Thai double-tax treaties

Earlier this year Surin Revenue Dept refused to sign a document for a widow who was subject to double tax, which would have enabled her to only pay tax in Thailand. They allegedly told her that Double Taxation did not apply to pensions!

"Doesn't apply"?.....................................meaning that pensions are exempt from taxation arrangements?

The Surin Revenue Office understanding of the Double Taxation Agreement is somewhat different towhat I understand it to be.

Have been trying to get an accountant either in Surin or Bangkok to assist with getting the required signature, (Only to state the widow lives in Surin and has always done so) but nobody has responded to my enquiries.

"Residents are liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand." I wonder how they will be able to prove one is bringing in income from foreign sources. What about savings, or inheritance money? All comes to Thailand from a bank or similar i na foreign country..WISE in the case of many farangs.

"Residents are liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand." I wonder how they will be able to prove one is bringing in income from foreign sources. What about savings, or inheritance money? All comes to Thailand from a bank or similar i na foreign country..WISE in the case of many farangs.
I noticed on my accounts and my wife's accounts that external transfers to here have different codes...

"Doesn't apply"?.....................................meaning that pensions are exempt from taxation arrangements?
Any further info on this, now that I've got a second (Gov) pension it will be liable to taxation from UK.
Will I have to pay tax from Thailand too or will it be exempt because of the UK Double Taxation Treaty????

Any further info on this, now that I've got a second (Gov) pension it will be liable to taxation from UK.
Will I have to pay tax from Thailand too or will it be exempt because of the UK Double Taxation Treaty????
Iv'e done 2 transferees so far this year with no deduction evident in my Thai account--BTW, I pay no tax in Australia.

There are no deductions made by banks.
The new law says you will have to do your tax returns here in Thailand in March 2025 for the first time, if you (want to?) pay taxes here.

Why do you think you would be taxed twice on the same income?

Because I always expect the unexpected when it comes to the treatment of expats over here.

That might make you overly cautious .

Plan for the best, prepare for the worst. (as the Garman sausage makers used to say).

Don't worry, you will not pay tax in Thailand unless you earn money in Thailand.

Back