Thailand Flowers

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
Thailand Flowers

Just some pics of flowers I have taken here in Thailand over the years and had sent by e-mail for my father's enjoyment on cold Boston winter days. Sadly a PC crash lost me many of these I had taken. The one thing I do love about Thailand is flowers are blooming in nearly each month of the year.

GT2-2.jpg

Waterlilies.jpg

saraburi-phanomrung-villagehouse136.jpg

saraburi-phanomrung-villagehouse114.jpg

11ddb3bd.jpg

1136265736_part3_1.jpg

1136266244_part4.jpg

1136266367_part5_1.jpg

1136266825_part6.jpg

1136266872_part7.jpg

1136266955_part8.jpg

1136267035_part9_1.jpg

1136267192_part10_1.jpg

dae6a797.jpg

a1136266872_part7-1.jpg

Last edited:
I found a nice site with pics of flowers in Thailand. Here are some for your enjoyment.

flore-orchid-aerides-1.jpg

AERIDES
The name AERIDES means air-plant. About 20 species belong to this genus of monopodial epiphytes. Most species are easy to grow and have highly perfumed flowers. AERIDES ODORATA is variable in colour, from deep pink to pure white, and is widely distributed throughout Southeast Asia. AERIDES QUINQUEVULNERA is from Philippines and New Guinea. AERIDES ROSEA, from Northern Thailand, was formerly well known as AERIDES FIELDINGI. Many hydrids have been made between AERIDES and other members of what are loosely termed the "vandaceous" family.

flore-orchid-oncidium-1.jpg

ONCIDIUM
Among the 400 or so ONCIDIUM species are many extremely varied plants, which range from diminutive equitants - small, fan-like, foliage plants with brightly coloured flowers - to large-bulbed, long-spiked beauties such as ONCODIUM MACRANTHUM. In between, are numerous, delightful plants of modest size with brightly coloured blooms which are predominantly yellow.
Height : 15-30 cm (6-12in).

flore-orchid-phalaenopsis-2.jpg

flore-orchid-phalaenopsis-3.jpg

PHALAENOPSIS
the natural genus of PHALAENOPSIS is made up of almost 50 species, originating from the Old World through India, South-east Asia, Indonesia and parts of Australia. Most are evergreen epiphytic plants. Many hybrids have been produced from the wild species. It is arguably the most important commercial genus of orchids in the world.
Heigh : 15 cm (6in)

flore-plant-adenium.jpg

ADENIUM OBESUM (Desert Rose)
A member of the same botanical family as the Frangipani, it is, in fact, sometimes called the Japanese Frangipani. Adenium is a small treelet native to arid East Africa and Arabia, reaching a height of about 1 m. Intolerant of damp conditions, Adenium is usually seen grown as a pot plant in Southeast Asia. When cut, exudes a poisonous latex.

I see these 'Desert Rose' flowering plants all around the area. Have some across from our house. Brilliant bright pink color... nearly fluorescent!

To see more pics and good info on flowers of Thailand go here and check out the site page: http://www.samuiphanganinfo.com/samui-tropical-plants-orchids-flowers.html

Mike

Last edited:
Moo Ban,

That pic of the water lilies was taken at the side of a road nearby my village. They were growing in a water filled ditch. If you watch them over a period of time they open and close depending on the strength of the sunshine they are getting, or time of day maybe. They are beautiful.

Recently on one of my daily morning walks I was noticing a wonderful perfumy aroma. I spied a tree with small yellow flower clusters hanging down nearby and went and stood beneath it. Wow! The aroma was intense and quite nice. The scent and flowers were there for about 10 days before the flowers fell off.

Mike

Back