Shower Water Heaters

Coffee

You chose a custom title
It's getting to be that time if the year when Grandma likes it hot. :cool:

Any advice or recommendations on (1) which make/models are best (2) where to shop for these best selections and (3) which electrician does proper installation woukd be appreciated.

20221103_145937.jpg20221103_145754.jpg

The Eltron is nice and one year old in the new house addition.
The Electrolux requires replacing.

A couple of questions.

Do you have a storage tank (1,000 or 2,000 litres) outside and is it subjected to sunshine for part of the day?

Is the water pumped from the tank to the shower? If so what pressure does the pump deliver?

You say the Eltron is nice - what wattage is the one that you have and is it sufficient for the shower water to be hot enough?

I guess the source of the water may be relevant also (well or mains?) although I haven't a clue as to the temperature of either.

Last edited:
{See insert for replies.}

A couple of questions.

Do you have a storage tank (1,000 or 2,000 litres) outside and is it subjected to sunshine for part of the day?
{Yes...possibly two hours in winter.}

Is the water pumped from the tank to the shower? If so what pressure does the pump deliver?
{We have both options. City water pressure and continuous pump from water tank when city isn't sufficient.
Pump detail on photo.}

You say the Eltron is nice - what wattage is the one that you have and is it sufficient for the shower water to be hot enough?
{Eltron heater info in photo.}

I guess the source of the water may be relevant also (well or mains?) although I haven't a clue as to the temperature of either.

16675422491351740801805.jpg1667542358705-1686431118.jpg1667542643999925950412.jpg

{Relevent breaker photo.}

I chose a couple of Panasonic DH-3LL1 home shower units when we lived in a single storey house. Their consumption is 3500 W apiece and they need a minimum of 1.42 PSI to operate (and a max. of 55 PSI) Both shower rooms had been wired, and installation was simple for me. I brought them with me to our two storey house, where one is on the GF while the other is on the FF. The water temperature is just adequate from the FF unit when the weather is at its coolest, while the GF unit is fine all year round. They are now nearly 10 years old and working fine, serving up to 4 of us for most of that time, at least twice a day.

1667566769926.png

We use town water stored in a 1000L tank at GF level, and it sits in the sunshine for much of the day. When we moved here, I wanted a third shower that provided better pressure at the shower head upstairs, and hotter water if the weather was ever chilly. So, I bought and fitted a MEX 5C(SA) 5,100W unit 9 years ago. It still works perfectly. Min input water pressure is 2.9 PSI.

1667566674999.png

There are separate breakers at GF and FF levels, and all three are - of course! - earthed/grounded. I recall being a little confused by the colours of the wires being different in each room... but it wasn't a major issue.

There are separate breakers at GF and FF levels, and all three are - of course! - earthed/grounded. I recall being a little confused by the colours of the wires being different in each room... but it wasn't a major issue.

When we built the house (2000) being the silly old stick in the mud that I am and given that all the electric cables were bought and installed separately (no three core twin and earth) I went for red, black and green insulation colours. The sparks didn't know any different and just got on with it.

I chose a couple of Panasonic DH-3LL1 home shower units when we lived in a single storey house. Their consumption is 3500 W apiece and they need a minimum of 1.42 PSI to operate (and a max. of 55 PSI) Both shower rooms had been wired, and installation was simple for me. I brought them with me to our two storey house, where one is on the GF while the other is on the FF. The water temperature is just adequate from the FF unit when the weather is at its coolest, while the GF unit is fine all year round. They are now nearly 10 years old and working fine, serving up to 4 of us for most of that time, at least twice a day.

We have one Panasonic (the main shower unit) and one Sharpe. Both are on the ground floor (we only have one floor). The Sharpe is 3,500 watts and the Panasonic 4,800 watts. The Panasonic up until two years ago provided sufficiently hot water in summer at around 15% setting and in winter at around 50% setting. Since then we've changed the ageing pump (1 barg) for a new pump (1.7 barg) and I reckon the settings have needed to be increased by about 20% to obtain the same temperature water with the increased flow. Still adequate for the yearly ambient temperatures.

Mainly mains water via a 1,000 litre outdoor tank (fibreglass) with well water as a back-up.

View attachment 55851

We use town water stored in a 1000L tank at GF level, and it sits in the sunshine for much of the day. When we moved here, I wanted a third shower that provided better pressure at the shower head upstairs, and hotter water if the weather was ever chilly. So, I bought and fitted a MEX 5C(SA) 5,100W unit 9 years ago. It still works perfectly. Min input water pressure is 2.9 PSI.

View attachment 55850

The only thing we ours for is Mrs Gl shower show for me. ;;big smile;;

Back