Presentation by HM Consul from British Embassy in BKK

I can't be arsed in reading all the claptrap promises on there (and some of the print is difficult to read for me) but where does it say that expat residents in Thailand will receive cost of living increases on their pensions in the future?

Most of what is printed seem to be bullshit to me. Help for ex-pats in Thailand is virtually non-existent. For example: what benefits? As Nick keeps reminding everyone, there are no benefits. As to pensions, yours is frozen in time when you receive it.

1673690316488.png

Most of what is printed seem to be bullshit to me. Help for ex-pats in Thailand is virtually non-existent. For example: what benefits? As Nick keeps reminding everyone, there are no benefits. As to pensions, yours is frozen in time when you receive it.

View attachment 58700

I can imagine what that advice will be. "Please contact your local MP because we don't give a shit". And I'm aware of the failures when contacting my local MP.

I can imagine what that advice will be. "Please contact your local MP because we don't give a shit". And I'm aware of the failures when contacting my local MP.
@Yorky You know as well as all of us that by virtue of our living permanently in Thailand, our pensions are frozen and no increases will be forthcoming.

Only exceptions are when visiting the UK, and certain other countries, when you can receive the increased pension for the duration of your stay. Upon return, pensions revert to the former frozen amount.

There are of course quite a number of Brits here in Thailand who receive state pension and will receive the forthcoming 10.1% increase and future increases by virtue of their claiming from a UK address and indicating that the UK is their main abode.

So what are these do-gooders offering then to us UK expats?

It's just a load of bollocks!

I wonder if they could knock some sense into the idiots who are responsible for delivering my replacement UK passport?

I have made contact advising them of the problem.

I wonder if it will take them 6 months to respond? They said "as soon as possible" but I've heard that before.

Last edited:
The British Embassy exist to assist British manufacturers trading here in Thailand. In my years here they have not assisted us farangs at all, except for an exorbitant charge for an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry document. To my knowledge they have never assisted the Thai widows of Brits who have died here in Thailand. Useless shower!

Did anyone watch the video?
A partial yes, I have just watched the first 10 minutes or so, watched being the operative word. I could not hear a single word spoken by the gentleman. And I am sorry, while I could hear the lady in question, what a load of waffles! There is no chance that I can sit through a further 1 hour and 23 minutes of that.

A partial yes, I have just watched the first 10 minutes or so, watched being the operative word. I could not hear a single word spoken by the gentleman. And I am sorry, while I could hear the lady in question, what a load of waffles! There is no chance that I can sit through a further 1 hour and 23 minutes of that.

You have greater perseverance than I (who gave up after a minute or so).

I posted the video because some of the stories about the difficulties that some Brits have got into in Thailand might be a reminder to make some preparations.

For example:
Do you have a will and have you appointed an executor in Thailand and the same for the UK if you have assets there?
Have you setup a power of attorney in case you become incapacitated or suffer from dementia?
What happens if you loose access to your bank accounts such as forgetting your passwords or pin numbers?
Does anyone else know the details of your medical insurance if end up in hospital?

I posted the video because some of the stories about the difficulties that some Brits have got into in Thailand might be a reminder to make some preparations.

For example:
Do you have a will and have you appointed an executor in Thailand and the same for the UK if you have assets there?
Have you setup a power of attorney in case you become incapacitated or suffer from dementia?
What happens if you loose access to your bank accounts such as forgetting your passwords or pin numbers?
Does anyone else know the details of your medical insurance if end up in hospital?
All taken care of Bandy--updated 2 months back.

There are many expats here in Thailand, of all nationalities, who are cohabiting, but not married legally -just a village "wedding", who believe that their partners will inherit all upon their death. This is not the case. Marriage is usually adequate in some countries for the wife to inherit some or all of the assets, but being unmarried and without a Will, the partner gets nothing.

Trying to assist a young girl at the moment with a 6 month old baby, whose partner recently died.. There is nothing for her at all. However the son would inherit any assets, and I am currently trying to access the UK assets, which may include a property on the girlfriends behalf, believing that his UK family have likely claimed them all, by denying the birth of his son.

For example:
Largely taken care of although I have not set up a Power of Attorney.

Back