Price of rice?

Stargazer

Surin Legend
We just harvested 5,000 kilos of paddy from our family land. Anyone know what the going market price is for such? I think the extended family will use most of it, but I'd like to get some idea about ROI.

I spoke with my father in law yesterday and he told me that A grade was going for 20 Baht/kg It all scales down from there. Can I ask how many Rai of Paddy supplied 5,000 kg.
I just want to know what yeild you got. Bye the way, how did you work out the weight?

There is a rice mill on the road between PKC and Buriram which I pass regularly, and which displays the buying price. For the past few months it has been around 16bt/kg. Last week, with the new rice it was down to 11.50bt.. Much depends of course on the quality and how dry the rice is. In every village rice is currently laid out every day on the roads to dry in the sun

There is a rice mill on the road between PKC and Buriram which I pass regularly, and which displays the buying price. For the past few months it has been around 16bt/kg. Last week, with the new rice it was down to 11.50bt.. Much depends of course on the quality and how dry the rice is. In every village rice is currently laid out every day on the roads to dry in the sun
I was not going to go into the 11 different grading scales @Prakhonchai Nick. Hmm interesting prices you have seen displayed. Nobody will sell at those prices. They are having a laugh at the desperately poor. Bastards! The price of production has doubled from last year.

I was not going to go into the 11 different grading scales @Prakhonchai Nick. Hmm interesting prices you have seen displayed. Nobody will sell at those prices. They are having a laugh at the desperately poor. Bastards! The price of production has doubled from last year.
Pats two brothers only put in enough rice for the family plus seed this year as, fertiliser prices have over doubled.
I really pity the poor Somchais that went about business as usual.

I spoke with my father in law yesterday and he told me that A grade was going for 20 Baht/kg It all scales down from there. Can I ask how many Rai of Paddy supplied 5,000 kg.
I just want to know what yeild you got. Bye the way, how did you work out the weight?
About 12 rai. They bag the rice and say it is 40 kg per standard fill bag, and they're pretty careful about uniform fill. I didn't weigh any to check. Wow, that's 100,000 THB at most, a pretty meager ROI.

About 12 rai. They bag the rice and say it is 40 kg per standard fill bag, and they're pretty careful about uniform fill. I didn't weigh any to check. Wow, that's 100,000 THB at most, a pretty meager ROI.
The numbers you give @Mel Malinowski are excessive. Yield for 12 Rai . In my opinion my area at best you can expect is 8 fertiliser bags per Rai.
I have been doing this for many years. I wish I hadn't.

Can I be cheeky, and ask, were you told there was that much or did you count that much? Its just not possible. At best 12 Rai in Surin province will yield 3500 Kg.
Mind you if all 12 Rai was planted out by individual plant, a yeild approaching just over 4000 kg is possible. But seed scatter method will yield what I described earlier.

The advertised price outside the rice mill, represents just the standard grade of rice, and depends on quality, wetness etc. New crop is always low to start with, but within 3/4 months will likely rise by 4/5baht kilo. I have oft suggested to the locals that they keep their crop for a few months, but NO, they know best. Have to pay off the loans so sell now, lao cow every day for a month till after New Year, then with money all gone, they borrow to take themselves off to Bangkok for low paid work.

............Mind you if all 12 Rai was planted out by individual plant, a yeild approaching just over 4000 kg is possible. But seed scatter method will yield what I described earlier.
I've always considered individual planting to be preferable to scattering ones seed. :)

Last edited:
Back