Question for the House Building Experts

C

Coffee

(1) I was viewing some new homes and noticed that the outer wall structural concrete support columns were missing concrete towards the middle of the column. Is this a future problem (as I'm wondering what might be missing inside those columns if the concrete wasn't poured or 'settled' correctly)...or not ?20160524_133637.jpg 20160524_133822.jpg 20160524_133728.jpg

(2) You may notice that the top row of red bricks are not uniform.
Does this mean that the concrete base (foundation) is not level ?

Pray tell, what lucky person is buying this load of crap? No, don't tell, I really don't want to know. I have seen some slap dash work during my time in Thailand but I can quite honestly say this one takes the biscuit. I say this as a non builder without any professional building qualifications. I may be wrong in my assessment and this could be quality workmanship at its best. However, I am quietly confident that my first assessment is much nearer the mark. In fact I will go one further and say the wooden support posts look stronger and better made than their concrete and steel counterparts.

I can honestly say having been in some branch of the construction industry most of my life, I have never laid eyes on anything that remotely resembles that lash up.

I'm thinking this is a professional build, and a big one. The posts (columns as Coffee calls them) are tall and made on site it appears. The wooden support posts are the scaffolding needed to allow the workers to go up with the building. Had the cement posts been premade and shipped to the site they would have been of much better quality, but also cost more.

It's a common post and beam method of construction and the walls will end up being either brick or block, so the imperfections in the posts will get plastered over never to be seen again. The poorly made posts will probably never be a concern, as this type of construction ends up pretty stable. The concrete base is probably pretty level, but the bricks certainly don't look to be.

Chok dee to whomever is having this built.

mario299

This method of laying the last course of bricks at an angle when "beam filling" is a quick
And easy way to fill the gap at the top of a wall to an exising concrete beam.
The gap you have left at the top may not always work out to courses, and this method does the job fine.
And as Mario299 said, it will be rendered over so looks don't matter.

Its a bit rough .
No vibrator in the concrete when you pore .
And dry shuttering .

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
Hi Alan; That's exactly what I was thinking, the concrete hasn't been "vibrated" or even much of the belting the formwork to get the air out, possibly the mix may have been a bit dry. Short of knocking the columns down, they could go over it with a scutch hammer, and knock it in a fair way then re-pour, but not a great fix though.

Back