monks and no relatives either. A right Cheapie Charlie affair although we did put on a bash for her relatives at a later date.
With our new house under way, I asked Pat if she was going to get the saffron brigade to come and do the " Rammalamma dingdong " on it. She said no.
All her plans are is to get some close family to come for a house warming. When her mum hears this, i'm sure things will change.

What don't you like about them. ? The Monks I know are kind and sharing and look after their local community.
Sure there are bad eggs. Humans are humans you know. But they are not "ALL" bad.

Rice, did you really write that (wow!) ...or where did you copy that from ? :p

I have just happened upon this thread -a little late.

My views of monks are well documented, and like Deerculler, I don't like them!

It is not the monks personally, though I never get to meet them, but it what they stand for. I have nothing against people believing in their God whatever name he may go by. It is the misrepresentation given by Wats, Churches, Mosques and the like and those that are living there purpoting to be the servants of their particular God. To me that is absolute bullshit. A believer can pray/speak to their God alone without outside help. A scam and money making operation! Whilst Christain churches have one parish priest. Wats seem to have an endless supply of Monks who seem to do SFA except for the occasional chant for which they want payment, and of course the morning begging ritual! I don't know much about Allah, except his believers want to exterminate all those that do not hold the same beliefs as them.

My wife acquired a piece of land outside the village 2/3 years ago, and along with her sister last year erected a small building thereon to be used a shop. Of course the Monks had to come and do their stuff. More than just 200bt apiece and food for them. There were all the hangers on too, those that drove the monks, the local population and every Tom Dick & Harrry (and Somchai) that had to be fed. I was ordered to stay home! Didn't need telling twice. :):):)

Somewhere you have picked up a wrong impression of me @Coffee. I have been good friends with a local very senior monk for many years. I know him very well.
He is a good man.. In deference to him. I will hold my tongue no longer. But everybody is entitled to their own opinion, as do I.
My wife was one of the poorest of the poor in the village. The monks would leave over food for her and her mother each night when she was a little girl, Monks still look after the community like this. For people that fall between the cracks of society.
I have nothing against people believing in their God whatever name he may go by.
Yes, you do. But you are entitled to that opinion.:)

Back