"Sweet Dreams (xe)...

The USD remains staggeringly strong against ALL major world currencies.

Sadly equity markets and economies are going to take the tumble as the Fed ratches ahead with higher interest rates.

When one loses a job and/or can no longer afford credit or mortgage payments then inflation is no longer their worst-case scenario.

Small businesses rely on credit markets; the same as emerging economies.

Inflation worries , Mr Q Public?
No worries as OPEC will squeeze your cajones while you're all curled up warm and snug to enjoy World Cup Fútból Qatar in seven weeks.

Will see how the next round of interest rates affect the dollar strength next month. 40 or more by the 1st of the year?

Taken from two weeks ago you can see how the US$ is continuing to loom large against other currencies as investment options.
20221020_110654.jpg

"Don't bet against the Fed."

Will see how the next round of interest rates affect the dollar strength next month. 40 or more by the 1st of the year?

That was quick...from ~38 to ~35.

With a magical wave of his Federal Reserve wand Chairman Jerome Powell :cool: has knocked the USD/THB exchange rate down by 3 bhat over these past 30 days.

(USD xe GBP, Euro and AUD has decreased too.)

1 December 2022:
That was quick...from ~38 to ~35.

With a magical wave of his Federal Reserve wand Chairman Jerome Powell :cool: has knocked the USD/THB exchange rate down by 3 bhat over these past 30 days.

(USD xe GBP, Euro and AUD has decreased too.)

Sux twat...USD xe THB just popped below 33.
(Same as the rate one year ago January.)

Sux twat...USD xe THB just popped below 33.
(Same as the rate one year ago January.)

When I first came to Thailand in '94 the US$ exchange rate was around ฿25.00. The Pound Sterling was around ฿40.00.

Today the US$ exchange rate is ฿33.00 whereas the Pound Sterling is ฿40.00.

Think yourself lucky.

When I first came to Thailand in '94 the US$ exchange rate was around ฿25.00. The Pound Sterling was around ฿40.00.

Today the US$ exchange rate is ฿33.00 whereas the Pound Sterling is ฿40.00.

Think yourself lucky.

My word, Yorky...just 39 years ago. (I'll take your word on the xe-rates. What was the cost of beer, petrol and 'long-time'?)

The DJIA was 3,900...now only 34,000.

Amazing you're still here in Thailand. Think yourself lucky on how well you've done. :)

My word, Yorky...just 39 years ago. (I'll take your word on the xe-rates. What was the cost of beer, petrol and 'long-time'?)

The DJIA was 3,900...now only 34,000.

Amazing you're still here in Thailand. Think yourself lucky on how well you've done. :)

I think you'll find it was 29 years ago. But whatever. I have no idea about the XE rates as I was not aware then that they existed. I think that I remember diesel being RM1.00/litre in Malaysia (where I lived and worked from '94 to '98) so that would have been around ฿10.00/litre in Thailand. Beer at that time ('94) was RM6.00 for a 330ml glass in the hotels but could be purchased at half that during happy hours. If you played the system, which I did, happy hours were available until almost midnight. I believe that "long time" sex was available in Bangkok for ฿1,000.00 in the usual joints but in Soi 33 it would have been double or triple that.

"How well I've done" is nothing to do with luck.

Last edited:
I think you'll find it was 29 years ago.

Quite correct...29 years ago. I can blame on fat fingers on my Samsung but I won't.

You might also well recall the bond market crash of 1994 that resulted from the Fed ratcheting up interest rates...thus pummeling the USD exchange rate.

Sterling exchange rate still struggling at just over ฿40.00. Looks like I'll now have to wait until next Christmas to bring money over!

Back