Free to go ... bus pass, TV licence, winter fuel & eye tests

Exclusive
By TOM NEWTON DUNN, Political Editor

Published: 10 hrs ago

hX+zQAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

eX4DKuVtXDsPfl0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=
https://twitter.com/share
QGpQgZMnTwIAc6M3U4ObOZEAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

MINISTERS are drawing up controversial plans to axe freebie perks for ALL new pensioners, rich or poor.

Winter fuel allowance, free bus passes, TV licences and eye tests would all be scrapped to eventually save billions.
Under the idea being worked on in the Treasury, poorer people who retire would be compensated for the loss by a boost to their pension credits.
Crucially, the move would allow PM David Cameron to say he has fulfilled his rash election pledge to ring-fence benefits for current pensioners until 2015 — as it would only apply to people who have not yet stopped working.
It would also be a victory for The Sun’s “Ditch Handouts to The Rich” campaign, which highlights the scandal of £2billion in taxpayers’ cash going to wealthy OAPs who do not need it.
One minister told The Sun: “We cannot carry on handing over a fortune to elderly millionaires while working people cut back.”
A growing number of Cabinet ministers are speaking out, and Deputy PM Nick Clegg yesterday savaged handouts to the rich as indefensible. The Institute for Fiscal Studies has calculated restricting new claimants would save £115million in the first year alone.
If No 10 backs the plan, it could be unveiled in a spending review in June, or even in Chancellor George Osborne’s Budget in March.
More than 100,000 households with income over £100,000 a year currently get the winter fuel allowance of £200, or £300 for over-80s.

I've already resigned myself to the belief that I will never receive a State pension, I will turn 68 in 2048, we'll be lucky If we're not eating each other by then.

What a shower of shit the Nanny State has become.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already resigned myself to the belief that I will never receive a State pension, I will turn 68 in 2048, we'll be lucky If we're not eating each other by then.

What a shower of shit the Nanny State has become.

At least you have time to make your own pension arrangements.

Back