New 10 year visa

B

billp

Recently there was news of a new 10 year visa - here is an update

The criteria for applicants includes :

- Over 50 years of age
-Monthly salary of 100,000 baht - or - 3 million baht in the bank, which cannot be withdrawn within the first year of receiving new visa
- Health insurance that covers hospital stays and provides at least 10,000 USD in annual coverage
- Whist no date of when the new visa will be implemented has been announced , officials hope it will help to promote Thailand as a hub for medical tourism

I understand Thailand is going to be a hub for Hubs. If we listed this throw away comment every time we would have a list as long as your arm. Guess what ?
None of these so called hubs have ever eventuated. Except Thailand being a hub for hub comments.

I think they are going off at a tangent. Why would they try to promote 'a hub for medical tourism' with a 10-year visa? Surely, if you need medical treatment you are in and out of hospital as required for the treatment you need. A 10-year visa suggests a long-term stay and, as such, is more akin to permanent retirement in Thailand, a quasi-permanent resident type of thing. Although it may have one advantage over being a permanent resident - its probably much easier to get a Foreign Deposit Account in Bangkok Bank!

If I was outside Thailand and had a heart attack, I doubt that I'd jump on a plane to Bangkok for medical treatment. I also doubt that any insurance company would meet the cost of treatment - even if I survived. If anyone thought of retiring to Thailand for medical treatment, it might suggest they had pre-existing conditions. (Not always, of course!) If that were the case, the insurance wouldn't cover the conditions or the costs.

Leaving 3M THB in the bank for a year, untouched, might GIVE me heart failure!

At the end of the day , it is , as usual in LOS , all about money - one more falang is neither here or there , but having the use of your 3 million baht interests them greatly
Nail on the head, there Bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what's the point of doing it hey buddy .
10 year visa = 120 visits to immigration WTF.....

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
Get your calculator out and try again!

4 x 90-day report each year x 10 years = 40 reports (90-day) in total. Plus a couple of trips to renew/extend your visa, maybe 42 trips to Immigration over the 10 year period.

Typical builder - hope you don't guild the lily with your house quotations too - LOL!

Get your calculator out and try again!

4 x 90-day report each year x 10 years = 40 reports (90-day) in total. Plus a couple of trips to renew/extend your visa, maybe 42 trips to Immigration over the 10 year period.

Typical builder - hope you don't guild the lily with your house quotations too - LOL!
Thanks mate , was eating pizza lost my mind lol

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

I think they are going off at a tangent. Why would they try to promote 'a hub for medical tourism' with a 10-year visa? Surely, if you need medical treatment you are in and out of hospital as required for the treatment you need. A 10-year visa suggests a long-term stay and, as such, is more akin to permanent retirement in Thailand, a quasi-permanent resident type of thing. Although it may have one advantage over being a permanent resident - its probably much easier to get a Foreign Deposit Account in Bangkok Bank!

In fairness, I think a visa is as much about being allowed to visit as much as it is about residing.

That said, there are Cambodians I have spoken to who will use Bangkok (or Hanoi) for medical purposes but enter under Asean rules..

I think if you have the sort of money/income they are talking about , then you would be better off pursuing a Permanent Resident visa - Maybe Nick would care to give us the benefit of his experience

I think if you have the sort of money/income they are talking about , then you would be better off pursuing a Permanent Resident visa - Maybe Nick would care to give us the benefit of his experience

I applied for Permanent residence in 1989, and it was granted in April 1991. The cost then was 25,000baht + a nominal application fee. Today the minimum cost is around 107,000baht for married foreigners and close on double that if not married.

The main benefit is that I do not need a non-O visa nor an extension. Neither do I need to do 90 day reporting. My only requirement from immigration is a re-entry permit should I wish to leave Thailand and return.

As well as a PR book, I have an Alien Registration book. This is issued by the local police and needs to be updated every 5 years with a new photograph. Cost 800baht. I am also required to have my name put in the house registration book (tabien baan) the blue one -not the yellow one.

Nowadays I think it is possible to go straight for citizenship rather than PR. However I think the requirements for both PR and citizenship are more onerous nowadays and likely require a work permit.

On the downside, passing through immigration when leaving Thailand, either overland or at an airport causes many problems and delays as most immigration officers have not come across PR before, and have to seek help, Several times thay have accepted my word on what and where to stamp. Also I require 2 re-entry permits (one for passport and one for the PR book) at double the cost.

As for obtaining Thai entry price into National Parks historical monuments etc I have found it is most times just as easy to show a Thai driving licence and speak a few words of Thai.

Worth considering for those under 50, but unlikely to be cost effective for those older.

Phuket Immigration in the dark over new ‘10-year’ visa

The Phuket News

1480065874_1-org.jpg

Foreigners wait outside Phuket Immigration. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET:-- An officer at Phuket Immigration today confirmed that the new 10-year “long-stay” visa for foreigners aged 50 or older announced by Cabinet this week will come into effect next Thursday (Dec 1), but said that the Phuket office had so far received no official notice about the requirements.

Although the initial query from The Phuket News this afternoon (Nov 25) was received with confusion, the call was finally handed over to one official who agreed to give comment, but declined to be named.

“It is true that the Cabinet has approved this new visa and has also temporarily waived for three months the fees for single-entry tourist visas for certain countries (see story here),” the officer said.

“Both will take effect on December 1, but our office has yet to receive any official notice (about these), so I cannot give any more details on this,” he added.

Col Apisit Chaiyanuwat, Deputy Minister at the Prime Minister’s Office, announced that the new 10-year visa had been approved following the Cabinet meeting on Tuesday (Nov 22).

The visa will be valid initially for five years and could be renewed for another five, he said.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket...ew-10-year-visa-60012.php#htL1zUUxPdoFhELI.97

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-25

Like this

Anyone that has been here long enough knows that Thai law does not work this way. The law has to be passed then sanctioned by The head of the Royal household (Prem at the moment) Then after being signed off, a 3 month grace period from that date ensues. So has all that been done ??? BS !
I believe it is all speculation as the laws are issued and ordered in the three month grace period to get everyone that needs to know on board. They are not are they?

Everyone except you and I apparently are able to conduct their 90 day reports on-line, therefore only a few trips to Immigration for them (the others).

That said, there are Cambodians I have spoken to who will use Bangkok (or Hanoi) for medical purposes but enter under Asean rules..

I have a mate who lives in Hong Kong who travels to Thailand regularly for hospital treatment. Even considering the flights, hotel bills and the hospital fees he reckons it is still cheaper than Hong Kong.

Back