Surin Weather 2022 - 2023

I am up and getting ready to take my daughter to school. As I type the sound of thunder reaches my ears once again. More wet stuff is on the way.

I am up and getting ready to take my daughter to school. As I type the sound of thunder reaches my ears once again. More wet stuff is on the way.

It's already arrived here. And it's now easing off although there's still thunder to the south.

Let's hope it doesn't match this image of a print which hung in my UK office for several years:

Entre Les Trous de la Memoire: by Dominique Appia

1663492255822.png

A student of Dali no doubt.

A nice thought but is not factual. He was born in Switzerland 1926 (the same year in which Dali was kicked out of the San Fernando Academy of Art in Madrid for causing dissent among other students, and for criticism of his lecturers of whom he claimed that none had the competence to examine him.)

Appia was 40 years old before he began painting (in 1966) by which time Dali was 62 years old. His work was frequently compared with Dali's however though he was self-taught.

I've been unable to find any link between the two artists.

Last edited:
A nice thought but is not factual. He was born in Switzerland 1926 (the same year in which Dali was kicked out of the Sam Fernando Academy of Art in Madrid for causing dissent among other students, and for criticism of his lecturers of whom he claimed that none had the competence to examine him.)

Appia was 40 years old before he began painting (in 1966) by which time Dali was 62 years old. His work was frequently compared with Dali's however though he was self-taught.

I've been unable to find any link between the two artists.

I believe Rice's "intended meaning" of student was in the spirit of Dali's works...not as teacher / student persay.

English is funny like that. Lots of Thai folks find it confusing paricularly when spoken. imo

Note: Dali said he was inspired by Picasso...(albeit not 'taught').

Last edited:
I believe Rice's "intended meaning" of student was in the spirit of Dali's works...not as teacher / student perday.

English is funny like that. Lots of Thai folks find it confusing paricularly when spoken. imo

Note: Dali said he was inspired by Picasso...(albeit not 'taught').
I said to my wife last night, who was nearly naked after a shower, what a peachy bottom you have. I got a right dirty look in return, she thought I was being rude. Yes, English can easily be misunderstood.

I said to my wife last night, who was nearly naked after a shower, what a peachy bottom you have. I got a right dirty look in return, she thought I was being rude. Yes, English can easily be misunderstood.

I've done the same and was loudly admonished with a, "Get the hell out of this shower - NOW!!" :p

Ah... truth is in the motto 'say what you mean, and mean what you say.'

We English speakers do tend to chat using colloquialisms instead of literally correct expressions. For example, telling my wife that 'the cat is out of the bag' when a bit of news is revealed would always have her searching for an escaped feline. Many if not most of our speech patterns include such colloquialisms and idioms.

This is not unique to English of course, but I'm not aware of it being common practice in the Thai language. Others will know the answer no doubt.

Ah... truth is in the motto 'say what you mean, and mean what you say.'

We English speakers do tend to chat using colloquialisms instead of literally correct expressions. For example, telling my wife that 'the cat is out of the bag' when a bit of news is revealed would always have her searching for an escaped feline. Many if not most of our speech patterns include such colloquialisms and idioms.

This is not unique to English of course, but I'm not aware of it being common practice in the Thai language. Others will know the answer no doubt.
I can assure you it is common place. Isaan has a compete different set. to those of central Thai. The Isaan ones are so esoteric. I hardly get most of them unless I ask. Then they look at me strangely for asking. Most of the ones I catch are in morlum. Isaan music.

Back