Price/Value of rice farming land

A

AussieBill

Would appreciate a ball park figure for the sale value of 2 rai of rice farming land about 20km from the city and about 100 metres back from a main road. The vendor is asking 250,000 baht. Any comments or suggestion welcome.

sounds cheap not that I know much..is it near a dam? Are you a rice farmer by trade?Greetings9

40/50,000bt/rai is the going rate in the Prakhonchai village area. I would imagine a similar value some 20kms from Surin.

250,000 for 2 rai 100m. from a road is way over the odds unless there's something exceptional about it.

Thanks fellas. Obviously we are not all in agreement, but that gives me ammunition with which to barter. This would be an in-family deal which should reduce the price (notwithstanding the gorgeous Lek is married to a farang)! The 2 rai adjoins 3 rai which she would acquire free as part of a split-up of 8 rai, so that may make the purchase more worthwhile. Any further comments welcomed.

I would also think carefully about what you intend to do with it. 5 rai is not much use for rice land; fruit trees might be a better option. Or vegetables. Depends also on the labour available.

I would also think carefully about what you intend to do with it. 5 rai is not much use for rice land; fruit trees might be a better option. Or vegetables. Depends also on the labour available.

Which suggests that 5 rai might be more useful for whatever purpose than 3 rai?

Rent a place in Surin for a couple of grand a month!:smile:

Hindsights a wonderful thing isn't It.

Which suggests that 5 rai might be more useful for whatever purpose than 3 rai?

I'm not sure, Bill. Our house is built on 3 rai, which is too big, and we're progressively turning it into a fruit orchard. Unless you plan intensive farming, e.g. vegetables, it might be better to put a low-maintenance crop like eucalyptus... though I doubt an Aussie will want to see any more eucalyptus trees! Not enough for rubber. Anybody else got any ideas?

I'm not sure, Bill. Our house is built on 3 rai, which is too big, and we're progressively turning it into a fruit orchard. Unless you plan intensive farming, e.g. vegetables, it might be better to put a low-maintenance crop like eucalyptus... though I doubt an Aussie will want to see any more eucalyptus trees! Not enough for rubber. Anybody else got any ideas?

Im on 1+ 1/2 Rai, And thats too big! Veggie plots Is a good idea though.

you could have a buffalo ranch

We already have a house on 1 rai about 1/2km from the rice field so don't have to think of living in "no man's land".
There is plenty of water for rice in the wet season, but none connected for irrigation of other crops or trees.

Last edited by a moderator:
YOU GUYS are making me question the small piece of land I'm interested in. Its only 80,000 to 100,000baht for half rai lets say with a small timber shack on it i'll pull down. Its about 20 km from Big C but it is in a decent location in the village if we were to ever open a shop.

I'm finding it hard to compare it to other pieces of land in as the great link left earlier doesn't really have anything to compare it to...but really at 3000Aussie dollars it still feels like a bargin...

any other links anyone can compare it to or personal experience?

That could be reasonable, DV. We paid 150,000 for a piece of land for a minimart; I'm not sure how big it is, but it's certainly less than a rai. But it's on the main road (such as it is) between Krasang and Huai Rat, and was probably a fair price.

Price of land is an endless debate. More importantly is the "return on investment" and what can be the "future value".

I'd be curious to know if anyone here has made a profit after purchasing a home or land in Surin

Last edited by a moderator:
so you telling me I just got out smarted by a rice farmer

so has your land increased in value since its purchase?

Back