Registering A Marriage In Thailand

A

AussieBill

While at the Australian Embassy writing my annual Statutory Declaration for the Visa renewal, I noted a document that said: "A marriage in Thailand must be registered with Thai authorities to be a valid marriage under Thai law. If you do not formally register your marriage with Thai authorities you are not legally married in Thailand or Australia."

Is there a reciprocal process necessary for farangs who married a Thai in another country to register their marriage in Thailand

While at the Australian Embassy writing my annual Statutory Declaration for the Visa renewal, I noted a document that said: "A marriage in Thailand must be registered with Thai authorities to be a valid marriage under Thai law. If you do not formally register your marriage with Thai authorities you are not legally married in Thailand or Australia."

Is there a reciprocal process necessary for farangs who married a Thai in another country to register their marriage in Thailand

If you're staying in Thailand on a marriage visa, you need to have your overseas marriage registered here.

I married my Thai wife in the UK, then when we moved to Thailand I was on a marriage visa.
I appreciate that other countries may have different procedures, but what I had to do was :--
1. Go to the British Consulate in BKK and they certified that our marriage was legally recognised.
2. Then take this document to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Chaeng Wattana BKK) who then certified that they had seen the British Consul's document and that they also recognised the marriage.

When applying for the marriage visa extension this was the first thing that immigration looked for.

If you are staying on a retirement extension, then you do not need to get this done, you just need double the money in a bank a/c.

Bill, did you type your declaration or hand write it? I got mine criticised by immigration for being handwritten. Also how did you word it?

PM me with the details if you prefer.

Thanks

Wombat

If you're staying in Thailand on a marriage visa, you need to have your overseas marriage registered here.

I married my Thai wife in the UK, then when we moved to Thailand I was on a marriage visa.
I appreciate that other countries may have different procedures, but what I had to do was :--
1. Go to the British Consulate in BKK and they certified that our marriage was legally recognised.
2. Then take this document to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Chaeng Wattana BKK) who then certified that they had seen the British Consul's document and that they also recognised the marriage.

When applying for the marriage visa extension this was the first thing that immigration looked for.

If you are staying on a retirement extension, then you do not need to get this done, you just need double the money in a bank a/c.

I would imagine the notice is highlighting that 'Village weddings' are not legal. Registration at a Thai amphur or in your home country is legal.

Bill, did you type your declaration or hand write it? I got mine criticised by immigration for being handwritten. Also how did you word it?

PM me with the details if you prefer.

Thanks

Wombat

I hand-printed it in upper case print. in English language, not Wombat font!

Will PM you with details.

BTW Make sure that the translator you use is recognized by the MFA if not you will be out money and time. Quite a few translators are flying false colors on this.
You left out some very important info. After you get your foreign marriage recognized by the MFA you have to take these documents to your local amphur along with yourself and wife, it is her that it is registered and you will then be issued with a KR 22 this iis what you have to show at immigration for a marriage extension. When your married in Thailand you get a KR 3, the pretty serialized marriage certficat, every year you must go to any amphur and request a KR 2 for your new marriages extension this shows you are still married. If your marriage was done over seas and registered you will get a KR 22.

Last edited:
You get a copy EACH of the "pretty serialised marriage cert and they BOTH need to be returned if/when you get divorced !!!

You get a copy EACH of the "pretty serialised marriage cert and they BOTH need to be returned if/when you get divorced !!!

Saw that happen all those years ago when I got married. At the next desk to where I was getting married. Just a wee bit off putting to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back