Solar Pump Project for Primary School

Bandersnatch

Surin Solar Legend
hm9pfHF.jpg

On a recent visit to my local Primary school in Salakdai, I noticed the students watering a dry patch of dirt. I was told that they were trying to grow some vegetables.

2chKeU3.jpg

adVkZyq.jpg

I saw that there was a pond nearby, so asked why they didn't pump the water onto the land.
(stupid question) - no money for pump and no money for electricity even if they had a pump.

So I set about a little project that would help the school and hopefully be educational.
I purchased a 320 watt solar panel; Pump; DC motor and control box.

First requirement was a frame to hold the solar panel at 15 degrees. Off to thai watsadu for some bits.

GKL8QQ3.jpg

Then sort out the electrics for the motor and pump.

3RYGLBQ.jpg

Note my use of zip ties to hold it all together :)

JS0Ej3U.jpg

The school said they could stretch to some PVC pipe, so I left them to sort that part out.

sUfjQY7.jpg

The cost of the main components if anyone is interested:
5p6SYfS.jpg

Last edited:
I hope they will look after it. Looks like a nice bit of gear that will walk.
And that, unfortunately, is what will undoubtedly happen.

Nice job Bandersnatch - and I sincerely hope the doom and gloom merchants are proven wrong, me included.

Well done. Hope they will appreciate the pump.

Where did you buy the solar panel? Anywhere in Surin that have solar panels etc.?

Well done. Hope they will appreciate the pump.

Where did you buy the solar panel? Anywhere in Surin that have solar panels etc.?
I think they are available on the road (226) to Big C coming from Robinson's. Go past the traffic lights (right turn for town center) and just before the left turn into Big C, and the traffic lights at the T junction, there is a shop with solar panels on display.

upload_2019-1-7_23-45-51.png

I hope they will look after it. Looks like a nice bit of gear that will walk.
And that, unfortunately, is what will undoubtedly happen.

Nice job Bandersnatch - and I sincerely hope the doom and gloom merchants are proven wrong, me included.

To the negative comments STUFF IT. :p:p GREAT JOB Bandersnatch and well done.:D:D I have been seeing these for the past 6 years in my area and the complete kit for sell at local hardware stores. Also if you check with your local government they have projects where these solar power pumps are donated for such cause and for others the cost will be minimum. Again a very fine job.:D:D

Looks like a nice bit of gear that will walk

I am new to Surin, so cannot I comment on the likelihood of it being stolen. The head teacher wants to build a cage for the pump to make it more secure and I suggested staking the frame to the ground so it does not blow over.

Where did you buy the solar panel?

I bought the panel in Buriram, which again is down to my lack of local knowledge. The head teacher said that he knew of a shop in Surin that sells full size panels. I will investigate it as well as the suggestion by @nomad97 and post back.

I am very interested in solar and all things green and have searched the forum for a discussion on it. Maybe I will start one.

To the negative comments STUFF IT. :p:p GREAT JOB Bandersnatch and well done.:D:D I have been seeing these for the past 6 years in my area and the complete kit for sell at local hardware stores. Also if you check with your local government they have projects where these solar power pumps are donated for such cause and for others the cost will be minimum. Again a very fine job.:D:D
Well said GL. I agree 100 % with your comments.
And all power to you Bandersnatch great job.

I am new to Surin, so cannot I comment on the likelihood of it being stolen. The head teacher wants to build a cage for the pump to make it more secure and I suggested staking the frame to the ground so it does not blow over.

I bought the panel in Buriram, which again is down to my lack of local knowledge. The head teacher said that he knew of a shop in Surin that sells full size panels. I will investigate it as well as the suggestion by @nomad97 and post back.

I am very interested in solar and all things green and have searched the forum for a discussion on it. Maybe I will start one.
You say you bought the panels in Buriram, Did you buy from Ruagsangthai? If not can I suggest you visit them and talk to Bob or one of the other English speaking staff there, as they do a good range of Solar power kit at better prices than you will find at the major builders merchants.

Well said GL. I agree 100 % with your comments.
And all power to you Bandersnatch great job.

I agree great vision and job but also agree it’s going to walk. Your grannies enamel, what’s left, aren’t safe around these parts

You say you bought the panels in Buriram, Did you buy from Ruagsangthai? If not can I suggest you visit them and talk to Bob or one of the other English speaking staff there, as they do a good range of Solar power kit at better prices than you will find at the major builders merchants.

I understand that the complete kit can be bought from him. I would still suggest check with your local government organization and PEA as they also have programs.

My water pump was knocked off last month. I had a cage around it but damned FIL never locked it back up after use. So it was just ripped out.
I am going to paint the new one bright pink. It may deter somebody from flogging it as it would be hard to sell. I suggest branding the school gear as well @Bandersnatch .
Baan Trabairk School. If it is hard for them to sell, they just might not steal it in the first place.

That is why I mentioned theft. Not because I was being negative. :mad:

My water pump was knocked off last month. I had a cage around it but damned FIL never locked it back up after use. So it was just ripped out.
I am going to paint the new one bright pink. It may deter somebody from flogging it as it would be hard to sell. I suggest branding the school gear as well @Bandersnatch .
Baan Trabairk School. If it is hard for them to sell, they just might not steal it in the first place.

That is why I mentioned theft. Not because I was being negative. :mad:

SWMBO brings hers back home and is never leftist after dark.

Did you buy from Ruagsangthai

I have been to Ruagsangthai a few times and always find Bob very helpful and knowledgeable. But I didn't buy from Ruagsangthai this time. One reason is Ruagsangthai is over an hour away for me. I bought from a little pump shop about 30 minutes away.

Last edited:
Back