roof tiles

whoppr78

I don't have a lot of experience with the concrete or ceramic roof tiles but what I've read is that they last forever or till they crack.They mostly just a covering that lets the water roll down and out.So as long as they are not broken,loose or cracked they are ok.

We had trouble with cracking tiles when the house was new, but have traced most leaks and sealed them (with new tiles or silicon) now. Fingers crossed for the next rain storm!

We had trouble with cracking tiles when the house was new, but have traced most leaks and sealed them (with new tiles or silicon) now. Fingers crossed for the next rain storm!

supposedly the tiles over lap and no sealant is needed except if they cracked and then water goes in instead of down to gutters.

supposedly the tiles over lap and no sealant is needed except if they cracked and then water goes in instead of down to gutters.

Supposedly you are correct, except when water drips into the house!

Gutters seem to be missing at our house.

I have had only one problem, in only one place and only when the rains comes horizontal from the south west. I have had the workers up there three times, they have caulked the area with silicone and yet they have still failed to correct the problem. Now I have one little hole in the ceiling tile where the rain sometimes comes in and a big brown bowl positioned on the floor to catch the drips. I might add, the water enters at the end/edge of the roof, drips down the end wall and then runs along a steel beam before exiting in the center of the kitchen. Annoying but I am at a loss on how to stop it. Other than that the roof tiles do their job very well so I suppose I should be grateful for that.
icon7.png

I have had only one problem, in only one place and only when the rains comes horizontal from the south west. I have had the workers up there three times, they have caulked the area with silicone and yet they have still failed to correct the problem. Now I have one little hole in the ceiling tile where the rain sometimes comes in and a big brown bowl positioned on the floor to catch the drips. I might add, the water enters at the end/edge of the roof, drips down the end wall and then runs along a steel beam before exiting in the center of the kitchen. Annoying but I am at a loss on how to stop it. Other than that the roof tiles do their job very well so I suppose I should be grateful for that.
icon7.png

It wouldn't be Thailand if everything was perfect! :smile:

icon7.png

Maybe you need to get up in the roof when it is pouring and try to track it down.

I have poked my head and upper body into the ceiling space and I have a pretty good idea where it is coming from, down to the nearest couple of square centimeters that is. You cannot see daylight from the inside of the roof and the leak can only be plugged from the outside. Its virtually on the apex and at the end of the roof. The problem is 3 sets of workers have so far failed to plug the leak. I would do it myself but I am too chicken to climb up on top of the roof and repair it myself. I am a tad over a 100 kilos and I do not trust the roof to support my weight! Plus the fact I am no longer as agile as I once used to be. LOL.

I have had only one problem, in only one place and only when the rains comes horizontal from the south west.

I think that unless we build roofs with a pitch like the Scandinavians, we shall always suffer from horizontal rain. My tiles take in a little water when there's a strong northerly wind but up to now it's just an irritating drip with no apparent damage to the plasterboard.

I have poked my head and upper body into the ceiling space and I have a pretty good idea where it is coming from, down to the nearest couple of square centimeters that is. You cannot see daylight from the inside of the roof and the leak can only be plugged from the outside. Its virtually on the apex and at the end of the roof. The problem is 3 sets of workers have so far failed to plug the leak. I would do it myself but I am too chicken to climb up on top of the roof and repair it myself. I am a tad over a 100 kilos and I do not trust the roof to support my weight! Plus the fact I am no longer as agile as I once used to be. LOL.

It is a wise man that knows his limitations. It has kept me alive for quite a while.

I am pretty sure its the construction technique. The roof angle appears to be around 30 degrees and is certainly a lot less than slope of many European countries. Secondly, where the tiles meet at the ridge they are only covered with ridge tiles and sealed with cement or mortar. After a while in the baking summer sun, followed by the cooling rain, the mortar cracks and rain begins to seep in. I have seen in Home Pro (I think), the place behind the railway station, a rubber seal system that fits underneath the ridge tiles and forms a waterproof barrier with the roof tiles underneath. I am pretty sure this rubber seal is what I need to effect a waterproof barrier. However, I suspect the cost to fit the seal retrospectively would be very high because I think you would need to remove all the tiles and fit a new roof to fit the seal. I have had seen this problem on many of the houses I have either lived in or near during my time in Thailand. I guess I will have to send up another workman with more gunk to smear around!

When I was a youngster of 17 I actually worked part time as a roof tiler. A bloody long time ago. Did you know all roof pitch is in rise over 12 feet or 12 inches.
Such as 5 in 12 or expressed 5/12 this equals 22.62 Degrees. This is the standard for tropical roofing. Higher pitches are for snow or Asian style decorative.
If you say yours is 30 deg NM this is 7/12, very unusual for Thailand.
I was given the job of mixing the mortar and doing the ridge capping. What was used was a 4 sand to 1 cement mix with a plasticiser to make the mix more homogeneous and less likely to crack and be impervious to water. I understand these days it just comes in a bag.

When I was a youngster of 17 I actually worked part time as a roof tiler. A bloody long time ago. Did you know all roof pitch is in rise over 12 feet or 12 inches.
Such as 5 in 12 or expressed 5/12 this equals 22.62 Degrees. This is the standard for tropical roofing. Higher pitches are for snow or Asian style decorative.
If you say yours is 30 deg NM this is 7/12, very unusual for Thailand.
I was given the job of mixing the mortar and doing the ridge capping. What was used was a 4 sand to 1 cement mix with a plasticiser to make the mix more homogeneous and less likely to crack and be impervious to water. I understand these days it just comes in a bag.

I am only guessing 30 deg, you are probably spot on at 22.62 deg. And no, I didn't know diddly squat about roof rises! Learn something everyday. However, out here in these parts I doubt that they have a word for plasticiser and they wouldn't know it if they saw it. As to mixing 4 parts sand to 1 part cement for the ridge capping I would guess the mix is what the workman of the day feels like and not what it should be. And finally, I have seen them dragging buckets of water from the nearest stagnant muddy ditch to add to the mix. No wonder the roof leaks. In fact, it is truly a wonder that it leaks as little as it does! LOL.

Back