strawberries

Callaway

Has anyone tried growing strawberries in or around Surin? I have bought some seeds from ebay for blue strawberries and want to give them a go. Has anyone seen any strawberry plants for sale? Both the missus and myself love the things so want to get some going. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks guys

so you think Surin cannot do? Have had success in Perth in Australia and that is pretty damn warm without too much cool weather

Lovely - strawberries and cream! You might have more success if you move to Chiang Mai.

Strawberries in Chiang Mai SUCK and thats the good points. Living there for 6 years I should know. The strawberries grown in Thailand look good but their taste is next to a dog ****. They are NOTHING like a western strawberry. The only way you can come close to a dissent strawberry is to build a green house with controlled environment western seeds or plants.

Strawberries in Chiang Mai SUCK and thats the good points. Living there for 6 years I should know. The strawberries grown in Thailand look good but their taste is next to a dog ****. They are NOTHING like a western strawberry. The only way you can come close to a dissent strawberry is to build a green house with controlled environment western seeds or plants.
I gather you dislike the taste of dog ****s, gotlost! Most people around this area eat the dog, not its ****s!

^^^ True, GL. Particularly strawberries from Oxnard , Cali-forn-i-a.

I am going to give it a go so will keep you all informed. I will try growing the blue strawberries and giant reds. As they say "nothing ventured nothing gained"

I am sue you can grow berries in Surin, big and/or small.

But if you are seeking tasty stuff I think you must look into greenhouse/controlled temperature stuff.

This year/season we sourced strawbs from CM and they were as good as 'western' ones. Until recently, I would have agreed with GL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like GL, I lived in Chiangmai for some years, and have much the same opinion of the Thai strawberries as he has. But not all are bad, though the good ones are hard to find.

But I think even those are just poison pills, loaded with pesticides and other unhealthy ingredients!

This year/season we sourced strawbs from CM and they were as good as 'western' ones. Until recently, I would have agreed with GL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWMBO and I are going up to Chiang Mai tomorrow. While there I shall partake in some berries and report back. I do not look for any improvement. FYI the Samonge Strawberry Festival is on this weekend by chance. If you have not been to it its worth the time but don't look for any quality. Samonge is the number 1 area for gowing strawberries in Thailand its about 45 km west of CNX. http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/samoeng-strawberry-festival-starts-feb-11/

I stand to be corrected. The Samoeng Strawberries have made a tremendous step forward. This in the past couple of years.. I OD on strawberries while in Chiang Mai and we did bring some back. There are two kinds the normal strawberry that the Thais like that are small and are sour. THEN there are the big sweet and fantastic strawberries we love. These are not cheep 100 baht for what I call half a pint about 10 berries and 300 baht for what I call a quart. This fruit was being sold not only in Chiang Mai but for about 250 km down the 11 and highway 1 at fruit stalls on the highway. As for growing SWMBO purchased what she calls "strawberry trees". These plants are about 16 inches tall and they bare fruit and a flower. Its the flower she wants to grow as it will produces another plant. She says you take the fruit off before it ripens and the flower branches will grow more at which time she will graft it off and replant to make more strawberry plants. She she has a fantastic area in front of the house which for over a year has had organic fertilizer added on a regular basses. She has been grown fantastic tomatoes, lettuce and YELLOW lemons in this area. She purchased 8 of these strawberry trees. I shall post photos and updates.

Just came across this on FB. interesting info,photos and contact details. https://www.facebook.com/StrawberrySamoeng/

11044568_962320377119530_4749716380753116308_n.jpg

First four are in their bed. The "Tree is what I call a stranger. The boss says to keep the new berries off of it for a while and later she will plant it still attached to the stranger in the ground, after she sees that it has rooted she will cut it lose.

12743694_961006850613527_4487047700878018859_n.jpg
12743940_961006860613526_3768690406937855009_n.jpg

Back