UK Police Subject Access Report

ColinW

Surin relic
I have been talking to the Thai Consulates in Hull and Birminham over the last couple of days about my permanent move to Thailand in December.
Both reiterated info I had seen on here that I should apply in the UK for an O non residents visa and apply in Thailand for a 1 year extension.
Both Consulates told me I would need to obtain in the UK a "Police Subject Access Report", which while not a problem is something I don't recall being mentioned on the forum.
Birmingham also told me I would need a letter from my UK doctor stating I was free of contagious diseases - is this correct for a first extension?
A forum member on a previous visit also told me it would be better to obtain an international driving licence before coming over.
Any advice welcome

I was under the impression from other members of this forum (and ThaiVisa) that all that would be required was the completed form, bank letter, copies of bank book etc.
Maybe something has changed....I am soon to go through this process as is ColinW....and would appreciate some guidance from SF members who may have recent experience of exactly what is required at Kap Choeng, as I believe there may be variation between immigration offices.

JohnB

Applying in Australia and applying in Thailand are two different worlds. I obtained my first Retirement Visa in Australia and needed medical, police, legal verification and three bound copies of everything. Re-applying in Thailand on 2 subsequent occasions I needed much less. It is probably similar for Brits, so both of the above posts could be correct.

I only know about driving - If you have a international licence it means you will get you Thai license a little bit quicker in Surin Maybe !

When I showed my international license I never had to take the test they just took all my details and said come back in a few hours ,Danny only had a UK license he had to take a Micky Mouse test Twas a joke ,I think more hassle getting the international license than to just do the small test here Collin ,once your over mate I will take you down there ,you just need address and letter off immigration its easy .Bit of fun pal.

I have been talking to the Thai Consulates in Hull and Birminham over the last couple of days about my permanent move to Thailand in December.
Both reiterated info I had seen on here that I should apply in the UK for an O non residents visa and apply in Thailand for a 1 year extension.
Both Consulates told me I would need to obtain in the UK a "Police Subject Access Report", which while not a problem is something I don't recall being mentioned on the forum.
Birmingham also told me I would need a letter from my UK doctor stating I was free of contagious diseases - is this correct for a first extension?
A forum member on a previous visit also told me it would be better to obtain an international driving licence before coming over.
Any advice welcome

I helped a good friend to come to move to Surin 3 months ago, I also prepared his 'pack' of info for an O Visa (retirement) from Hull.

No medical or police report was needed or mentioned on the Hull application form. This was required about 6 years ago though. I sent a couple of months bank statements up as evidence of income and visa was back within a week.
He is now happily living in Surin with his O visa but in order to stop him doing 3 month visa runs (1500b plus petrol) he will need an income letter from Jomtiem or BKK to prove ONCE AGAIN to Thai Immigration he has the reqd funds for a Retirement extension(OA). Sure this doesnt need to be done for a year but with it, you only then need to do 90 FREE address reports (TM47).

On hindsight, seeing as you have to go through a second income game when here, I think Id just buy the cheapest O visa in UK and sort it out when over here. BUT you MUST arrive with a visa for it then to be extended.
Like all things Thai, if you have some money there are always alternative! EvilLaugh1
I anybody wants advice, PM me and I will be happy to assist/advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cannot assist re visas, but if you have an International Driving Licence (permit) which only confirms what is on your UK licence,, you do not have to go through the formalities of a written driving test at the Land Transport Office when applying for a Thai driving licence You will though probably have to do a colour blindness test. Not sure what happens if you fail this!

Also useful to have the International driving licence (valid for 1 year) since even when you have a Thai driving licence, if you should be stopped by the police, and they want to see the driving licence, show the international one. If, as they have done with me before, they keep it for collection at the station, it's no loss, and you can forget the whole incident.

Cannot assist re visas, but if you have an International Driving Licence (permit) which only confirms what is on your UK licence,, you do not have to go through the formalities of a written driving test at the Land Transport Office when applying for a Thai driving licence You will though probably have to do a colour blindness test. Not sure what happens if you fail this!

Also useful to have the International driving licence (valid for 1 year) since even when you have a Thai driving licence, if you should be stopped by the police, and they want to see the driving licence, show the international one. If, as they have done with me before, they keep it for collection at the station, it's no loss, and you can forget the whole incident.

I think you have to sit through a video and do a reactions test too. All silly stuff though. Dont forget the Immigration Residence letter and Doctors cert too.

Gotlost posted recently about a friend who had a visa except stamp coverted to an O in Kap Cheong.

The medical cert and police clearance is for an OA. These are visas that are only obtainable in your home country. They are valid for a year, no need for border runs. You can get a multi entry which will give you two years with a border run. The only people that I have met with these types of visa, however, are Canadians.

You should be able to apply for a DL anywhere in Thailand. Pop over to Buriram( on the Prakonchai/Buriram road). You don't need a letter from Immigration; you only need a letter from the local police. If you have a DL from your home country then you only have to sit the colour blind test and the reaction test.

Comments on some of the above posts:

My original one year "O" Retirement Visa, obtained in Australia, was valid for nearly 2 years as I left the country and returned near the end of year 1. It gives you a year's stay from when you arrive, no matter how many times you arrive - described by Barry at Jomtien as "the best visa you can have". It includes multi-entry. Sounds like the visa obtained in Canada and would have expected it to be also available in UK and other countries. From then on, I have applied in Thailand and just get the year to stay (Re-entry visa required before leaving if I want to leave and return during the life of the Retirement Visa).

Definitely get an International License to make it easier to obtain a Thai License. It is also better recognized for highway police and insurance purposes in the period before you get your Thai license. Once you get your initial Thai license (one year validity), you won't need an International License to renew it.

If you fail the colour-blindness test? - my friend found he really was colour-blind - still got the license.

I helped a good friend to come to move to Surin 3 months ago, I also prepared his 'pack' of info for an O Visa (retirement) from Hull.

No medical or police report was needed or mentioned on the Hull application form. This was required about 6 years ago though. I sent a couple of months bank statements up as evidence of income and visa was back within a week.
He is now happily living in Surin with his O visa but in order to stop him doing 3 month visa runs (1500b plus petrol) he will need an income letter from Jomtiem or BKK to prove ONCE AGAIN to Thai Immigration he has the reqd funds for a Retirement extension(OA). Sure this doesnt need to be done for a year but with it, you only then need to do 90 FREE address reports (TM47).

On hindsight, seeing as you have to go through a second income game when here, I think Id just buy the cheapest O visa in UK and sort it out when over here. BUT you MUST arrive with a visa for it then to be extended.
Like all things Thai, if you have some money there are always alternative! EvilLaugh1
I anybody wants advice, PM me and I will be happy to assist/advise.

Thanks Stone,
Just to clarify I was told I did not need the Police Report for my 90 day visa obtained in the UK but I would need it when I applied for the one year extension in Thailand

Thanks Stone,
Just to clarify I was told I did not need the Police Report for my 90 day visa obtained in the UK but I would need it when I applied for the one year extension in Thailand

Probably best for someone who has recently got a years Retirement extension in Thailand to confirm this, but I am fairly sure a police report is not needed. Have you checked Thai Visa website?

All I can say with conviction is, that I never needed a police report when applying 5 times for an extension due to Married to a Thai.

If you fail you pay for tea money,they put you right on what you did wrong and off to trot ;]
Its so easy mate and only cost a few $ .

Last edited:
Probably best for someone who has recently got a years Retirement extension in Thailand to confirm this, but I am fairly sure a police report is not needed. Have you checked Thai Visa website?

All I can say with conviction is, that I never needed a police report when applying 5 times for an extension due to Married to a Thai.

Colin
Just spoke to a mate from UK who lives in my town and he confirmed he got an extension for retirement THIS WEEK without a police report.

Stone, that's good news but can you confirm it was the first extension for retirement in his case?

You don't need a police report when applying in Thailand as Thai immigration check the computer themselves when examining your application. They even have access to Interpol, occasionally leading to arrests and extraditions for homeland crimes.

Stone, that's good news but can you confirm it was the first extension for retirement in his case?

John
it was not this guys first extension of stay for retirement,but when visiting KC last week for another matter. My friend (Another one!!!!) was told by the Imm officer to get a UK Embassy income letter and they would then extend his 'O' visa from Hull, to a retirement extension for the first time. No mention of a police report was made by them.

I think you are being sent on a wild goose chase,matey//chlse

Thanks again Stone and others replying to this post.
I have been doing further research using Thaivisa, which clearly has a much bigger potential response base, and have found clear cut confirmation that Hull is giving out inaccurate info on this matter.
I have an up to date police report in any case, as we teachers have to get a new one each year here in Portugal.

Back