No need to worry says Bangkok Immigration Commander

Moderator3

SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Staff member
No need to worry says Bangkok Immigration Commander

xvoravat-amornvivat.jpg.pagespeed.ic.QGs-BWx3-x.jpg

Deputy Commander and Police Colonel
Voravat Amornvivat file photo

BANGKOK:-- [thaivisa.com] After the confusion surrounding the news that all foreigners in Thailand are required to carry their passport with them at all times, Thaivisa.com has today obtained official clarification on this matter.

Earlier this afternoon, Thaivisa.com spoke to Deputy Commander and Police Colonel Voravat Amornvivat, a senior official at Immigration headquarters in Bangkok.

Deputy Commander Voravat wanted to reassure the expat community in Thailand about the current situation.

He told Thaivsia.com that information in an article published by The Nation on 31 July 2014, was incorrect.

Deputy Commander Voravat confirmed that foreign tourists and expats do not need to carry their passports with them at all times.

He said that tourists can of course leave their passports locked in their hotel safe and enjoy their holiday in Thailand without worrying about the need to carry their original passport.

Deputy Commander Voravat also said that for expats living here, a Thai driving license or photocopy of your passport can be used as a form of identification.

However, if Immigration Police suspect an individual to be overstaying in Thailand or being involved in illegal activity, then the individual would be required to produce their original passport promptly.

Deputy Commander Voravat referred to Section 58, which reads as follows:

Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under section 12(1);....under this Act; and has no identification in accordance with the Law on Alien registration, is considered to have entered the Kingdom in violation of the Act.

Entering or staying in Thailand without holding a valid passport and visa/extension is subject a fine and possible prison sentence.

“Making all foreigners in Thailand carry their original passports with them would be very difficult.”

“It’s about being reasonable and using common sense”

“But if we think a foreigner is involved in illegal activity then we will of course need to see their original passport, this is normal”, said Deputy Commander Voravat.

Deputy Commander Voravat is eager to avoid further misunderstandings and miscommunication regarding immigration matters and is happy to work with Thaivisa.com in the future in order to provide correct information to foreign tourists and the wider expat community in Thailand.

Thaivisa.com thanks Deputy Commander Voravat for his interview and taking time to clarify the situation.

The idea of foreigners being able to get a copy of their passport officially stamped by Immigration is currently not an option. However, it is always a good idea to have a copy of your passport with you at all times while in Thailand.

-- thaivisa.com 2014-07-31

Thank you, some good old common sense at last. ThumbUp6

The funny thing about common sense is. That it is just not that common.

Thank goodness this issue is being sorted in a rational way. That we can all live with.
I was having visions of this issue hitting the occasional tourists and turning them away from Thailand in droves as a Police state.

I am now pleased that I made the earlier decision not to panic.

It most likely was going to be the case..like everything Thai! Do something stupid before you think about the consequence!

I was seriously thinking about relocating the business and moving elsewhere...so many hoops and hurdles in everyday business life without them trying to shake you down for not having your passport with you at all times. We don't carry on like that with the Thais who've started a new life in our countries.

It is really pretty impressive how reactive the "government" is.
I haven't taken too much interest in politics over here on the basis that it is better to keep your head down but they seem to have made an impressive start since the coup.
Now all they need to do is stop the fragmented local offices and officials making up their own rules.
Perhaps Thailand will have a better future than we thought possible (but bang goes an exchange rate of 70 baht = 1 GBP)

Impressive credentials,,
Name : Voravat
Lastname : Amornvivat
Rank Police : Colonel
Current Position : Police Superintendent
Work : Bangkok Immigration, Immigration Bureau Royal Thai Police DOB 11 April 1966
Educational Background and Training
MPA San Diego ,CA, USA
FBI National Academy, Quantico ,VA , USA Police Cadet Academy , Royal Thai Pilice Austalian Federal Police College
Career background
Deputy Inspector, Criminal Supression , Lumpini Metropolitan Police Station
Inspector, Southern Metropolitan Police
Deputy Superintendent , Patumwan Metropolitan Police Station Superintendent, Jiveniles and Woman Safety
Superintendent, Suwannabhumi International Airport Superintendent, Bangkok Immigration

It is really pretty impressive how reactive the "government" is.
I haven't taken too much interest in politics over here on the basis that it is better to keep your head down but they seem to have made an impressive start since the coup.
Now all they need to do is stop the fragmented local offices and officials making up their own rules.
Perhaps Thailand will have a better future than we thought possible (but bang goes an exchange rate of 70 baht = 1 GBP)

I know Colin. Like you I am a good Northern lad with strong Labour antecedents. I was at university in the late 60s and Woodstock and the summer of love were strong formative influences. Who would have thought, all these years later, I would be speaking up and positively about a military junta.....but I am!!
Hey-ho....guess it's just an age thing!

I'm so happy that...

...I can remove that paperwork out of my bum Moon2
It was starting to itch but at least I would have identification on me (er, in me) at all times T.I.C.

Strange thing, John...

I know Colin. Like you I am a good Northern lad with strong Labour antecedents. I was at university in the late 60s and Woodstock and the summer of love were strong formative influences. Who would have thought, all these years later, I would be speaking up and positively about a military junta.....but I am!!
Hey-ho....guess it's just an age thing!

...I would have never known that you were into psychedelics as your tennis game is mighty fine...and I really do mean mighty fine. ("Visualize that ace, mate.") T.I.C.
Welcome home.

I'll Check it Out

OK... From what I read in the article and interview with the head of immigration, even if you don't have to carry the original passport at all times it's highly advisable that you carry a copy of the passport with you.. Just in case... Am I right on that? Just out of habit I always have my original passport with me when I leave the local area... That's just habit.. I've been doing that for decades.. I've only been asked for the passport once and that was recently by the army.. If I can carry a copy then that would be much better but dealing with the police and dealing with the army are 2 different things.. For right now I'll just wait and see.. Things are changing almost by the hour.. I'll wait for the dust to finally settle and go from there...

Showing the passport

In 23 years I have been asked for my passport three times, twice on the bus from Tak to Mae Sot (Burmese border), and once just south of Lampang on Nakornchai Air on my way back to Buriram. All three times were by the police.

BTW, Sawat Amornvivat, maybe this guy's father, was a Police General and Senator for Chiangmai. Quite a prominent family, I believe.

In 23 years I have been asked for my passport three times, twice on the bus from Tak to Mae Sot (Burmese border), and once just south of Lampang on Nakornchai Air on my way back to Buriram. All three times were by the police.

BTW, Sawat Amornvivat, maybe this guy's father, was a Police General and Senator for Chiangmai. Quite a prominent family, I believe.

What is the identification requirement for checking into a Thai hotel. Will ID suffice, or is it/should it be a passport at all times

Just this week I used just my passport to check in 3 foreigners in a hotel in Khon Kaen. The names of the 2 with me were unknown to the hotel and remained so!

What is the identification requirement for checking into a Thai hotel. Will ID suffice, or is it/should it be a passport at all times

Just this week I used just my passport to check in 3 foreigners in a hotel in Khon Kaen. The names of the 2 with me were unknown to the hotel and remained so!

This is what I mentioned before. So does the onus go back on the farang traveling around? My wife always checks in as Mr and Mrs and just uses her ID. The hotel does not know I am a farang and they need to report me. This system has more holes then a sieve.
Does anyone think for a second that if the authorities were looking for say Mr Big Crim do you think they could tap into this system to find him?

This is what I mentioned before. So does the onus go back on the farang traveling around? My wife always checks in as Mr and Mrs and just uses her ID. The hotel does not know I am a farang and they need to report me. This system has more holes then a sieve.
Does anyone think for a second that if the authorities were looking for say Mr Big Crim do you think they could tap into this system to find him?

Next week I shall travel to Buriram. I shall stay overnight. I will not take my passport.

Does anyone think that the Amari will tell me to fcuk off ?

Next week I shall travel to Buriram. I shall stay overnight. I will not take my passport.

Does anyone think that the Amari will tell me to fcuk off ?

Why should they Co-Co, as you will be most unlikely to even cross their threshold!:smile:

Don't fight the system, live with it. We are all guests in Thailand!

Why should they Co-Co, as you will be most unlikely to even cross their threshold!:smile:

Don't fight the system, live with it. We are all guests in Thailand!

Mai cow jai. Could you reorganise the first sentence into English for me ?

I am not a guest in Thailand. No one invited me and I am not a temporary visitor.

Back