Prices for cattle in Isaan

Stargazer

Surin Legend
We're considering buying a few cattle this year near Rattanaburi. Though I'm a (USA) farm boy, I don't understand the price of cattle here.

The prices for quality cows seems pretty high considering that the minimum wage is 350 THB a day. How can people afford to pay 60-100,000 THB for a cow? That's half a year's salary.

What is a plausible price for a good quality heifer in this area?

Whatever you pay, be careful of diseases. Quite a few locals round my way have lost cows this year through disease. As far as I am aware there is no insurance available as there is in the UK and probably the US

Whatever you pay, be careful of diseases. Quite a few locals round my way have lost cows this year through disease. As far as I am aware there is no insurance available as there is in the UK and probably the US
Insurance is provided by the Department of Livestock for my area at 40.000 baht per head.

Premium? Or cover?

OK, guessing it's cover. What is the premium?
She does not pay. Remember she is in the DLSD program for 5 years and these cows and bulls were given FREE by the government. The DLSD has too much invested in this program to see any cattle lost to the lumpy skin disease. They have developed a vaccine for this and all of have been vaccinated. There are over 1000 in this program and none have died. I do know of a person in Prasat that has some that need help.

We're considering buying a few cattle this year near Rattanaburi. Though I'm a (USA) farm boy, I don't understand the price of cattle here.

The prices for quality cows seems pretty high considering that the minimum wage is 350 THB a day. How can people afford to pay 60-100,000 THB for a cow? That's half a year's salary.

What is a plausible price for a good quality heifer in this area?
You seem to know the answer but you just don't believe it. Start believing it. It has to do with the amount of work people put into keeping them. In the wet season they are for ever searching out grass and carting it back to their stabled animals.It is a full time job for these people.

You seem to know the answer but you just don't believe it. Start believing it. It has to do with the amount of work people put into keeping them. In the wet season they are for ever searching out grass and carting it back to their stabled animals.It is a full time job for these people.
Pick ups and motorbikes with trailers are up and down my soi every day laden with grass. I deserve a beer at 6pm, just for watching them :yum:

My wife's mother and father gave up keeping cows more than 10 years ago. The observations about the never-ending, daily task, of collecting grass to feed them became too much for them to cut and carry. In the dry season, the cows need to be walked to the paddy lands for grazing and then back again to their stable for the night. Like growing rice, there is not a lot of profit to be had either.

My wife's mother and father have a shed load of cows* and appear to have more each year. That's all I know.

*Obviously depends upon the size of the shed.

Back