O-A Visa Extension

I do look at Thai Visa now and then. There are a lot of stupid bitter people on there who give Farang a bad name with there bitter comments about Thailand , Thai immigration and Thai people.
I believe that Thai immigration read forums.
So is it any wonder that a some immigration think Farang living in there country do not deserve to live here and if they are not here should go back to there own countries.
And we all could be getting back lash from some immigration officers.
And if that is the case. I don't blame them for there feelings.

These type of people are the same wherever they are.

But there are some good members on there as well who are a great help ex: Ubon Joe.

To give a example.
After the second world war.
People from the UK had assistance from the NZ govt. to live and work in NZ.
They complained about the country and were always saying how much better it was at home. [UK ]
They got into the unions and caused all sorts of strife.
They were named the whinging Pom''s. Not all from the UK were like that but all of them got painted with the same brush..
For many years any people from the UK were disliked greatly.
Do Thai immigration and some Thai people look at all expates living here in Thailand the same way?
Many Dutch people payed there own way to NZ and worked very hard.
They did well and and were well liked.
I am not putting people from the UK down.
But it is a good example of what some people on forums are doing here in Thailand and most likely other countries too.
Most of us, me includes voice what we feel at times.
But I think we should be more careful of where and when we spout off. It was and is our choice.
Same here in Australia Deerculler. My wife can't believe the whinging Thais here now waiting on Temporary visas or Bridging visas and can't get Centrelink payments, Home rental assistance and payments for their Thai offsprings once they've used the Aussie to sponsor them and done a runner.
Everything was better for them in Liarland.
As you say Immigration reads the stuff too, here.

I do look at Thai Visa now and then. There are a lot of stupid bitter people on there who give Farang a bad name with there bitter comments about Thailand , Thai immigration and Thai people.
I believe that Thai immigration read forums.
So is it any wonder that a some immigration think Farang living in there country do not deserve to live here and if they are not here should go back to there own countries.
And we all could be getting back lash from some immigration officers.
And if that is the case. I don't blame them for there feelings.

These type of people are the same wherever they are.

But there are some good members on there as well who are a great help ex: Ubon Joe.

To give a example.
After the second world war.
People from the UK had assistance from the NZ govt. to live and work in NZ.
They complained about the country and were always saying how much better it was at home. [UK ]
They got into the unions and caused all sorts of strife.
They were named the whinging Pom''s. Not all from the UK were like that but all of them got painted with the same brush..
For many years any people from the UK were disliked greatly.
Do Thai immigration and some Thai people look at all expates living here in Thailand the same way?
Many Dutch people payed there own way to NZ and worked very hard.
They did well and and were well liked.
I am not putting people from the UK down.
But it is a good example of what some people on forums are doing here in Thailand and most likely other countries too.
Most of us, me includes voice what we feel at times.
But I think we should be more careful of where and when we spout off. It was and is our choice.
Good post @Deerculler.

A case of mis-identity is the likely cause of this spat between friends on our Surin Forum. If we look to being solution-conscious instead of antagonistic, we might wonder why Wayne Drummond's post on Facebook's Thai visa advice Group is even mentioned here. He does not appear to be a member of our SF Forum - though others might assume that he is/was.

There are several Surin Groups on Facebook. He seems to live near Sangkha, and someone might recognise his photos if they take a look at his FB page.

Reviewing the FB Thai visa advice group a few moments ago revealed that Mr Drummond seems to have edited his post to read as follows:

"I am asking for a friend who is gonna relocate here, in December.
Have also asked in local forum which seems more focussed on food options...., and still awaiting response. But does anyone have a list of the "CURRENT" requirements for a 12-month extension of stay at Surin Immigration Office, Kap Cheong district. (Non-Imm O-A) category visa entry. This will be first application this province. Have had previous extensions both Bangkok and Pattaya."

Plus 1 more.

They seem quite well informed. As to what forms are required for Surin Immigration, I did post a comprehensive list a couple of years ago.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Completed T.M. 7 with recent colour photograph.

2. Copy of front page of passport, together with supporting pages of previous extensions.

3. Signed copy of STM 2 - Acknowledgement of Terms and Conditions for Permit of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand.

4. Copy of personal Yellow Tabien Baan.

5. Map of where I live.

6. Summary of UK Income, with supporting documentation from each of my 3 pension providers.

7. Record of transfers to Thailand, month by month, for the past 12 months, downloaded from TransferWise and formatted to show monthly transfers and totals.

8. Bank statement for the past 12 months obtained from Bangkok Bank.

9. I will take with me my Passport, Yellow Tabien Baan and updated Bank Passbook.

Notes:

1. Following a conversation between my wife and Surin Immigration a few days ago, I was informed that it was not necessary to obtain a letter from Bangkok Bank confirming my account.

2. My wife will accompany me as I find most of the talking is between my wife and the Immigration Officer. We have been doing this together since 2004 and we know most of the senior officers in Surin Immigration. The application is usually submitted in an informal and relaxed atmosphere.

3. My wife has prepared a copy of her ID Card, Blue Tabien Baan and a completed TM 30 (Notification from House Master/Owner of Residence Where Alien Has Stayed).

---------------------------------------------------------------

N.B. No matter how prepared one may be, it should be noted that the paperwork requirements to extend one's permission to remain in Thailand can and do change year by year. Each year I submit my TM 7, I find a new requirement that I have not been asked for before. For example, last December 2020, I had to leave the Immigration Office and obtain a letter from the Bank Manager, the previous year this letter was not required. Someone else has recently posted, every page of the passport should now be copied, including all the blank pages too. TIT.

I cannot tick "like" because I definitely "don't like". Now £3 million because that is to "help" long-term visitors get hospital treatment - do me a favour!!! London wouldn't grant me a 1-year visa last year because "we are not issuing them"
Every aspect is utter confusion at the present time. I have again had to postpone coming back from UK because, although having the re-entry permit means no visa issues, firstly I don't know what to book for Cert of Entry which is becoming "Thailand Pass" but we don't know what that means; secondly there is now "no quarantine", except yes there is quarantine for PCR testing, but no details of how to organise it and how many days in practice?, therefore thirdly the time of arrival by whichever airline I book might also be important, and fourthly I cannot book travel on to Surin either.

And it won't be with Thai Airlines because it is hundreds of £££s more expensive than others and isn't flexible either, which is no good if, heaven forbid, I tested positive before the flight. Don't they realise? (And they still owe me for the last cancelled flight.)
Meanwhile the Embassy is still insisting on all the existing C of E details with pre-paid $100,000 or 3.5 million THB insurance (not 3million, they told me that is not good enough???) and 7-days pre-paid for quarantine.

Incompetence isn't a good enough description.

John, I guess you are aware that your post has been/is being overtaken by events.

But....if you want absolute clarity you will have to wait a few days for the embassy to catch up with current announcements.

2. Copy of front page of passport, together with supporting pages of previous extensions.

As far as I am aware, it is also a requirement to have a copy of your current TM6, a copy of the page with your last entry stamp (the same stamp as on the TM6), A copy of the page which has the last visa on which you entered Thailand (or the transfer of said visa from your previous passport(s)).

4. Copy of personal Yellow Tabien Baan.

5. Map of where I live.

Neither of those were required when I applied for and obtained my extension of stay last May.

However, I do keep them with me should they be required next year.

Last edited:
The O_A visa extension is really quite easy and strait forward.

Except for the ฿3,000,000.00 insurance?

Other than the requirements for obtaining an O-A visa following postings on this forum, I've never really researched the information required to extend an O-A visa. Is it much different from extending your stay on a Non-O?

John, I guess you are aware that your post has been/is being overtaken by events.

But....if you want absolute clarity you will have to wait a few days for the embassy to catch up with current announcements.
Thanks for that, indeed I have.
Luma Insurance and Novotel Bangkok Airport both said yesterday that they have no answers or official guidance and will have to hold meetings next week.
Thai Embassy silent/won't answer and still posting 1st October C of Entry $100,000 rules.
Watch this space.

As 3 extra general points.
1) Luma Insurance currently had a separate MSIG Inbound Basic Health Insurance that covered folks aged 76-99 - was 9899THB for 3 months and I was going to use that. Companies recommended on the Embassy site all stopped at age 75 or less.
2) The Thaiger list of current visas that you posted could also be out of date. For example, I had always used the 1-year non-imm multi-entry visa for many years, but last year they stopped it for no particular reason. Nor was London granting new O-A visas (I organised and paid-for one but lost all the cost, time and effort), hence I could only get a 90-day one and later got my 1-year retirement extension through the local system.
3) Airline bookings are now an increasing minefield of hidden traps. Apparently attractive quoted figures are not real. Factors range from hand baggage only, high baggage costs when asked for, flexible changing meaning only for a couple of weeks after issue. Info on Skyscanner is particularly misleading. Momondo is a better example. Caveat emptor.

When I did my Extension of Stay(due date 27Jan)& 90 days report on the 11 Jan,The IO could only give me an Extsn until 21st June,as that was the expiry date of my PP but she said come back with your new PP & we will transfer the stamp into it.
Well nxt 90 dys due on 10th ,so I went today & I was expecting them to put a Extsn Stamp in the new PP ,with expiry date 27 Jan 23.
But they ve put 2 stamps in the new PP (1 re date of last arrival in BKK Oct/14.
and the other I can stay until 21 June 22 & be sure to get a re-entry if I leave.
Had paid B500 for this result(with no recpt given)
Pointed out this action s unfair as I now have to do the Extension Process again in June(5 mths after the last one/another B1900 .Another farang was helping me discus with them but they gave impression not too bothered
Any ideas anyone-Should I go to KC & get them to check it or do you think that will lead to more trouble with Immigration on ring road.
In the lift as I m leaving I notice a Poster with Gen Pryat saying No Corruption here.

Why did you pay 500 baht? Was this to transfer your old visa details to the new passport? If so you were done. I received my new passport at the end of November 2021 and got the old details transferred to my new passport on 7 December. There was no charge, no fee.

I was in a similar situation to you. My passport expired in October 2022, and my extension of stay expired end of December 2021. If I renewed my ext of stay on the old passport I knew the ext of stay would only run until Oct 2022, the date of expiry of the old passport. I decided to renew my old passport and get the full 12 months for my ext of stay. I was a little touch and go with the long delays for new passports from the UK but Nick managed it. I sent it in immediately after a 90-day report and just got the new passport back in time for the next 90-day report. Ok, I lost some 10 months on the old passport but I got the full year on my ext to stay.

From what I have heard, stay with the Immigration on the ring road.

Think if I were you, I'd go back to the same office, ask to speak to the boss because, you think there has been a 'mistake' made. That way it gives them the opportunity to not lose-face and put the matter right. Once the matter is resolved, pop back in with some kind of thank-you gift. That way you will not be remembered as a trouble-maker.

I had the details transferred from my old to my new passport at the same time as applying for an extension of stay at Kap Cheong last May. Immigration also confrmed a further 90 day report although that I hadn't asked for. There was no additional charge above the ฿1,900.00.

Back