Thai immigration gets tough

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa/overstay-crackdown-uses-facial-recognition-tech

Screenshot_2022-12-07-06-29-17-23.jpg
They have one of these BMW's at SSK Immigration. I have seen it occasionally on the rural highway that leads to the city and always driving 60 mph.
I assume at that speed the cameras equipped with advanced facial recognition software are of no use however until the tenth of Dec I will wear sunglasses and a COVID mask when I leave my home.

My visa is in order but no sense taking chances.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa/overstay-crackdown-uses-facial-recognition-tech

View attachment 57153
They have one of these BMW's at SSK Immigration. I have seen it occasionally on the rural highway that leads to the city and always driving 60 mph.
I assume at that speed the cameras equipped with advanced facial recognition software are of no use however until the tenth of Dec I will wear sunglasses and a COVID mask when I leave my home.

My visa is in order but no sense taking chances.
George in disguise .....................

1670372133530.png

From the comments of the article

Like · Reply · 4h

Eric Kenly
Mr. Williams was trying to conclude a business deal with his US partner and some residents living in Phang Nga--the deal fell through. That made him return to his original residence, which was Rawai. He checked into a hotel (whose job it is to report the residency to immigration). There was no fleeing or going into hiding from authorities. This story should be better investigated, the reporting is sensational at best, bordering on criminal defamation.
Like · Reply · 2 · 10h

I love the particular quirk of overstay regulations. If you over stay up to 90 days and "Don't get caught" You will receive a maximum fine of 20.000 Baht and no further penalty.
BUT if you are caught for one day over you may be imprisoned, indefinitely and placed on the black list for 5 years when you are deported. Hopefully in a timely manor.
Indefinitely you choke! There has been well documented cases where people were unwilling or could not identify them selves, that died in Suan Pru in Bangkok. After living there for 20 or more years. Amazing Thailand.

Some further reading

Just 8 days overstay. And others with years of overstay pay a 20K baht fine and some can renew their visa if they have the money. Sounds more than a bit dodgy. But hey, do your visa stuff is my motto and stay legal, or leave on your own terms.

https://thethaiger.com/news/nationa...s-thailand-banned-for-5-years-for-overstaying

You guys thought I was joking about sunglasses and a mask.
Sisaket Immigration picked this guy up in the city yesterday.

A British man was arrested for overstaying his welcome in the Isaan province of Sisaket yesterday. He admitted to immigration officers that overstaying in the country was wrong but he loved Thailand so much that he did not want to leave.

The Sisaket Provincial Immigration Police were doing their rounds and checking on foreigners in the area when their database threw up the name of Michael McLaughlin.

Yet he was allowed to pay the fine and get his visa shite in er and come right back? Wow! 7 years!

Hence him being referred to as the now departed SSK legend.

The fixed lengths of bans is a relatively new policy and implemented after the "legend's"
problems were solved.

Screenshot_2022-12-07-12-58-01-16.jpg
FB_IMG_1670392690437.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-07-12-57-10-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-07-12-57-10-14.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Hence him being referred to as the now departed SSK legend.

The fixed lengths of bans is a relatively new policy and implemented after the "legend's"
problems were solved.

View attachment 57180
View attachment 57181
What's funny is that later down the line, when immigration needed a temporary base to meet farangs, they actually used his bar/resto for business.
Actually, I was wrong with my previous comment. This is Irish Micheal who smashed up my mates rental bike, then bought it. The last time I saw this idiot,( I think) he was buying drugs from a dodgy place outside of SSK.

Back