Progressive Lenses

nomad97

Resident Geek
This morning I ventured forth to Big C (Surin Branch) to have my eyes tested. There is an Optician next door to True Visions, the name of the shop is in Thai. I understand the owner also has a booth upstairs in Robinsons. I wanted a new pair of progressive lenses. I must say the optician, the young lady, was the most delightful young lady I have met in a long time. She spoke no English, and of course, I speak no Thai. However, with the expert use of her iPhone, the language difficulties proved to be no barrier. She would speak into her iPhone and display the English for me to read. All the time she had a delightful manner and a big smile.

For the record, the price for progressive lenses, with frames of your choosing, was 4,500 baht for the basic version. The price then escalated to 5,500 baht for the lense with a protective coating for use with computers, and 7,500 baht for the photochromatic lense. I think there were a couple more options that I did not investigate. I opted for the 5,500 baht lense. We exchanged phone numbers. She said she would ring me in a couple of days' time after the lenses had been cut to fit the frames. Excellent service.

This morning I ventured forth to Big C (Surin Branch) to have my eyes tested. There is an Optician next door to True Visions, the name of the shop is in Thai. I understand the owner also has a booth upstairs in Robinsons. I wanted a new pair of progressive lenses. I must say the optician, the young lady, was the most delightful young lady I have met in a long time. She spoke no English, and of course, I speak no Thai. However, with the expert use of her iPhone, the language difficulties proved to be no barrier. She would speak into her iPhone and display the English for me to read. All the time she had a delightful manner and a big smile.

For the record, the price for progressive lenses, with frames of your choosing, was 4,500 baht for the basic version. The price then escalated to 5,500 baht for the lense with a protective coating for use with computers, and 7,500 baht for the photochromatic lense. I think there were a couple more options that I did not investigate. I opted for the 5,500 baht lense. We exchanged phone numbers. She said she would ring me in a couple of days' time after the lenses had been cut to fit the frames. Excellent service.
Have you had a cold shower yet?
Will the new progressive lenses be rose tinted?
Will she look even better or progressively worse through the new bins?

Looking forward to the next instalment:):)

p.s. for those non-English, or English but never been south of Watford - in London slang the word bins = short for binoculars (or glasses or specs)

I paid 18,000b in Pattaya about 9 years ago (with no happy ending)

Have you had a cold shower yet?
Will the new progressive lenses be rose tinted?
Will she look even better or progressively worse through the new bins?

Looking forward to the next instalment:):)

p.s. for those non-English, or English but never been south of Watford - in London slang the word bins = short for binoculars (or glasses or specs)
Yes, I have had the cold shower and feel much better now!

I have had no issue with mine bought at the same store. :)

I certainly hope so.
In BHPs generosity( insert evil laugh here ), any employee requiring glasses was issued them in a saftey glass format free of charge.
After several saftey incidents, falling down stairs, graduated lenses were banned in all production areas as, no areas of the plant were stair free,
with the exception of the sumps and pump alleys.

In BHPs generosity( insert evil laugh here ), any employee requiring glasses was issued them in a saftey glass format free of charge.
After several saftey incidents, falling down stairs, graduated lenses were banned in all production areas as, no areas of the plant were stair free,

I've had two accidents after forgetting to change my reading glasses for my long distance glasses. One was jumping over a pipe trench and not making the other side and the other was misjudging that bloody awful high curb on the left (north) of the Kasikorn Bank entrance. Would progressive lenses have prevented those accidents? @FERRET's experience indicates that they would not?

I was issued with a pair of SAFETY glasses by my employer,. to use when visiting dangerous environments. I donned them at home one day when artexing the ceiling. They fell off and dropped to the floor. Having finished artexing I jumped off the steps I had been standing on, and my foot dropped on the safety glasses breaking several bones along the side. I was in plaster for a month!

I h
I've had two accidents after forgetting to change my reading glasses for my long distance glasses. One was jumping over a pipe trench and not making the other side and the other was misjudging that bloody awful high curb on the left (north) of the Kasikorn Bank entrance. Would progressive lenses have prevented those accidents? @FERRET's experience indicates that they would not?
I have worn progressives for the past 30 odd years. I find them very natural and transition from long distance to short distance without problems. Not once have I had any difficulties judging distances or heights, nor have I had any spectacle related accidents.

I h

I have worn progressives for the past 30 odd years. I find them very natural and transition from long distance to short distance without problems. Not once have I had any difficulties judging distances or heights, nor have I had any spectacle related accidents.

@FERRET doesn't quote the accident incident rate at BHP but it appears that it was significant enough for them to ban the wearing of progressive lense spectacles.

@FERRET doesn't quote the accident incident rate at BHP but it appears that it was significant enough for them to ban the wearing of progressive lense spectacles.
I can only state my experience with wearing progressive lenses. I used to start wearing them after my morning shower and take them off before going to bed. Very comfortable and easy to wear.

I have been using progressive lens for years.
And they are a problem going down stairs. I will often take them off when going down.

Back