Noe more CR's from Korat Immigration.

Is the Cert of Residency (CR) mandatory to make a Drivers License (DL) , yes or no ?

So officially where does KCI want farangs to go to obtain this CR ?

What must one show as proof to make a CR ?

Passport, O-visa, hotel rental contract, bank books ?

Your knowledgeable reply based on fact will always be appreciated.

So officially where does KCI want farangs to go to obtain this CR ?

Your knowledgeable reply based on fact will always be appreciated.

KCI does not give a shit and are saying f**k off. Korat immigration has joined that list.

There is no official list BUT first go to your LDT and ask them who they will accept. Now go to your cop shop and ask if they will. There was a time Surin Cop Shops would NOT do this.. You can ask at your local amphur office. Expect to pay tea money. If all else fails its a 450km trip to Bangkok and a 1500 baht charge from Uncle Sam. Brits pay 2500 baht.

KCI does not give a shit and are saying f**k off. Korat immigration has joined that list.

There is no official list BUT first go to your LDT and ask them who they will accept. Now go to your cop shop and ask if they will. There was a time Surin Cop Shops would NOT do this.. You can ask at your local amphur office. Expect to pay tea money. If all else fails its a 450km trip to Bangkok and a 1500 baht charge from Uncle Sam. Brits pay 2500 baht.

You can usually use a yellow book (if you have one) instead of CR right?

My 5 year Driving license is up for renewal in September. Oh Joy!

Knowledgeable replies based on fact will always be appreciated.

Knowledgeable replies based on fact will always be appreciated.

Need to ask your local amphur it will very. No 2 amphurs have the same requirments.

Last edited:

News Flash!!!!

During my extended walk around at KCI today, VIP treatment all the way I might add, my wife did inquire about the Letter of Residency and was this service still provided by KCI. Contrary to what has been written earlier, the 3-ringer boss said very clearly that the Letter could be provided by KCI subject to receiving an official request in writing by the department that required it. He gave an example of a driving licence and said the applicant would need to obtain a letter from the Driving Licence Center. The applicant would bring this letter of request to Immigration and they would then provide a Letter of Residency for the applicant.

Make what you will of this. However, it seems it is still possible to get a Letter of Residency from KCI provided you have a letter requesting one from the department that needs it.

News Flash!!!!

During my extended walk around at KCI today, VIP treatment all the way I might add, my wife did inquire about the Letter of Residency and was this service still provided by KCI. Contrary to what has been written earlier, the 3-ringer boss said very clearly that the Letter could be provided by KCI subject to receiving an official request in writing by the department that required it. He gave an example of a driving licence and said the applicant would need to obtain a letter from the Driving Licence Center. The applicant would bring this letter of request to Immigration and they would then provide a Letter of Residency for the applicant.

Make what you will of this. However, it seems it is still possible to get a Letter of Residency from KCI provided you have a letter requesting one from the department that needs it.

Seems very reasonable, that's why I won't believe it is possible. Sorry that's what I make of it, as you say NM. I may of become a wee bit jaded though.

I am a little confused about the embassy bit. Will the embassy (British) write a very extortionately priced letter to confirm where I live? I think not. They may write "he has told us he lives at ***************** and we have no reason to disbelieve him". They haven't a clue where I live.

Seems very reasonable, that's why I won't believe it is possible. Sorry that's what I make of it, as you say NM. I may of become a wee bit jaded though.

What prompted this discussion was a conversation initiated by my wife with the senior Immigration Official. Unbeknown to me she had asked about Blue Books and Yellow Books and getting my name added to one or the other. He asked why after so many years did I need a Yellow Book? She told him something like to get him (me) to keep quiet because I always ask, every now and again, why don't I have my own Yellow Book. The long and the short of it is that she was told to go to the Town Hall and ask for a Yellow Book for me. They gave her a printed paper from Immigration verifying my personal details and address. If the Town Hall wanted a formal Letter of Residency she was to return to Immigration, with the written request from the Town Hall, and they would provide the same. Going to the Town Hall tomorrow so I will update when the Yellow Book is provided or otherwise.

What prompted this discussion was a conversation initiated by my wife with the senior Immigration Official. Unbeknown to me she had asked about Blue Books and Yellow Books and getting my name added to one or the other. He asked why after so many years did I need a Yellow Book? She told him something like to get him (me) to keep quiet because I always ask, every now and again, why don't I have my own Yellow Book. The long and the short of it is that she was told to go to the Town Hall and ask for a Yellow Book for me. They gave her a printed paper from Immigration verifying my personal details and address. If the Town Hall wanted a formal Letter of Residency she was to return to Immigration, with the written request from the Town Hall, and they would provide the same. Going to the Town Hall tomorrow so I will update when the Yellow Book is provided or otherwise.

It is pretty easy to get the yellow book Nomad, well it was for me. Just went along with the wife to the Amphur and she did all the talking and it was done. I think.

Yellow Book - Mission Accomplished

Mission accomplished.

Jane001017.jpg

Thank you Wombat it was as easy as you said. Take photocopies of your documents and 2 passport photos of self, sit down with the big boss and let the wife do all the talking. However, he does speak good English and likes to practice. So, be prepared to spend some talking to the big boss too.

I asked how much for the Yellow Book and I was told very politely that there was no charge. It was a free service.

Back