Tropical storm expected to arrive in Surin soon

Cent

FORUM SPONSOR
Tropical storm expected to arrive in Surin soon

SURIN, 23 February 2015 (NNT) - The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) has warned residents of the northeastern province of Surin that a tropical storm is forecast to arrive in summer.

The DDPM regional office in Surin has revealed that the province could be affected by the storm, which is expected to bring hail and thundershowers to many areas.

Residents were told to be cautious when leaving their homes. They were also urged to follow updates on the weather forecast and make sure their homes and other properties are structurally sound.

The DDPM has encouraged locals to call the 1784 hotline for emergency assistance. The agency is prepared to dispatch an emergency mobile unit to assist those affected by the storm.

-- NNT 2015-02-23
footer_n.gif.pagespeed.ce.3uNL2Gw0hNe_jlF4kjib.gif

I saw this, but didn't post it because it didn't seem to make much sense.

A tropical storm is a weak version of a typhoon or hurricane, but it doesn't mean this; it means a summer windstorm or thunderstorm.

It gives no date except to say "in summer". And when exactly is that?

Anybody in Isan should be prepared for these storms from February to May. They can be very violent, and do a lot of damage. In recent days there have been some in Northern Isan; all we have had so far are a few rather feeble thunderstorms, and a bit of rain. (GL seems to have had more rain than most of us, but that seems to be normal!)

Take care, and be prepared!

A tropical storm is a weak version of a typhoon or hurricane, but it doesn't mean this; it means a summer windstorm or thunderstorm.

This is not right IB. What they mean is a high altitude cumulonimbus storm or CB in aviation jargon. They can exhibit very strong micro burst winds and ground level.
This is the type of storm that downed the Air Asia flight out of Surabaya.

Anybody that lives in a well built house does not need to worry, but those that live in those wood sheds that have the minimal amount of clout nails holding down the tin. Well then I would worry. Getting hit by somebody's crapy house can ruin your day though.

This is not right IB. What they mean is a high altitude cumulonimbus storm or CB in aviation jargon. They can exhibit very strong micro burst winds and ground level.
This is the type of storm that downed the Air Asia flight out of Surabaya.

Anybody that lives in a well built house does not need to worry, but those that live in those wood sheds that have the minimal amount of clout nails holding down the tin. Well then I would worry. Getting hit by somebody's crapy house can ruin your day though.

You're right, Rice; thanks! But the use of 'tropical storm' is definitely wrong, as those who have lived in Hong Kong, Vietnam or the Philippines will know.

My in-laws lost the roof of their house to one of these storms a few years back.

You're right, Rice; thanks! But the use of 'tropical storm' is definitely wrong, as those who have lived in Hong Kong, Vietnam or the Philippines will know.

My in-laws lost the roof of their house to one of these storms a few years back.

As per normal in Thailand, what they say in English does not always mean what they intended. Severe isolated storm, would be a more apt description of what they want

Back