PizzaHut to open first Surin

I'd imagine they weren't cheap back then. Mozzarella cheese was not easy to get in Surin (likely bought and delivered from Bangkok at a premium in those days) and was expensive to do so. As well as Pepperoni and Italian Salami. Nearly impossible to buy in Surin, even the first few years BigC and Makro were open. These days you can get Mozzarella easily in Surin (Makro is well stocked). But though Pepperoni and Salami are readily available they are far from being inexpensive, rather the opposite. (By the by, Makro in Buriran is always less expensive for salami and pepperoni for some reason.)

I remember that his restaurant business was not booming so he resorted to making "mini pizzas" which he took down to the Night Plaza around 18:00 to sell at ฿25.00 each. That didn't go down well either.

I don't think there'll be many items on the menu for ฿60.00 in Pizza Hut.
Just a few:

upload_2020-7-13_19-1-47.png

107721832_3351048964929269_582151959906481427_o.jpg

I remember that his restaurant business was not booming so he resorted to making "mini pizzas" which he took down to the Night Plaza around 18:00 to sell at ฿25.00 each. That didn't go down well either.

I remember way back then just getting a French bread loaf was nigh on impossible. There was a bakery near the Boxing Stadium at the end of the Night Market street that had some each morning he made. But you'd better be there when he opened to get one, as they went quick.

I remember way back then just getting a French bread loaf was nigh on impossible. There was a bakery near the Boxing Stadium at the end of the Night Market street that had some each morning he made. But you'd better be there when he opened to get one, as they went quick.

I believe that bakery is still there. Nee (Farang Connection) used to buy her burger buns there. As they would only bake those in bulk a few of us would add to her order for our 2 or 3s.

I believe that bakery is still there. Nee (Farang Connection) used to buy her burger buns there. As they would only bake those in bulk a few of us would add to her order for our 2 or 3s.

I think it is still there. Would have to look and see some day.

I'd imagine they weren't cheap back then. Mozzarella cheese was not easy to get in Surin (likely bought and delivered from Bangkok at a premium in those days) and was expensive to do so.

I think that either on the date that Makro first opened, or just after, they had 2 kg blocks of Mozzarella on sale. I cannot remember the price and, because I had no use for 2 kg of cheese then, I didn't buy any and therefore have no idea of the quality.

I think that either on the date that Makro first opened, or just after, they had 2 kg blocks of Mozzarella on sale. I cannot remember the price and, because I had no use for 2 kg of cheese then, I didn't buy any and therefore have no idea of the quality.

Yeah, and Martin was buying the blocks of cheese up and reselling them, cutting and parceling them up. :) He was buying them all at once. If I remember right he went and bought a tall refrigerator display to store them in and display them right near the bar. :)

If I remember it right Makro was the first to open. Then Big C not much later. A couple/few months, maybe more, later Tesco opened as well.

Yeah, and Martin was buying the blocks of cheese up and reselling them, cutting and parceling them up. :) He was buying them all at once. If I remember right he went and bought a tall refrigerator display to store them in and display them right near the bar. :)

Yes he was. Although that was the Cheddar. What mark up he was asking I can't remember but in those days the Cheddar was around ฿400.00/kg in Makro.

If I remember it right Makro was the first to open. Then Big C not much later. A couple/few months, maybe more, later Tesco opened as well.

Almost, it was Makro then Tesco-Lotus then Big 'C'. I cannot remember the timing.

Back