Restriction of liquor sale time takes effect today throughout Thailand

N

nongfrank

Maybe here is a legal adviser who can perhaps better explain about.:
1. If a menu is being sold between 2pm - 5 pm as a set including wine or beer. Allowed?
2. Guests/Customers order beer, liquor or wine after 2 pm but the bill is issued to 1.55 pm. Allowed?
3. regular guests pay for one week in advance or drink on bill to the end of the week, Allowed?

Thank you very much

1. If a menu is being sold between 2pm - 5 pm as a set including wine or beer. Allowed?
2. Guests/Customers order beer, liquor or wine after 2 pm but the bill is issued to 1.55 pm. Allowed?
3. regular guests pay for one week in advance or drink on bill to the end of the week, Allowed?

Thank you very much

My understanding by law if you have a Hotel License your exempt and can sell alcohol during the restricted hours but other wise not. Ryans Resort has such a license and I shall be there tomorrow having his fantastic Sunday Roast with a beer or two or three between the hours of 2pm to 5pm. Legally I might add.Chokdee5

My understanding by law if you have a Hotel License your exempt and can sell alcohol during the restricted hours but other wise not. Ryans Resort has such a license and I shall be there tomorrow having his fantastic Sunday Roast with a beer or two or three between the hours of 2pm to 5pm. Legally I might add.Chokdee5

Which by your interpretation means no one, including your own business, except hotels, can sell alcohol to their customers between 2 and 5. Before this was applied only to retail sales of alcohol, not restaurants. 7-11, BigC, Makro, and other retail outlets large and small (excepting 10 liters or more, which is now also illegal).

Which by your interpretation means no one, including your own business, except hotels, can sell alcohol to their customers between 2 and 5. Before this was applied only to retail sales of alcohol, not restaurants. 7-11, BigC, Makro, and other retail outlets large and small (excepting 10 liters or more, which is now also illegal).

Thats is correct.ThumbUp6

Thats is correct.ThumbUp6

The new law is also for any amount of alcohol sold. I think it was previously OK to sell in large amounts (retail) during the 'dry hours'. This is now not so and I guess Makro and the like, will be bloody busy in the mornings !!

CRAZY

Thank you very much

Well Frank, you could always go the 'Chinese Tea' route... beer sold in opaque coffee mugs, added to a bin as 'tea' rather than as 'beer or wine'. But if you can't afford to pay the fine if caught, and I believe the fines will be for EACH alcoholic beverage sold maybe, don't do it. 10,000 baht per is a steep fine.

Watch and wait and see how it all works out over the next month or so. See if the cops come around with a letter explaining the law, warning against liquor sales between the hours specified, etc. You'll know after a while what is being enforced, calls for pay offs, etc.

Looks like I won't be going out for some refreshments, here in Surin, as usually like to enjoy and dine between 1400-1800. Am more an afternoon person that night-time. I travel to Bangkok, Jomtien as well as other places quite a bit and they won't really be affected.

Looks like I won't be going out for some refreshments, here in Surin, as usually like to enjoy and dine between 1400-1800. Am more an afternoon person that night-time. I travel to Bangkok, Jomtien as well as other places quite a bit and they won't really be affected.

Will have to talk to the restaurant owners down in Jomtien and see what their take on this is, and how it is affecting them.

I see many breakfast options in the future and early evening "happy hours, to take up the slack

Well, will be saving a lot of money, now.
I empathise with the restaurateurs, pub owners and others who will most certainly lose a lot of money and customers from their hard earned investments.

I empathise with the restaurateurs, pub owners and others who will most certainly lose a lot of money and customers from their hard earned investments.

The only difference between this revised law and the old one (c. 2009?) which is immediately apparent to me is the 10 litre exemption.

Life will probably just go on as usual Bear except possibly for a few months of hiccoughs.

Bloody Mary Specials.

images

Has anyone noticed basically a 'non-event' at entertainment venues in Surin ?

Has it been the same for those of you who recently ventured to BKK, Patts and CM ?

Albeit true, the law is on the books and can be enforced at anytime by Thai authorities when and if warranted.

Has it been the same for those of you who recently ventured to BKK, Patts and CM ?

Albeit true, the law is on the books and can be enforced at anytime by Thai authorities when and if warranted.

I hear that the annual govt licences that should be displayed if you sell alcohol, have the new hours/ restrictions clearly printed on them so if caught, you 'wont have a leg to stand on', so to speak.

The places I visited in BKK on Fri and Sat certainly where not enforcing it.

They were told they needed to close their doors by midnight. So it is not just a load of BS.

With or without customers inside?

Any news on the 14:00 - 17:00 restrictions? I hear there are some establishments open all afternoon.

Y (open all day)

Any news on the 14:00 - 17:00 restrictions? I hear there are some establishments open all afternoon.

Y (open all day)
Ah, the good old "lock in" many a happy drunken night spent locked into a pub in the UK in my youth. And somehow we still managed a days work after leaving at around 5 am. Looking forward to the next one.

Y (open all day)

Customers inside can stay inside and keep on keepin' on, or so I heard. But the bins need to be finished I think was said when the doors close, after that, do what you want behind the closed doors. Probably need to turn down the music some.

The cops here are pretty cool actually, and not hard asses unless you piss them off.

Back