Surin Khao Tom shop of 30 years closing down

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
The legendary khao tom restaurant in the heart of the entertainment district closes down. Has been in Surin for nearly 30 years. Khao Tom Inter Restaurant.

1628570539028.png

Ask yourselves the last time you went there...then you'll realize why it's closing ...particularly when it did a brisk business for the night-time entertainment patrons and service personnel.

But possibly there is more to the story behind the demise of this "Five Bhat Rice Soup" establishment.

When is the last time you grabbed a bite to eat (with or without a beer) around 02:00 - 03:00 after Speed Disco began to clear...or with a karaoke gal ?

Seriously, Ivor. That may have made 'legendary' for some. When I resided at the Majestic Apartments I probably landed in there once (possibly twice) weekly.
It certainly was my oyster omelette & Chang go-to spot after dark.

What a shame. Never used to go there I always used the one near the station. Which is also an endangered species. I saw signs up not so long ago.
Bye the way That shop is Khao Tom International.
Here is an interesting Thai language tale for you all. There is a generic term for these shops. Khao tom rawb dirk. Means Late night rice porridge. It is a euphemism for taking a girl out from a bar/disco or what ever and shagging her. Because thats where you always end up after. :)

It was a late night go to when all else was closed. Now nothing is open or closed of an evening. They did a good trade at night. Went there for many years when I was doing the 'have a few late at night and hungry'. There will be more closing in the next few weeks or so I'd bet. Many tried to stay open. Most are scratching their ass now as the virus has just gone on too long, especially the late night venues. The night life is toast.

It was a late night go to when all else was closed. Now nothing is open or closed of an evening. They did a good trade at night. Went there for many years when I was doing the 'have a few late at night and hungry'. There will be more closing in the next few weeks or so I'd bet. Many tried to stay open. Most are scratching their ass now as the virus has just gone on too long, especially the late night venues. The night life is toast.
Where abouts was it, Mike?.???

The Speed side of the street heading going north and roughly across from the Hippie House . I have eaten there many times, always drunk and I the wee hours of the morning. I wouldn't say the food is exceptional but it is/ was open very late and
it is better to fall asleep with something in your stomach other than copious amounts of alcohol.

Last edited:
The Speed side of the street heading going north and roughly across from the Hippie House . I have eaten there many times, always drunk and I the wee hours of the morning. I wouldn't say the food is exceptional but it is/ was open very late and
it is better to fall asleep with something in your stomach other than copious amounts of alcohol.
Speed 1,2 or 3?
I dont know the Hippie House either?

Back