Travelling out of Thailand with a grandchild

J

johnb

We are thinking about travelling to Europe next year with our grandson but not with his mother.

Before embarking on the bureaucracy, I was wondering if any members here have experience of this and know exactly what paperwork is likely to be necessary here at the Thailand end of things. Entry to UK and Portugal I can deal with, complicated though it is likely to be......but what might I need here to take the little blighter out of the country for a few weeks?

Thanks in advance for any advice, experience, tales of woe you can share.

We are thinking about travelling to Europe next year with our grandson but not with his mother.

Before embarking on the bureaucracy, I was wondering if any members here have experience of this and know exactly what paperwork is likely to be necessary here at the Thailand end of things. Entry to UK and Portugal I can deal with, complicated though it is likely to be......but what might I need here to take the little blighter out of the country for a few weeks?

Thanks in advance for any advice, experience, tales of woe you can share.

The airline you are considering using would be the first port of call in my view. They will know the procedure as it will have happened many times.

Good thought by Nick.

Does this child have a Thai passport ?

Second port-of-call would be IMM - though Central IMM, not just in KC.

I am sure you are referring to that very young grandson that you are so fond of, correct ? shrug1
I am sure you're going to require documentation from both parents. The young child's birth certificate will not show the maternal or paternal grandparents names.

Though I have no experience taking a grandchild who is a minor (and a toddler at that) I am fairly sure you are embarking on a whirlwind of bureaucratic paperwork as you are not a parent nor a Thai.
(Rightfully so to stop the trafficking of young children.)
I can only wish you luck.

{sp-ck-police > traveling as opposed to travel-ling. I'm surprised at you , sir.}

G
{sp-ck-police > traveling as opposed to travel-ling. I'm surprised at you , sir.}

Thank you, Coffee....just a keyboard stammer!

On the main topic, I am sure you are right about the likelihood of a bureaucratic whirlwind. We will at least make preliminary enquiries and see where they take us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I play the Devil's Advocate and ask why you would want to take, to use your words, a "little blighter" with you on holiday to Europe? I know I resisted taking my very young children on holiday with me as they were, to put it mildly, more trouble than they were worth. I waited until they were a little older.

Can I play the Devil's Advocate and ask why you would want to take, to use your words, a "little blighter" with you on holiday to Europe? I know I resisted taking my very young children on holiday with me as they were, to put it mildly, more trouble than they were worth. I waited until they were a little older.

I had very similar advice from our mutual friend Danny this morning. Remember I had no children to deal with as a younger man, so I am perhaps rather intense about this one.

I hear what you say and can see the sense in it. Back to the drawing board, though I would quite like my 90 year old Mum to meet him if possible.

the joys of traveling with toddlers

Your a fine gentleman and your intentions are well placed as you didn't have children of your own.
I'm assuming that this toddler is from one of your wife's children.
So basically - do you consider him your adopted son or grandson ?

After 10 minutes your precious Mum will be inquiring, "John , John my boy , this darling bugger doesn't speak English. I thought you were a teacher all those years away from home. Exactly who's boy is this , John ?"

Are you sure it's worth the trip at this juncture for a toddler that can not appreciate what England has to offer ?

As much as we love our Mums, I'd surmise at 90 they'd rather that the pleasurable peace and quiet hours are not to be generally disturbed for any length of time.
Keep in mind they took care and nurtured us when we were little 'trying' blighters though they were much younger - I think that was plenty for one Mum. Hug1

Your a fine gentleman and your intentions are well placed as you didn't have children of your own.
I'm assuming that this toddler is from one of your wife's children.
So basically - do you consider him your adopted son or grandson ?

After 10 minutes your precious Mum will be inquiring, "John , John my boy , this darling bugger doesn't speak English. I thought you were a teacher all those years away from home. Exactly who's boy is this , John ?"

Are you sure it's worth the trip at this juncture for a toddler that can not appreciate what England has to offer ?

As much as we love our Mums, I'd surmise at 90 they'd rather that the pleasurable peace and quiet hours are not to be generally disturbed for any length of time.
Keep in mind they took care and nurtured us when we were little 'trying' blighters though they were much younger - I think that was plenty for one Mum. Hug1

My Mum, who passed away last year at 98, made it clear that family could make brief visits only, when she was n her 90s but she wanted her peace and quiet. A 10 minute visit was maximum. A long way to go for a short time with a grandson who cannot speak to Grandma., nor understand what she might say.

I side with Coffee, and suggest a UK trip be left for much later in life.

My Mum, who passed away last year at 98, made it clear that family could make brief visits only, when she was n her 90s but she wanted her peace and quiet. A 10 minute visit was maximum. A long way to go for a short time with a grandson who cannot speak to Grandma., nor understand what she might say.

I side with Coffee, and suggest a UK trip be left for much later in life.

Not to mention the additional expense, self-imposed restrictions on freedom of movement and last, but by no means least, 24 hours or pure, unadulterated misery looking after a barely 2 year old youngster going to and from the UK by bus, taxi and aircraft - both going and returning to Surin. You're a better man than me JB and that's for sure.

...but John...

...indeed we're just old gits and obviously not as young in heart, spirit , body and mind as you are Bow5

John, I think you can read between the lines as it's your life to do as and when you wish when you wish and as you want.
Me = Dream1

...indeed we're just old gits and obviously not as young in heart, spirit , body and mind as you are Bow5

John, I think you can read between the lines as it's your life to do as and when you wish when you wish and as you want.
Me = Dream1

And I am not a glutton for punishment either!

Back