New Passport and marriage extension.

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
Had a request for some info so hope my experience can help. I went to KCI yesterday to have transferred info from my old pp to my new pp and to apply for a new extension to stay based on marriage. I applied at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai March 6 was I was notified March 12 that I could pick up my new pp at the consulate. 6 day turn around and yes it was made in the USA. For other reasons I was not able to collect tell April 8. During that time my old pp was on me AND still valid it was not canceled until I pickup my new pp at which time after verifying the details of new pp and given the ok in my present the old pp was cancelled. The issue date of my new pp is March 6 the cancellation date of my old pp is April 8. Yesterday May 2 went to KCI and had the new pp activated took about 40 minutes then processed an extension based on marriage.Total time was 2 hours. Cost was 1900 baht for marriage extension and 500 baht for pp. From March 6 to April 8 my old pp was valid. April 8 onward its void. fro April 8 till May 2 I had them together. Also the US Consulate supplies you automatically with a letter from them to immigration verifying that the new passport is original.

An add on. KCI and Chong Chom crossing are on a fully computerized system. PP's are scanned for info and validity.

Thanks for that GL - you Yanks clearly don't have any problems.

As you are aware it is slightly different for Brits with a passport renewal process that has an indeterminable turn round time. Some people have been waiting 8 weeks.

I have explained my situation which is:-

I have a Non-Immigrant 'O' visa with permission to stay until 19th June.

That permission is in my 'old' passport which should now have been cancelled by HMPO in the UK as part of the passport renewal process.

I applied, via VFS in BKK, on 9th April and the credit card payment was taken 16th April.

My intention was to get my new passport and then apply for a retirement extension (my first) - all before I need to travel again on 7th July.

HMPO is in a bugger's muddle and goodness knows when I will see my new passport - hopefully before 19th June.

Question:-

My old passport has over 6 years unexpired tern. What chance of arranging the retirement extension with the old passport (a page and a half left) before 19th June ?

Plan B - attempt a visa run before 19th June to get + 30 days

Thanks for that GL - you Yanks clearly don't have any problems.

As you are aware it is slightly different for Brits with a passport renewal process that has an indeterminable turn round time. Some people have been waiting 8 weeks.

I have explained my situation which is:-

I have a Non-Immigrant 'O' visa with permission to stay until 19th June.

That permission is in my 'old' passport which should now have been cancelled by HMPO in the UK as part of the passport renewal process.

I applied, via VFS in BKK, on 9th April and the credit card payment was taken 16th April.

My intention was to get my new passport and then apply for a retirement extension (my first) - all before I need to travel again on 7th July.

HMPO is in a bugger's muddle and goodness knows when I will see my new passport - hopefully before 19th June.

Question:-

My old passport has over 6 years unexpired tern. What chance of arranging the retirement extension with the old passport (a page and a half left) before 19th June ?

sk
Plan B - attempt a visa run before 19th June to get + 30 days

Plan A. You could ask. They are closed May 5.

Plan B. Yes BUT you stated that your pp is canceled as they are processing your new one. If this is correct then re read my post # 2.

An add on. KCI and Chong Chom crossing are on a fully computerized system. PP's are scanned for info and validity.

I don't actually believe that.

I doubt the UK is linked for routine passport matters.

As Ubonjoe says, lost and stolen maybe.

Your the one that has to call the shot. Take your SHMBO and go to immigration and ask. Have you ever thought that as a Brit this is the forking you get for the forking you gave.T.I.C.

Your the one that has to call the shot. Take your SHMBO and go to immigration and ask. Have you ever thought that as a Brit this is the forking you get for the forking you gave.T.I.C.

I have a feeling that if the going gets tough the SWMBO will be no friggin use at all!

If it comes to Thai vs Falang I don't need anyone else to be on the opposition side.

What does the UK Embassy say about the status of your old pp while waiting for your new pp ?

I don't actually believe that.

I doubt the UK is linked for routine passport matters.

As Ubonjoe says, lost and stolen maybe.

CoCo
I was in a similar situation and crossed at Chon Chom a month ago with both new and old UK passports. Obviously I held back new one when crossing and there was absolutely no problems, so in my book, the Thai immigration do NOT seem to know if your passport has been cancelled.

CoCo
I was in a similar situation and crossed at Chon Chom a month ago with both new and old UK passports. Obviously I held back new one when crossing and there was absolutely no problems, so in my book, the Thai immigration do NOT seem to know if your passport has been cancelled.

The problem is he does not have have his new pp, he is waiting for it and as he indicates the old pp is canceled. What you did can be done but what CO-CO is asking is,,shale we say in that gray area at the least.

The problem is he does not have have his new pp, he is waiting for it and as he indicates the old pp is canceled. What you did can be done but what CO-CO is asking is,,shale we say in that gray area at the least.

Yes that's true GL and what I was trying to advise is that my old passport was used when going in and out of Chon Chom after it had been cancelled/replaced with no problems.

Good luck!

What does the UK Embassy say about the status of your old pp while waiting for your new pp ?

UK embassy have abrogated responsibility to HMPO who use VFS as 'agents' (nothing more than a postbox) in BKK.

I feel like a Millwall supporter..............."No one likes us...."

Last edited:
UK embassy have abrogated responsibility to HMPO who use VFS as 'agents' (nothing more than a postbox) in BKK.

I feel like a Millwall supporter..............."No one likes us...."

This much is clear..You ain't going do no official asking until Tuesday as Monday is a holiday so chill out and have a few cold ones. Chokdee5 P.S. You have time. We shall keep working on this.

Back