US Tax Question

DailyLunatic

Usually file through an accountant, but this year I made so little I decided to file my own using one of the 'Free' services promoted by the IRS.

Done it multiple times now, using several services, and keep running into issues. They don't take my foreign address, phone number etc. But got to the point of filing on one and it wants my Wife's SSN, or ITIN.

Here's the question: When I checked to see how my Wife was listed last year, he had me listed as 'Single', and avoided the issue altogether. Is that allowed. I can save a lot of paperwork that way if I can.

-sterling

Usually file through an accountant, but this year I made so little I decided to file my own using one of the 'Free' services promoted by the IRS.

Done it multiple times now, using several services, and keep running into issues. They don't take my foreign address, phone number etc. But got to the point of filing on one and it wants my Wife's SSN, or ITIN.

Here's the question: When I checked to see how my Wife was listed last year, he had me listed as 'Single', and avoided the issue altogether. Is that allowed. I can save a lot of paperwork that way if I can.

-sterling

Whether you are married or not YOU can file as a single person.

If your wife has no income to report she does not have to file.
I would tend to agree with you, but the automated system said, "You Shall Not Pass!"

I contacted support for the site and was told, "I am happy to help. Each person who is listed on a US tax return must have either a SSN or a TIN (taxpayer identification number), or sometimes called ITIN, Individual taxpayer ID number. As your wife does not have a SSN, you will need to apply for a ITIN. You will do this with a Form W-7."

This was me filing as: Married Filing Separately. She showed up when they asked for the Wife's name on the IRS form. My position is "Noneya Beeswax. She's not under your thumb. She's not a taxpayer, thus does not need a ITIN."

But don't know if reporting as Single is an option...

-sterling

I would tend to agree with you, but the automated system said, "You Shall Not Pass!"

I contacted support for the site and was told, "I am happy to help. Each person who is listed on a US tax return must have either a SSN or a TIN (taxpayer identification number), or sometimes called ITIN, Individual taxpayer ID number. As your wife does not have a SSN, you will need to apply for a ITIN. You will do this with a Form W-7."

This was me filing as: Married Filing Separately. She showed up when they asked for the Wife's name on the IRS form. My position is "Noneya Beeswax. She's not under your thumb. She's not a taxpayer, thus does not need a ITIN."

-sterling
I do. I am legally married and have and filed as single for 17 years.

-sterling

Sterling, if she has no income nor a Soc Sec or ITIN...and last year you filed as SINGLE...
Then WHY can you not file as single and leave your wife off of your return ?

(This isn't nuclear science. ;-)

Sterling, if she has no income nor a Soc Sec or ITIN...and last year you filed as SINGLE...
Then WHY can you not file as single and leave your wife off of your return ?

(This isn't nuclear science. ;-)

No. Its not nuclear science. If it's not allowed, it's lying.

I'm the Sad Sack that gets a ticket for going 35, in a 30. Just trying to stay away from perjury charges.

-sterling

When I checked to see how my Wife was listed last year, he had me listed as 'Single', and avoided the issue altogether. Is that allowed. I can save a lot of paperwork that way if I can.
-sterling

Yup, you can...particularly if you aren't registered as married in the USA.

Yup, you can...particularly if you aren't registered as married in the USA.
You do not have to register your marriage in the USA as long as you her have physical prof (passport or marriage license outside of the USA.

You do not have to register your marriage in the USA as long as you her have physical prof (passport or marriage license outside of the USA.
We are in the process of attempting to get her a Visa to the US based on marriage. Would that be tattling on myself?

-sterling

We are in the process of attempting to get her a Visa to the US based on marriage. Would that be tattling on myself?

-sterling
NO. She has my has my last name and been there 3 times. We go threw the same line and chat her up and say nothing to me.

I'm a bit late to this thread, but if you (Sterling) filed as single and you are, in fact, married to a wife with little income, you may have overpaid your taxes considerably.

I'm a bit late to this thread, but if you (Sterling) filed as single and you are, in fact, married to a wife with little income, you may have overpaid your taxes considerably.

WileE, without a social security number or ITIN for a spouse one would have a tough time of making that claim or receiving an additional standard deduction.

@DailyLunatic Sterling, get your ducks in a row for filing an IRS Form W-7. :)

I concur. There really is no disadvantage to filing as married rather than single, and it allows you to take the rather large 'married filing jointly' deduction of $27,700 rather than the single filer deduction of only $13,850. If your income is under $27,700, you'd have zero tax due. And the person you're married to does not need to be an American citizen, but you do need to get an ITN number, which is easy and free. I recommend the inexpensive computer program Turbotax, a simple, reliable aid to filing.

Back