Surin Weather 2022 - 2023

Some sources say August is the heaviest rain month for Surin Province. Other sources state September.
I'll stick with September. Enjoy a fantastic month ahead gentlemen.
20220831_110811.jpg

Enjoy a wet one while you're still able to appreciate the feeling. :)

Earlier I thought that we may be spared thunderstorms today but the sky to the east looks ominous!

Septemver 1 s.jpg

My wife was reluctant to venture to the evening market today but the rain abated so she took off. It hasn't rained again - yet!

11:35...sure feels like rain is coming although I cannot smell it or taste it.

(I sure hope @Yorky didn't pass on the Covid curse. :p )

Well, we'll just have to wait for what this afternoon brings.

Enjoy the weekend if you can.

Sad news indeed. RIP Queen Elizabeth. :-(

Curious Yorky, you realise she wasn't named Elisabeth. Why?

(I won't analyze or prioritize in honor of Queen Elizabeth.)
Cheers.

I believe that Elisabeth is the German spelling of the name. My maternal grandmother was Christened Elizabeth; born around 1883.

Why do you ask?

11:35...sure feels like rain is coming although I cannot smell it or taste it.

(I sure hope @Yorky didn't pass on the Covid curse. :p )

Well, we'll just have to wait for what this afternoon brings.

Enjoy the weekend if you can.

Sad news indeed. RIP Queen Elizabeth. :-(

(I won't analyze or prioritize in honor of Queen Elizabeth.)
Cheers.
I believe that Elisabeth is the German spelling of the name. My maternal grandmother was Christened Elizabeth; born around 1883.

Why do you ask?

Precedents have been set over many centuries: Queen Elizabeth I, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, and Queen Elizabeth II were all spelt with the letter 'z.'

It may be a little curious to know that spelling the name Elisabeth has been the more popular way in German history, rather than most of the rest of the world.

Before 1917, members of the British Royal Family had no surname, and used only the name of the house or dynasty to which they belonged. Just as children can take their surnames from their father, so sovereigns normally take the name of their 'House' from their father. For this reason, Queen Victoria's eldest son Edward VII belonged to the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (the family name of his father Prince Albert). Edward VII's son George V became the second king of that dynasty when he succeeded to the throne in 1910. The Germanic name for the British Royal dynasty didn't sit comfortably with the King's subjects,

In 1917, there was a radical change, when George V specifically adopted Windsor, not only as the name of the 'House' or dynasty, but also as the surname of his family. The family name was changed as a result of anti-German feeling during the First World War, and the name Windsor was adopted after the Castle of the same name: At a meeting of the Privy Council on 17 July 1917, George V declared that 'all descendants in the male line of Queen Victoria, who are subjects of these realms, other than female descendants who marry or who have married, shall bear the name of Windsor'. It would have been quite unthinkable for the Late Queen Elizabeth II's name to be spelt as a German 'Elisabeth' in that case.

Incidentally, the 'Elizabeth' variety was the tenth most popular name given to baby girls in the United States in 2007 and has been among the 25 most popular names given to girls in the United States for the past 100 years. It is the only name that remained in the top ten US girls' names list from 1925 to 1972.

Precedents have been set over many centuries: Queen Elizabeth I, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, and Queen Elizabeth II were all spelt with the letter 'z.'

I am guessing that @Coffee is takin t'piss (or is it pizz?). Connected with the Americans (for no apparent reason) changing the spelling of many English words particularly changing our letter "s" to a "z" (zed).

Back