State of Emergency could be extended another month

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
State of emergency could be extended for another month
National
May 21. 2020
800_35c836bd0241697.jpg

By THE NATION

The National Security Council (NSC) will again ask the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration to extend the state of emergency for another month until June 30.
The state of emergency was last month extended to May 31, after a similar request from the NSC.

NSC secretary-general Gen Somsak Rungsita said on Thursday (May 21) that it will also ask the centre and the Cabinet to consider the third phase of lockdown relaxation and the curfew reduction.

He said citizens had cooperated well with the first and second phases of relaxation, as shown by the falling infection rate and widespread practise of preventive measures. However, the office is concerned about new Covid-19 cases arriving from foreign countries, and says measures must be found to deal with international travel when it restarts.

Somsak added that the emergency decree helped the prime minister run the country during the pandemic and was not a political tool, as some claimed.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388246?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

@Cent, I did warn you yesterday, dream on if you think life will become easier any day soon. Until a vaccine is developed, and that may just be a pipe dream, a lot of these measures are here to stay, IMHO.

Does the flu vaccine prevent those who receive it from catching flu, and prevent those who don't receive it from both catching it and transmitting it? Serious questions.

Does the flu vaccine prevent those who receive it from catching flu, and prevent those who don't receive it from both catching it and transmitting it? Serious questions.

CDC Releases Interim Flu Vaccine Effectiveness Report

February 26, 2020 10:01 am Chris Crawford – According to a Feb. 21 CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report,(www.cdc.gov)the current influenza vaccine has been 45% effective overall against 2019-2020 seasonal influenza A and B viruses.

Specifically, the flu vaccine has been 50% effective against influenza B/Victoria viruses and 37% effective against influenza A(H1N1)pdm09.

https://www.aafp.org/news/health-of-the-public/20200226interimfluve.html

P.S. The report does not answer the second part of your question.

@Cent, I did warn you yesterday, dream on if you think life will become easier any day soon. Until a vaccine is developed, and that may just be a pipe dream, a lot of these measures are here to stay, IMHO.

I guess you are right, Nomad. They just announced they are extending the Emergency Decree for the month of June. This will kill off a lot of the small businesses. I've spoken to a couple places recently and the owners said they are nearly broke, cannot pay rent or resupply their places, and will likely fail soon. We need to see exactly 'what' the PM is intending to continue. My place will be okay, as we have already resupplied and opened for Take Away only already. Plus our rent is very small compared to others I know of. Our electric will be small as well as our air cons are not being used since we are only doing take out orders. This will though kill many of the smaller pubs, bars and restaurants. One owner I spoke with said he needs to pay his rent soon, 50K baht for the next 6 months rent, which he does not have due to being closed the past 2 months. (What especially hurts the pubs and bars is the now 11 p.m. curfew.)

The other thing I saw the past couple of days is some restaurants in Surin and in Buriram have been announcing they are now open for business as usual for dining in. There will be big fines for these places as well as them being forced to close by the government as punishment for breaking the rules for indefinite amounts of time. This extension for the entire month of June will be a disaster for many.

P.S. I was told recently there's a new Cafe opening on the main street (Sirirat Street) where all the pubs and restaurants are. A rather large place around the corner from Speed 3. Was told they've sunk 900,000 baht into acquiring the place and getting it ready to open soon. Not the best time to try to open a new place in my opinion. We'll see.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/poli...y-decree-extended-no-new-virus-case-reported/

Last edited:

Life is easy now.... it doesn't need to move much further. For the likes of those who never leave Thailand this is not a hardship.

I can't leave the country and I should now be in Spain enjoying a very pleasant 26/18 max/min temperature. I am not, I can live with that even though it is costing me a fortune in (long overdue) home improvements).

Covid19 is great , we can get labour including a ceiling and furniture expert (which we need) for 400 Baht a day as opposed to close on 1,000 Baht that he gets in Bangkok.

Life is easy now.... it doesn't need to move much further. For the likes of those who never leave Thailand this is not a hardship.

I can't leave the country and I should now be in Spain enjoying a very pleasant 26/18 max/min temperature. I am not, I can live with that even though it is costing me a fortune in (long overdue) home improvements).

Covid19 is great , we can get labour including a ceiling and furniture expert (which we need) for 400 Baht a day as opposed to close on 1,000 Baht that he gets in Bangkok.
It will be great to visit mountain view on my next trip !!! Hope you haven't finished that bottle of single malt on your own !!!

CDC Releases Interim Flu Vaccine Effectiveness Report

February 26, 2020 10:01 am Chris Crawford – According to a Feb. 21 CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report,(www.cdc.gov)the current influenza vaccine has been 45% effective overall against 2019-2020 seasonal influenza A and B viruses.

Specifically, the flu vaccine has been 50% effective against influenza B/Victoria viruses and 37% effective against influenza A(H1N1)pdm09.

https://www.aafp.org/news/health-of-the-public/20200226interimfluve.html

P.S. The report does not answer the second part of your question.

Thank you Nomad. As you might well have deduced, I'm interested in the media reports which state that until a vaccine is made available for Covid-19, there can be no relaxation in any of the restrictions regarding social distancing, resumption of football, F1 and so on.

It occurs to me that the availability of flu vaccines has seemingly failed to limit the numbers of infections and deaths in the many years that they have been available, and I wonder therefore if and when a vaccine against Covid-19 is made available, it will do no more than act in a similar way to appeal to those seeking a "miracle cure" and relegate the condition to one that is no more newsworthy than flu.

The following, taken from www.reliasmedia.com/articles/145907-flu-season-charts-an-unusual-course-beginning-with-a-predominant-b-victoria-strain quotes from CDC reports on flu:

"Overall, the CDC reported there have been at least 29 million flu illnesses, 280,000 hospitalizations, and 16,000 deaths related to the flu this season. As of mid-February, epidemiologists observed evidence of influenza activity had only slightly decreased from previous weeks.

In a bit of good news, the first estimates on flu vaccine effectiveness, unveiled in late February, show the current formula is reducing doctor visits for flu by about 45% overall and 55% in children. Further, data show the vaccine is effective against both predominant circulating virus strains."

The relevance of the remainder is questionable regarding Covid-19, but some may find it interesting anyway:

"Clinicians can expect to see many typical manifestations of uncomplicated flu virus when patients present, explained Angela Campbell, MD, MPH, a medical officer in the CDC’s influenza division who also spoke during the Jan. 28 COCA call. “This can range from asymptomatic infection to a more typical upper respiratory tract illness, typically consisting of an abrupt onset of fever and cough with other symptoms that may include chills, muscle aches, fatigue, headache, sore throat, and runny nose,” she explained. “A runny nose and nasal congestion symptoms also occur with more common cold viruses as well, but they may occur in young children with the flu. GI symptoms such as abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea tend to be more common in children.”

However, Campbell stressed young infants may not exhibit any respiratory symptoms at all, and may present with fever alone, often accompanied by irritability. She also noted elderly patients and those who are immune-suppressed may present with atypical symptoms and may not even report with any fever.

Clinicians also should be aware of the complications that can go along with flu. For instance, Campbell noted otitis media can develop in up to 40% of children younger than age 3 years who have the flu. It also can exacerbate chronic underlying conditions such as asthma. “Other common causes of hospitalization with flu include dehydration and pneumonia, and pneumonia can be primary viral pneumonia or secondary bacterial pneumonia,” Campbell explained.

Campbell added flu can cause other respiratory syndromes and extrapulmonary complications such as renal failure, myocarditis, pericarditis, myositis, and extreme rhabdomyolysis. “Flu is also known to cause encephalopathy and encephalitis, particularly in children, as well as sepsis and multiorgan failure,” she shared. “In fact, in a relatively recent review of death reports of children who died with flu, sepsis was actually found to be listed as a complication in up to 30% of those reports.”

Bacterial co-infections can cause severe disease when present with flu, Campbell said. She noted the most common bacteria involved in these cases include Streptococcus pneumoniae, Staphylococcus aureus, and group A streptococcus.

When should clinicians order tests for the flu? Campbell noted such testing is in order when the results are likely to influence clinical management. For example, if the results may decrease unnecessary lab testing for other etiologies or the unnecessary use of antibiotics, testing is advised. Further, if the results might facilitate implementation of infection prevention and control measures, increase the appropriate use of influenza antiviral medicines, and potentially shorten length of stay, flu testing is indicated.

“Another reason for testing is if it will influence a public health response. It can be very useful for outbreak identification and intervention,” Campbell said. “One of the most common situations where this is the case is in long-term care facilities or nursing home outbreaks.”

The Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) produced an algorithm that can be used to help clinicians determine whether to order flu testing. This graph, along with additional guidance, is included online at: http://bit.ly/2HZZz5m.

“If a patient with suspected flu is being admitted to the hospital, testing is actually recommended both by IDSA and by CDC, along with empiric antiviral treatment while results are pending,” Campbell said. “If [the patient] is not being admitted, but if results will influence clinical management, the same recommendation applies.” In cases where flu testing results will not influence whether empiric treatment can be initiated based on a clinical diagnosis, then there probably is no need for it, Campbell added. However, she also noted empiric treatment is recommended in cases in which the patient is at high risk or presents with a progressive disease.

When considering antiviral treatment for flu, the focus of CDC’s treatment guidance is on the prevention of severe outcomes, Campbell noted. Consequently, this guidance is particularly aimed at patients with severe disease and those at the highest risk for severe disease. “Clinical trials and observation data show that early antiviral treatment can shorten the duration of fever and flu systems,” she said.

In particular, Campbell observed early treatment reduces the risk of otitis media in children and lower respiratory tract complications that require antibiotics and hospital admission in adults. Further, she noted both observational studies and meta-analyses have shown early antiviral treatment reduces the risk of hospitalization in high-risk children and adults.

Regarding oseltamivir, one antiviral medication, studies have revealed early treatment reduces the likelihood of death in hospitalized adult patients, and the drug has been shown to shorten the duration of hospitalization in both adults and children, Campbell said.

Considering the demonstrated benefits, the CDC recommends antiviral treatment as early as possible for any patient with suspected or confirmed influenza and severe, complicated, or progressive illness, or who is at high risk for influenza complications. This includes children younger than age 2 years, adults age 65 years and older, pregnant and postpartum women, American Indians and Alaska natives, children on long-term aspirin therapy, people with underlying medical conditions, and residents of nursing homes and chronic care facilities. “Clinical benefit is absolutely greatest when antiviral treatment is initiated as close to illness onset as possible. Treatment really shouldn’t be delayed while testing results are pending,” Campbell stressed.

However, she noted antiviral treatment initiated after 48 hours can still be beneficial in some patients. “There have been observational studies in hospitalized patients that suggest treatment might be beneficial even when initiated four or five days after symptom onset. Similarly, there have been observational data in pregnant women that have shown treatment to provide benefit when started three to four days after symptom onset,” Campbell reported. “But by and large, the earlier [treatment commences], the better. Even within the first 12 hours is better than within 24 or 48 hours.” Beyond the high-risk groups, antiviral treatment also can be considered for any previously healthy patients with suspected or confirmed flu. This determination can be made on the basis of clinical judgment if treatment can begin within 48 hours of illness onset, Campbell said.

Part 2 follows

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-22_20-49-23.png
    upload_2020-5-22_20-49-23.png
    149.6 KB · Views: 12
Part 2

Currently, there are currently four antiviral medications that are FDA-approved, including oseltamivir, zanamivir, peramivir, and baloxavir. However, which drug can be used depends, in part, on age. “Oseltamivir can be given to anyone of any age, zanamivir is for treatment of children age 7 and up, peramivir age 2 and up, and baloxavir age 12 years and up,” Campbell explained.

Considering zanamivir can cause bronchospasm, it should not be used in patients with underlying airway disease. Further, baloxavir is not recommended for pregnant or breast-feeding mothers because there are not enough data to support efficacy or safety in these groups. For hospitalized patients, treatment with oseltamivir is recommended as there are enough data to support the use of the other antiviral drugs in patients with severe influenza. For patients who cannot tolerate oseltamivir, intravenous peramivir should be considered, Campbell said.

Regarding corticosteroid drugs, Campbell noted they are not recommended as an adjunctive therapy for suspected or confirmed flu, for flu-associated pneumonia, for respiratory failure, or acute respiratory stress syndrome unless they are indicated for some other reason."

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/327397#symptoms adds a little foundation to the CDC information about flu, and confirm that there are many similarities between the strains and Covid-19:

"There are four types of influenza virus.
Influenza A
Influenza A viruses cause seasonal flu epidemics practically every year in the United States. They can infect humans and animals.
Influenza A is the only type that can cause a pandemic, which is a global spread of disease. Bird flu and swine flu pandemics both resulted from influenza A viruses.
An influenza A virus has two surface proteins: hemagglutinin and neuraminidase. These help doctors with classification.

Influenza B
Influenza B viruses can also cause seasonal epidemics that typically only affect humans. There are two lineages of influenza B: Victoria and Yamagata.
Influenza B viruses mutate more slowly than influenza A viruses.

Influenza C
Influenza C viruses cause mild illnesses — they do not appear to cause epidemics.

Influenza D
Influenza D viruses mainly affect cattle and do not seem to infect humans.

fatigue
  • nasal congestion
  • a cough
  • body aches
  • chills
  • vomiting or diarrhea, which are more common in children
Some people experience severe symptoms, which can include:

• chest pain
  • shortness of breath
  • severe pain
  • severe weakness
  • a high fever
  • seizures
  • severe dizziness
  • loss of consciousness
A person who experiences any severe symptom should receive medical attention.

researchers, influenza A viruses are responsible for about 75% of confirmed flu cases, while influenza B viruses are behind approximately 25% of confirmed cases.

Contagiousness

Both influenza A and B are highly contagious.

When a person with the flu coughs or sneezes, droplets can enter another person’s nose or mouth, transmitting the illness.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), flu viruses can infect others from up to 6 feet away.
Alternately, a person can catch the flu if they touch a surface contaminated with the flu virus, then touch their own mouth or nose.

The CDC report that people with the flu are the most contagious in the 3–4 days after becoming ill. Symptoms tend to develop 2 days after the illness starts, so a person may pass on the flu before they feel sick.

Severity
For a person who is generally healthy, the flu is not typically dangerous. However, it can severely affect certain groups of people, who should seek medical attention as soon as they suspect that they have flu symptoms.

Those most at risk of developing flu complications include:

• women who are pregnant
  • people with certain chronic medical conditions
  • children younger than 5
  • adults aged 65 or over
Many people believe that influenza A is more severe than influenza B. However, this is not always the case.

A 2014 study concluded that adults hospitalized with influenza A or B tended to have similarly long hospital stays. They also had similar rates of intensive care unit admission and death during hospitalization.

A 2016 study found that the influenza B virus was more likely to cause death in hospitalized children aged 16 or younger.

The researchers also concluded that children aged 10–16 years with this type of virus were more likely to be admitted to intensive care units, compared with those who had influenza A.

Antivirals can especially benefit people with a greater risk of flu complications, including young children, older adults, pregnant women, and people with certain chronic illnesses.

Antiviral medications work best when a person takes them within 1–2 days of symptoms starting.

There are a few different types of antivirals for the flu, including:

• oseltamivir
  • zanamivir
  • peramivir
  • baloxavir marboxil
These can come in pill, liquid, inhalable powder, or intravenous forms.

2017 study, the vaccine may reduce the risk of in-hospital deaths from the flu, prevent associated intensive care unit hospitalization, and reduce the duration of related hospital stays.

Flu / Cold / SARS

Medically reviewed by Stacy Sampson, D.O. on January 10, 2020 — Written by Shannon Johnson

Prevention

The following can help prevent a person from catching or spreading the flu:

• limiting contact with sick people
  • staying home when ill
  • covering the nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing
  • washing the hands often
  • disinfecting surfaces that may contain flu germs
  • avoid touching the eyes, nose, and mouth
  • wearing a mask when leaving the house

Outlook

There are four types of influenza virus, and influenza A and B are the most common.

While many people recover from the flu with home remedies, influenza A and B can each cause serious illness and death in people with a high risk of complications.

There is no cure for the flu, but rest and drinking fluids can help ease symptoms. Antiviral medications may also help shorten the duration of the illness.

People who experience severe flu symptoms or any complications should receive medical attention."

And finally (if you are still reading!) .... CDC produced this:

View attachment 34074

What does all this demonstrate? 7/8ths of SFA it would appear.

Back