some nice thai restaurants in surin

C

Coffee

Good thai food, decent service, alcohol served...
Ah never mind. Why try.

Always best to venture out on your own and seek another venue.
They can be found all over Surin. Most menus will not have English language (possibly a picture) , the same as most of the staff.

Be brave - get your game on as you know the names of certain thai dishes although always best to travel with a translator.
Look for the lighted signs at night and walk in. Worse comes to worse it's a karaoke venue which will have food and serve alcohol too. ;)

Sounds pretty desperate to me. I think I will stay in and have one of Nookie's delicious Cornish Pasties with broccoli, extra carrots and thick onion gravy. Washed down with an ample supply of house red. And if I really want to pig out, rhubard pie and Devon custard for afters.

Sounds pretty desperate to me. I think I will stay in and have one of Nookie's delicious Cornish Pasties with broccoli, extra carrots and thick onion gravy. Washed down with an ample supply of house red. And if I really want to pig out, rhubard pie and Devon custard for afters.

I have already resorted to my regular kebab wraps. How boring........

kebabs-5.jpg

Something I miss here compared with Chiangmai is going out for a meal with a very good Thai friend, who is a bit of a foodie, and has quite a following on Facebook for his restaurant reviews.

We used to travel together when visiting schools, and in all sorts of out-of-the-way places, Pong would find unpretentious restaurants with excellent food (and frequently with beer sot). Not only did he have an instinct for the good places, but he was also past master at ordering.

It's always better when eating Thai food to go with at least one, better two, companions so that you can get a decent variety of dishes.

Watch that waist line Nomad, don't sit too long in the man cave if you are eating that on a regular basis!!

Usually only twice a week Adam - always concious of the effect these luxuries of life have on the waist line. Lord oh Lordy!

Good thai food, decent service, alcohol served...
Ah never mind. Why try.

Always best to venture out on your own and seek another venue.
They can be found all over Surin. Most menus will not have English language (possibly a picture) , the same as most of the staff.

Be brave - get your game on as you know the names of certain thai dishes although always best to travel with a translator.
Look for the lighted signs at night and walk in. Worse comes to worse it's a karaoke venue which will have food and serve alcohol too. ;)
================================================================

Sodium Saturation: Thais eat too much salty food, at risk of kidney disease: expert
By Coconuts Bangkok April 5, 2016 / 11:54 ICT
Like Coconuts BKK on Facebook Follow Coconuts BKK on Twitter
rsz_screenshot_2016-04-05_at_124948_am.png

Salty foods like instant noodles can lead to kidney disease and other health issues

The habit of adding more soy sauce, fish sauce and the ever-present Maggi to their food is putting Thais at risk for kidney diseases, according to an expert.

Though the World Health standard suggests eating no more than 5 grams of salt per day, Thais consume a whopping 10.8 grams per day on average, according to Mahidol University’s Dr Surasak Kantachuvetsiri.

Surasak states that those with chronic kidney disease have a much higher rate of early death than those with kidneys that are healthy.

Other conditions that are tied to a high-sodium diet include: high blood pressure and heart disease, he added.

In addition to the items listed above, condiments such as shrimp and miso paste, prepared curry packets and flavored instant noodles are everyday Thai food staples that rate amongst the highest for salt content.

Aside from the love of salty dishes, last year health officials also revealed that an average Thai consumes way too much sugar — 26 teaspoons per day, four times more than the recommended amount of 6 teaspoons per day.

The survey found that most Thais get their daily dose of sugar from sweet beverages such as soft drinks, green tea, and coffee.

I was in discussion with another SF member last week about the high concentration of MSG which is added to Thai food. Not that my kidney's will ever recover but I do draw the line at having MSG in the house. Unfortunately soy sauce is allowed in the house as is both iodised and sea salt. There are certain foods/additives which I would prefer not to forego.

I was in discussion with another SF member last week about the high concentration of MSG which is added to Thai food. Not that my kidney's will ever recover but I do draw the line at having MSG in the house. Unfortunately soy sauce is allowed in the house as is both iodised and sea salt. There are certain foods/additives which I would prefer not to forego.

The pla sauce is very high in sodium. Pla Ra is it? The fish sauce they all use.

And MSG gives me a damn headache. The Thais actually use it as a 'flavoring'. Not so much as a preservative.

And MSG gives me a damn headache. The Thais actually use it as a 'flavoring'. Not so much as a preservative.

I never get headaches and I mean never. Unless, that is, I accidentially overdose on MSG. Within an hour my throat feels sore, I feel nauseous and my head begins to pound. Its the one reason I minimise eating out in any of Surin's many Thai eateries and restaurants - I've been caught out too many times in the past. When I do take the family out I am very careful what I order and often appear to be on a diet. I tend to eat the minimum and choose food that I feel is less likely to be contaminated with an excessive amount of MSG. For similar reasons I will not eat in the village. I know my MIL cannot live without 1 kg bags of MSG and large bottles of fish sauce. Fortunately my wife is more careful with her additives and she is more than happy to enforce a total ban on 'neat' MSG in the house. Yes, we know its to be found in all sorts of flavour enhancers that are used in the cooking process but, as Yorky said, "there are certain foods/additives which I/we would prefer not to forego."

Nomad, Try Starbeam's Thai food. My wife understands English, if you tell her what you want, or do not want in your food. Tell her no MSG or Nam Pla is to be used making your dish.

And do you get away with that, Nomad?

:astonished:
So far I've been lucky. As the family's preference is usually a Hot Pot or MK they receive strict instructions to order nothing for me. I usually have the Jasmin rice with a small dish of something else to go with it. I swear I don't know how they manage to put so much away but they seem happy enough.

Nomad, Try Starbeam's Thai food. My wife understands English, if you tell her what you want, or do not want in your food. Tell her no MSG or Nam Pla is to be used making your dish.

Thanks Cent, but it will never happen. When I go to Starbeam's restaurant I am usually tempted by a steak bomb or two!

Back