Name of popular Thai stylized font?

Stargazer

Surin Legend
I'm learning the Thai alphabet, and am finding that the stylized font(s) I see in advertising are very different!

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 08.17.25.png
Can someone tell me what Mac font this is? I want to be able to learn these in parallel with the more standard characters.
It's not 'Thonburi', but might be something like Mosse Thai or Mero Thai. I'm not sure.

I'm learning the Thai alphabet, and am finding that the stylized font(s) I see in advertising are very different!

View attachment 47428
Can someone tell me what Mac font this is? I want to be able to learn these in parallel with the more standard characters.
It's not 'Thonburi', but might be something like Mosse Thai or Mero Thai. I'm not sure.

Possibly Manoptica or manop mai ?

What does your wife say ?

I have always known it as modern or cartoon font

That's great, Bandersnatch! Very helpful! It's a good start.
Possibly Manoptica or manop mai ?

What does your wife say ?
Coffee: She says it's a waste of time learning the Thai alphabet, and she's not especially computer literate (except for Facebook). I'm not to sure she knows what a font is :grinning: or cares. I'll look for those font names. My late wife and I learned a fair amount of spoken Mandarin Chinese, but never tackled learning the 40,000 Chinese characters. The system they have called 'Pinyin' is much easier than Thai.

I have always known it as modern or cartoon font

Thanks again. Some of them I might have guessed, but others are a stretch: 1643672759049.png Who'd a thunk? It's like topology, shape-shifting.
The advantage of finding the actual font name/font being used is that it must map all of the characters. I'll keep looking. Oh, this is getting so complicated that few may be interested. A German typography studio calls it 'loopless': Neue Frutiger Thai Modern. A language school just sent me info re: the evolution of loopless letters.

One they refer to as 'Supermarket'. Supermarket font comparison. This completely answers my question.

There is a similar situation with 'Modern' and 'Traditional' Chinese characters. It reminds me a bit of the differences between old fashioned German writing vs. modern. Some schools in the USA are now stopping the teaching of cursive handwriting, and teachers are requiring essays to be submitted in digital form rather than handwritten for legibility.

Last edited:
thai sarabun
Thanks. Not the one, has loops. The closest I've found so far is Kitchakan MonScreen Shot 2022-02-05 at 19.44.33.png
That's great, Bandersnatch! Very helpful! It's a good start.

Coffee: She says it's a waste of time learning the Thai alphabet, and she's not especially computer literate (except for Facebook). I'm not to sure she knows what a font is :grinning: or cares. I'll look for those font names. My late wife and I learned a fair amount of spoken Mandarin Chinese, but never tackled learning the 40,000 Chinese characters. The system they have called 'Pinyin' is much easier than Thai.
Innovative Language, a company that sells language learning on line materials in many languages, just sent me a link to this great lecture on the evolution of loopless Thai:

The Evolution of Thai Loopless Script

Innovative doesn't try teaching loopless, but I'm encouraging them to consider doing so. Loopless is a bit like the difference between serif Roman fonts, and the newer 'San Serif' fonts.

Back