Old Photos from the Neighbourhood

georgefromcanada

You chose a custom title
Found these on another website, 270 pages of photos, I narrowed them down to ones of local importance

Haenangmaewceremony.jpg
Boon Bang Fai Ceremony/Festival in Yasothorn 1974

3182165896_e8201475fc.jpg
Country wedding in 1979 Sisaket2662680267_a2389fd11f.jpg
Sisaket {Phrai Bueng} gathering of 19641922sisaket.jpg
Family of 1922 Siaket pose during tamboon...
1892surin-a.jpg
1892 Surin [note the heavy Khmer influence]

1901suringirls.png
Harvesting rice of 1901 Surin Province
1964-sisaket-khukhan-hospital.jpg
Staff of Sisaket's Khukhan Hospital - 1964
1970-ubon-go-go-girls.png
Ubon promotional posters of 1970

This is what I porloined from the first 113 pages of Teakdoors Siam Photo thread
damn I wish i could make their search function work for me. More to come if enough interest

1904-preah-vinear-french-thai-khmer-court-ruling-examination.jpg
Preah Vihear French, Thai, and Khmer officials and scholars examine the ancient ruins under the direction of the court ruling....1904
1895-close-up-surin-theatre-players.jpg
Close-up....Surin lakorn players of 1895
1953-surin-miss-songkran-contest.jpg
Lovely Khmer...A 1953 proverbial Miss Songkran contest in Surin.....a practice [holiday pageants] that was expected from the 1920s through the 1960s throughout most provinces - the tradition has faded as novel today.

Looks like they are using the kid as bait....:smiley:

My wife's grandfather and grand uncle were one of the first in their area where they started a village many years ago, about an hour's drive from Surin toward Kap Choeng. She told me there were wild tigers and elephants in the area back in the day her gramps and great uncle were founding the village. Happy Village it's called. Non Sabai or something like that. Like 100 years ago or so.

My wife's grandfather and grand uncle were one of the first in their area where they started a village many years ago, about an hour's drive from Surin toward Kap Choeng. She told me there were wild tigers and elephants in the area back in the day her gramps and great uncle were founding the village. Happy Village it's called. Non Sabai or something like that. Like 100 years ago or so.

Now all rice fields. LOL Though some of the houses look almost the same as those in the pics shown. Now tin roofs instead of thatch.

They were also the only Lao village in the area. All Khmer except our family village, still is I think really.

Back