Sunday roast surin city..

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
There are only two venues that do a Sunday Roast and both are in Prasat. Staffords and Ryans. Any thought of the venues in Surin City for doing this..?

There are only two venues that do a Sunday Roast and both are in Prasat. Staffords and Ryans. Any thought of the venues in Surin City for doing this..?

We will not be doing this ourselves. Norby does a nice roast pork plate special. It depends on how many people want this, and saying they want it, would support the venue producing the weekly meal by actually buying it much of the time. I'd think if there was enough interest, and the interest turned a profit for the restaurant (these sort of dinners are a lot of work), it would already be being done here in Surin. And as you say, there are already two places doing this every Sunday. Why would people in Prasat then come to Surin for it?

Mike

Last edited:
We will not be doing this ourselves. Norby does a nice roast pork plate special. It depends on how many people want this, and saying they want it, would support the venue producing the weekly meal by actually buying it much of the time. I'd think if there was enough interest, and the interest turned a profit for the restaurant (these sort of dinners are a lot of work), it would already be being done here. And as you say, there are already two places doing this every Sunday. Why would people in Prasat then come to Surin for it?

Mike

Agreed Mike. I think Starbeams has a big enough, and varied menu as it is without piling on the extra hassle of serving up a Sunday roast for a few Die Hards. What happens after you Roast up a pile of Beef/Pork/Lamb/Chicken and vegetables and hardly any punters turn up to order it? I wouldn't even consider If i were you.
Just my hand full of loose change, with some scrunched up tissue and fluff worth.

Agreed Mike. I think Starbeams has a big enough, and varied menu as it is without piling on the extra hassle of serving up a Sunday roast for a few Die Hards. What happens after you Roast up a pile of Beef/Pork/Lamb/Chicken and vegetables and hardly any punters turn up? I wouldn't even consider If i were you.
Just my hand full of loose change, with some scrunched up tissue and fluff worth.

Exactly, Luke. I figure to each their own. You already have 2 great places doing this every Sunday, and only a mere 30 minutes drive from downtown Surin city. The 2 Gary's put out a great roast dinner plate for a good price. What we do is a bit different, we serve up some meals and variety no one else does, and many like the choices it gives them. You can't be everything for everybody. And it's good for all there is a choice of venues doing their thing well.

Mike

Not sure about Surin but I've heard the feast at Ryans was well with the trip out there from Surin!

N SPADES..
images

On some Sunday's I go to the Sportmans in Pattya and they have a Carvery Sunday Lunch
http://www.sportsmanpub.com/food-and-drink-overview.html
Surely the 2 places you have mentioned just use pre-prepared food that is frozen and then re-cook/heat the food when a customer orders it.If this is the case then a Sunday lunch would be no different then any other meal that most restaurant offer.If customers think that every food item they eat is freshly made with freshly cooked ingredients then they must be mad or don't understand how a restaurant kitchen works.
I also find it hard to believe that a local restaurant owner even agrees with a poster that Sunday Lunches offered at other venues are laid out like a Carvery and food would be wasted.

On some Sunday's I go to the Sportmans in Pattya and they have a Carvery Sunday Lunch
Surely the 2 places you have mentioned just use pre-prepared food that is frozen and then re-cook/heat the food when a customer orders it.If this is the case then a Sunday lunch would be no different then any other meal that most restaurant offer.If customers think that every food item they eat is freshly made with freshly cooked ingredients then they must be mad or don't understand how a restaurant kitchen works.
I also find it hard to believe that a local restaurant owner even agrees with a poster that Sunday Lunches offered at other venues are laid out like a Carvery and food would be wasted.

I suggest you go to enjoy a meal at each of these venues, have a talk with the respective owners and then post your apology or change of mindset.

"I also find it hard to believe that a local restaurant owner even agrees with a poster that Sunday Lunches offered at other venues are laid out like a Carvery and food would be wasted"

If you are referring to my post I never said it would be wasted. All leftovers can be used in other meals, sandwiches, frozen for later use, etc. I just think it would be a waste of time and effort when two good places are already doing the same thing nearby, and there really not being enough customers wanting these sort of roast dinners to make it worth the while and the effort. We already have a large diverse menu as is, and no one is clamoring for the roast dinners, as they have the option at the other two venues that do a good job of it for a good price.

Just if that was directed at me. :)

Mike

There are some really great places to enjoy a Sunday roast dinner in the Surin area... I'v heard that two of them are fantastic and from the pictures I've seen and feedback I've read/heard... they are worth the time and effort to experience them... assuming you live within driving range that is!

There are some really great places to enjoy a Sunday roast dinner in the Surin area... I'v heard that two of them are fantastic and from the pictures I've seen and feedback I've read/heard... they are worth the time and effort to experience them... assuming you live within driving range that is!

Yes, they are. Ryan's and Stafford's are the ONLY 2 places that do this roast dinner in the area. Both are very good and have a decent pricing from what I have heard. You should take a Sunday or two and try them both when you can. I plan to do the same.

Mike

I suggest you go to enjoy a meal at each of these venues, have a talk with the respective owners and then post your apology or change of mindset.

Apologise for what exactly ? Youve lost me there Moon2

Agreed Mike. I think Starbeams has a big enough, and varied menu as it is without piling on the extra hassle of serving up a Sunday roast for a few Die Hards. What happens after you Roast up a pile of Beef/Pork/Lamb/Chicken and vegetables and hardly any punters turn up to order it? I wouldn't even consider If i were you.

You were one of them i can recal.:smile:

Nah mate, that's not true. I probably sit down to a Sunday roast, every 2 months at best and would be just as happy having a Burger or a steak.
I can remember one Christmas lunch in Pattaya, where I had an omlette.

Nah mate, that's not true. I probably sit down to a Sunday roast, every 2 months at best and would be just as happy having a Burger or a steak.
I can remember one Christmas lunch in Pattaya, where I had an omlette.

Thank you luke.ThumbUp6

Martin at FC always had the Sunday Roast and was always busy. That was back when the farang population was much smaller. I think it would do well if it was priced right.

Last edited:
Martin at FC always had the Sunday Roast and was always busy. That was back when the farang population was much smaller. I think it would do well if it was priced right.

Joe,

Back then Martin was the only one who had the Sunday roast dinner (5 years and more ago, before he became ill), there were less restaurants around doing western foods, hell, there were less farang restaurants. There may have been less farangs around, but there seemed to be more from England back then as well who enjoy the Sunday roast dinner, and most were older and it was their custom to have a roast dinner every Sunday, sort of a national habit. And Martin was British and mainly served British dishes.

There seems to me, now at least, to be many more farang, but less British punters - more German, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, and Americans and Australians, most of who do not eat an English roast dinner on Sundays. Plus, Martin was a good host and had been around for ages doing what he did best. Times change. Now the best for British fare in the area are Stafford's and Ryan's Resort in Prasat, and a declining customer base of British, and those who are left are mainly (meaning not all) pensioners dealing with a declining exchange rate for their UK Pounds/Baht. Many of these pensioners, who can cook, cook and eat at home those foods they are accustomed to, because it is less expensive to do so and they have less baht to eat out as often as they may like to. Many prefer their own cooking to fare they can get elsewhere. So again, due to these factors mentioned, and the deaths, sadly, of many of the older regulars who lived in Surin, there is actually a smaller customer base I would think for these English roast dinners. I may be wrong, but then if it is so lucrative an undertaking I am sure someone will start these in Surin city for those supposedly clamoring for it.

Mike

p.s. And remember, as someone said/posted here recently, Martin said he barely made any money off the restaurant. He said the only time he made real money was during the Elephant Festival week (that would be due to volume from the tourists). It's one reason why he had his hand in a few other ventures to keep afloat and make some cash. Why do all the work and make little off it?

Last edited:
Back