Surin Traffic Police

nomad97

Resident Geek
In 50 odd years of driving 1000's and 1000's of miles or kilometers I have never received a ticket for speeding. Have I exceeded the speed limit? Of course, nearly every time I drive I cruise around the 100 kilometer mark. But look out guys and gals, the Surin Traffic Police have been learning a few new tricks. My wife received, in the post yesterday afternoon, a speeding ticket for a traffic violation on 24th July. There was a picture of the number plate, together with the rear end of the car, and an endorsement that the car had been clocked at 112 kph, at 3.22 pm on road ...... It was somewhere in the north of the province. I never saw the radar gun and I never saw anyone standing by the side of the road. Sneaky. It was a quiet, straight road too.

I was driving but the ticket is made out to my wife, the owner of the car. She is not amused! Gone to work this morning in a huff muttering something to the effect that I must not exceed the speed limit when I drive the car. I retorted that there will not be a next time because she can start doing all the driving for herself. LOL.

So the owner of the vehicle is responsible for paying the fine, whoever is driving?

That's interesting for those who have got cars in Thai peoples names to simplify the process or drive without a D/L (They do exist and pointing no fingers BTW).

and its a very beautiful color photo with details suitable for framing. You can pay at your local postoffice.//flag

I have seen the BIB setting up radar gun traps but have not seen a speed camera yet.
Thanks, NM we now know they have them. When they start a demerit point scheme thats when it will make a difference to who the car is registered to. In Oz there is a place on the fine that attributes the loss of points to the driver. Bye the way NM, How much was the fine?.

and its a very beautiful color photo with details suitable for framing. You can pay at your local postoffice.//flag

We haven't got a local Post Office, remember, it's halfway to Buriram! And no, cannot pay at the local Post Office, have to pay the fine at the Traffic Police Headquarters on the road to Prasat.

I have seen the BIB setting up radar gun traps but have not seen a speed camera yet.
Thanks, NM we now know they have them. When they start a demerit point scheme thats when it will make a difference to who the car is registered to. In Oz there is a place on the fine that attributes the loss of points to the driver. Bye the way NM, How much was the fine?.

The fine was the standard 400 Baht. And I still have a 50 year unblemished record of no speeding tickets or, should I say, 50 odd years of undetected traffic violations! Its my wife who has the traffic violation against her driving licence. LOL.
Big Grin_Jump1

These photo cameras have been in use for about two years in other parts of Thailand they are now just getting out where the buffalo roam. Yes the ticket is mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle and new registration of said vehicle can not be done till the ticket is paid. A receipt is mailed back to the car owner, no tea money.

BTW Major cop stop with army both north and south on the 214 about 5 km south of the army base.

We got one last month in the post from Sikhiu, after the missus had a small go at me, which I accepted. I had a closer look and realised that the date and time meant it was her driving after I had been dropped off at the airport. Oh how she laughed!!!

I think it was 500baht and paid at the post office.

We got one posted from Prakonchai last April. Not sure if the Misses has paid it off though.

A scofflaw !

In 50 odd years of driving 1000's and 1000's of miles or kilometers I have never received a ticket for speeding. Have I exceeded the speed limit? Of course, nearly every time I drive I cruise around the 100 kilometer mark. But look out guys and gals, the Surin Traffic Police have been learning a few new tricks. My wife received, in the post yesterday afternoon, a speeding ticket for a traffic violation on 24th July. There was a picture of the number plate, together with the rear end of the car, and an endorsement that the car had been clocked at 112 kph, at 3.22 pm on road ...... It was somewhere in the north of the province. I never saw the radar gun and I never saw anyone standing by the side of the road. Sneaky. It was a quiet, straight road too.

I was driving but the ticket is made out to my wife, the owner of the car. She is not amused! Gone to work this morning in a huff muttering something to the effect that I must not exceed the speed limit when I drive the car. I retorted that there will not be a next time because she can start doing all the driving for herself. LOL.

Damn - (70 mph !!!) 112 mph in a 90 zone !!!
The audacity of foreigners in broad daylight !

Actually sounds like you'll have the tellie all to yourself as you might be sleeping on that lazy-boy recliner.
What time is the game p4rty

GL, I have checked with SWMBO and you are quite right, the ticket may be paid at the Post Office. However, they have to post the ticket and the fine onto the Highway Police before you get confirmation that its all cleared. In our case, the drive to the Highway Police and the Post Office is much the same, although the Police HQ maybe longer the journey time will be quicker.

Damn - (70 mph !!!) 112 mph in a 90 zone !!!
The audacity of foreigners in broad daylight !

Actually sounds like you'll have the tellie all to yourself as you might be sleeping on that lazy-boy recliner.
What time is the game p4rty

Naughty, naughty! It's two weeks too early for the start of the footy. That said, the recliner is very comfortable so not a bad option if I get the cold shoulder tonight.

Back