Price of rice paddy near Rattanaburi

Stargazer

Surin Legend
I'm considering buying rice paddy for my wife in the Rattaniburi area, and need to get a sense of plausible (non-farang) price it should be, IF not near road (buildable) nor near irrigation canal.

I'm considering buying rice paddy for my wife in the Rattaniburi area, and need to get a sense of plausible (non-farang) price it should be, IF not near road (buildable) nor near irrigation canal.
My mother-in-law sold 7 rai of paddy land a couple of years ago. She lives in the country, 15 kilometers northwest of Sikhorpaum. No road access, no river or canal, just a dirt track across the fields for access with no irrigation. Price sold for 100,000 baht per rai.

A word of warning. Most people would agree, there is no money in farming rice, even if you do it yourself. You would be very lucky to get 1,000 baht a rai/year profit (on a minimum 100,000 baht investment). As an absent landlord for half the year, you would have to pay someone else to manage and work the land. I expect your annual return would be a net loss, not to mention the capital investment required.

I have lived in Surin for the past 17 years and I have refused to buy paddy land for my wife. I was asked to buy her mother's land two years ago, which I declined. In my opinion, it's a romantic notion but not profitable. If you want to hear first-hand experiences of farming paddy land ask @Rice.

I paid ฿250,000.00 for 12 rai in 2000. Access only through other's property. First year came out with ฿10,000.00 profit (excluding my time). Second year rented it out for ฿14,000.00 (paid in rice). Third year got rid.

My wife has bought and sold quite a few Rai in the last couple of years, All not because we wanted it or was making a profit. Just to keep family land from being taken by money lenders. So I can tell you land as you describe is definitely now over the 100,000 Baht per Rai level. There is factors as you know. That add value to that. Most Rai is now going for 110K to 150K. per Rai. Bye the way "Don't buy rice fields" There is no money in it. At best you break even each year. You have to live here full time to collect the generous government subsidies. If not for the subsidies nobody would grow it to sell. As it is Thailand's rice yield is slipping each year.
Anybody like to annotate political events over this graph.
1630991356476.png
It is only going to get worse. There will be a crunch when the world starts to go hungry. Gate price for farmers at 8 to10 Baht per Kilogram is beyond a joke. Now that is top price it factors down from there. This is the world value at the moment, not fixed by Thailand. How much are you paying for a Kilogram of milled rice in the states @Mel Malinowski ?
Curious. That's all. Did you know that trying to value add and export yourself is illegal in Thailand. "The Thai people are not mature enough to do that" Actual words in the Thai law. Set up to keep the ultra rich rich and the farmers poor. Still want to grow rice. I am trapped in a cultural tradition. It cannot be stopped. But what will happen is people will stop selling it and produce less. That is why the government pays subsidies. It greases the money wheel. No grease and that wheel will stop and they know it.
I think it ironic that I had the nick name Rice well before I even came to Thailand so many years ago. Bye the way. I live in the rice fields away from all.

"it's a romantic notion but not profitable"

But can be sold if money is needed for family 'emergencies' and can be used as collateral for loans to borrow money for family 'emergencies'. :)

My wife has bought and sold quite a few Rai in the last couple of years, All not because we wanted it or was making a profit. Just to keep family land from being taken by money lenders. So I can tell you land as you describe is definitely now over the 100,000 Baht per Rai level. There is factors as you know. That add value to that. Most Rai is now going for 110K to 150K. per Rai. Bye the way "Don't buy rice fields" There is no money in it. At best you break even each year. You have to live here full time to collect the generous government subsidies. If not for the subsidies nobody would grow it to sell. As it is Thailand's rice yield is slipping each year.
Anybody like to annotate political events over this graph.
View attachment 43466
It is only going to get worse. There will be a crunch when the world starts to go hungry. Gate price for farmers at 8 to10 Baht per Kilogram is beyond a joke. Now that is top price it factors down from there. This is the world value at the moment, not fixed by Thailand. How much are you paying for a Kilogram of milled rice in the states @Mel Malinowski ?
Curious. That's all. Did you know that trying to value add and export yourself is illegal in Thailand. "The Thai people are not mature enough to do that" Actual words in the Thai law. Set up to keep the ultra rich rich and the farmers poor. Still want to grow rice. I am trapped in a cultural tradition. It cannot be stopped. But what will happen is people will stop selling it and produce less. That is why the government pays subsidies. It greases the money wheel. No grease and that wheel will stop and they know it.
I think it ironic that I had the nick name Rice well before I even came to Thailand so many years ago. Bye the way. I live in the rice fields away from all.
Only good for family subsistence rice growing in my opinion. Our relations have their parcels in the area where most of the village families have their growing paddies. Each family member gets a portion of the family grown rice to use through the year. Good for feeding the old folks who cannot work or grow/farm for themselves. Some vegetable farming and gathering supplement the diets. These are the people that will survive the food crunch and not go hungry/starve. Depends on if they sell some for the next year's crop and use the rest for themselves. And still have a buffalo plow and a couple buffalo to use the old way if need be.

And, no need for gas for cooking, as they all make their own charcoal for use for cooking.

That's what happened to Dean's house!
Yeah. Loans that never get paid back and the land taken as collateral for the unpaid loans. Some Thai families think the farang husband will always be around to bail them out. As we all know farangs are all filthy rich and stupid as a buffalo.

And from what I have seen over the years here, family 'emergencies' are not usually from the immediate family, but 'loans' asked by the more extended family members. They plead and guilt the farang's wife for the loans. Usually NEVER to be paid back. Not my family, immediate, but the ones who see the lass is married to a farang who they consider is rich (Aren't we all)? Ones you've never really met who live some distance away as well. Some farangs do need to learn to 'just say NO'. I've told my wife when she was asked years ago to tell them to go to the bank and use their land as collateral to borrow money. I'm no bank nor a money lender. :) Nor a buffalo.

Yeah. Loans that never get paid back and the land taken as collateral for the unpaid loans. Some Thai families think the farang husband will always be around to bail them out. As we all know farangs are all filthy rich and stupid as a buffalo.

And from what I have seen over the years here, family 'emergencies' are not usually from the immediate family, but 'loans' asked by the more extended family members. They plead and guilt the farang's wife for the loans. Usually NEVER to be paid back. Not my family, immediate, but the ones who see the lass is married to a farang who they consider is rich (Aren't we all)? Ones you've never really met who live some distance away as well. Some farangs do need to learn to 'just say NO'. I've told my wife when she was asked years ago to tell them to go to the bank and use their land as collateral to borrow money. I'm no bank nor a money lender. :) Nor a buffalo.
I too share your philosophy. I am not a bank, nor a moneylender, nor a buffalo! :)

Back