Mrs GL has another Funeral Monday.

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
He is Swiss 68. She knows his wife. The final chapter for her aunts mother is at 9 am Tomorrow. My wife says it was heart attack.

Last edited:
Cannot speak for others, but in the UK most who attend funerals were friends or work colleagues of the deceased

Here in Thailand, funerals, especially in the villages, are a social event. Everyone attends with most only having a limited relationship either with the deceased or a family member. It seems to be a case of "being seen", rather than anything else. Of course there is also the free food and sometimes alcohol! Plus more often than not card games in the evening after the monks have completed their evening chant!

Cannot speak for others, but in the UK most who attend funerals were friends or work colleagues of the deceased

Here in Thailand, funerals, especially in the villages, are a social event. Everyone attends with most only having a limited relationship either with the deceased or a family member. It seems to be a case of "being seen", rather than anything else. Of course there is also the free food and sometimes alcohol! Plus more often than not card games in the evening after the monks have completed their evening chant!
Not around my wife family.

Same in the small village we reside in, three villagers have an insurance agreement arranged, 200 baht for each House number, contributed to the Insurance Pool kept in a Bank, 60,000 baht pay out for funeral expenses. That's whether the paying House # attend the funeral or not.

Additionally when families join funeral festivities they usually make a contribution in their name to help with the expense. This is recorded by somebody recording names in a book for the deceased family, usually a Village representative.
The longer the deceased is honored ( lavish, cost, etc.) before they go up in smoke give them a better place in the here after ????

Last edited:
Same in the small village we reside in, three villagers have an insurance agreement arranged, 200 baht for each House number, contributed to the Insurance Pool kept in a Bank, 60,000 baht pay out for funeral expenses. That's whether the paying House # attend the funeral or not.
Same for the wife family but no alcohol or gambling.

The procession for my wife aunt mother is scheduled for 9 am. The wife has driving our truck to the departure about 150 feet from our home. Her dad and mom will be in attendance. My wife will drive those that cannot walk. It's about 1.5 km to the temple. The procession will do this the traditional way a cart with the casket and iron buffalo pull it..BUT there will twine attached to the casket and cart then place in front so everyone can hold it as if they are taking the casket to the temple.

Additionally when families join funeral festivities they usually make a contribution in their name to help with the expense. This is recorded by somebody recording names in a book for the deceased family, usually a Village representative.
The longer the deceased is honored ( lavish, cost, etc.) before they go up in smoke give them a better place in the here after ????
The contribution towards the cost, whether it be a funeral, wedding, lucky home party, becoming a monk for a week ete etc is as you say recorded in a book.and when the tables are turned, the book comes out to see how much a certain family donated, so that a similar amount can be paid.

Relatives of my wife made a good contribution to MiL's funeral many years ago, and when their son became a monk for just 4 days, they expected a contribution of the same amount. With a farang in their family I explained that a monk for 4 days did not correalate with a death, when dead is forever, and a nominal contribution would be made, The farang fully understood, but his wife did not!

The procession for my wife aunt mother is scheduled for 9 am. The wife has driving our truck to the departure about 150 feet from our home. Her dad and mom will be in attendance. My wife will drive those that cannot walk. It's about 1.5 km to the temple. The procession will do this the traditional way a cart with the casket and iron buffalo pull it..BUT there will twine attached to the casket and cart then place in front so everyone can hold it as if they are taking the casket to the temple.

Staying on the topic of funerals, the Thai man who ran the successful builders merchants shop at the top of my soi was found dead last week in his bed. Allegedly been dead 2 days. He was estranged from his wife, - a relative of my wife who had formed an association with an employee some 3 years ago.

Cause of death not mentioned by anyone.He was only 53.

Funeral and cremation yesterday, with today the traditional day for taking bones/ashes to the Temple. Not sure if that happened or not, but all day there has been disco music playing..more suited to a wedding of other social event than a funeral. I doubt that is normal custom...my wife and other family members are less than amused!

Yup, same sort of deal in my wife's village. Plus many have some Thai life insurance, which many other family members kick in on paying each year for the elders in the family.

Staying on the topic of funerals, the Thai man who ran the successful builders merchants shop at the top of my soi was found dead last week in his bed. Allegedly been dead 2 days. He was estranged from his wife, - a relative of my wife who had formed an association with an employee some 3 years ago.

Cause of death not mentioned by anyone.He was only 53.

Funeral and cremation yesterday, with today the traditional day for taking bones/ashes to the Temple. Not sure if that happened or not, but all day there has been disco music playing..more suited to a wedding of other social event than a funeral. I doubt that is normal custom...my wife and other family members are less than amused!
Sure it is not the Thai 'funeral' music, which is pretty disco-ish in a Thai way. :) Usually played at massive decibels for three days.

Story time. I was at a relative's funeral many years ago. There was this oddly soothing Thai music playing at the funeral that I quite enjoyed actually. Asked my wife what the music was and she said it was music for the dead. I told her I liked it. She looked at me as though I was insane. 'You like?' she queried. 'Very much' I said. I asked her where I could buy a cd of said music. She said she didn't know, but she'd ask people where they got the music. When she told people I liked the music they were all like 'WTF?' But, trying to please the crazy ass farang, they made me a copy of the music, for which I thanked them. Problem is my wife would not let me play the cd in the house. Said it was 'bad luck'. 55555555555

I have that cd around somewhere. LOL

BTW. Wife and her friend just returned from Z funeral. She did go to Lotus in Prasat and brought me a chicken burger french fries and a coke.;;victory;;

Back