Use a fan with that Aircon, 43 c coming this weekend

georgefromcanada

You chose a custom title

Save money, use a fan with that Aircon and cut your electric bill.

When the air conditioner is set to 25 degrees Celsius, it runs at 8.58 amps. However, by increasing the temperature to 27 degrees Celsius and using a fan, the amperage drops dramatically to 4.36 amps.

When the air conditioner is set to 25 degrees Celsius, it runs at 8.58 amps. However, by increasing the temperature to 27 degrees Celsius and using a fan, the amperage drops dramatically to 4.36 amps.
I have always done that. Doesn't everybody its only logical. That to reduce "The feels like temperature" you need to introduce wind chill. That's why your room set to 27C will fill like 25 with the fan on.
I think its funny how ignorant people are. But I have said that my whole life. Oh that's right I'm a smart arse. :)

I find that setting t he AC temp to 25c achieves nothing. I have a new AC installed, and this shows the temperature set, and also shows the room temperature. The AC was installed brand new on Monday. The installers set it to 25c before they left at 5pm on Monday, and the room temp was still reading 32c at midnight, so the AC was working flat out for 7 hours without dropping the room temp to 25c.

It seems unlikely therefore that a setting of 28c would be achieved in the room even if the AC was left on for more that 7 hours.

In an earlier post from months ago, I posted that I have other AC units directing cold air towards the floor, and use fans at floor level to distribute the cold air faster across the room. It works, and on the basis of @Rice's post, should minimize energy consumption and electricity bills.

Doing so not only means that the cold air directed downwards mixes less with the hot air at higher level, (=greater efficiency) but the floor tiles stay cold to the touch meaning that they can't radiate heat back into the room. The dog isn't stupid: he makes a bee-line for those cold tiles to cool himself down.

I think you have a latent heat problem in your new aircon area. It takes for ever to get that heat sucked out. Could take days the latent heat bank is most likely 32C.
I once moved into an apartment in Bangkok where this was the case I ran the aircon 24/7 for a week before it started to cool down. That was in April as well.
The floor level fans are a great idea to move the latent heat a lot faster. Now don't forget an refrigeration system does not cool. It removes heat!
For interest @Merlin what brand aircon did you buy?

I'm surprised they don't sell AC units with a Solar pack with them too. Although I know very little about solar or AC units, it seems like a good forwardthinking idea to me????

I think you have a latent heat problem in your new aircon area. It takes for ever to get that heat sucked out. Could take days the latent heat bank is most likely 32C.
I once moved into an apartment in Bangkok where this was the case I ran the aircon 24/7 for a week before it started to cool down. That was in April as well.
The floor level fans are a great idea to move the latent heat a lot faster. Now don't forget an refrigeration system does not cool. It removes heat!
For interest @Merlin what brand aircon did you buy?
The new AC is in a very large bedroom upstairs. It is one that I had not tried before - a Central Air unit. Temperatures downstairs have been around 35c (as they are today) when AC is not used. The upstairs temp was MUCH higher than downstairs before installing the new AC. Right now, it is 41.1c outside at 16:42.

Upstairs, after months without AC, the 3 outside walls in the bedroom were very hot, and obviously radiated heat into the room. Those walls have cooled down (a lot) since the installation, no longer feeling as hot. During the non-AC months, the bedroom floor (roughly 6.5 metres wide x 18 metres long) also became very warm to the touch, and was also acting as a giant radiator. That too has now cooled down since the AC installation. As the walls and the floor are now cooler than before, it takes less time for the air temperature to reduce inside the room when the AC is on.

There is only a very small roof overhang (around 1 meter), and there are 2 x 60cm windows, 2 x 1.2 m windows, and 1 2.4m patio door in the bedroom, which has sunshine from dawn to dusk, so it is easy to see why the bedroom suffered oven-like temperatures pre the new AC installation. It is much more comfortable now (even with the AC switched off in the day until bedtime.)

Relief at last!

I'm surprised they don't sell AC units with a Solar pack with them too. Although I know very little about solar or AC units, it seems like a good forwardthinking idea to me????
Daikin was selling a solar assisted heat pump unit some many years back. The split system utilized a condensing panel along with a conventional to use solar heat for cooling and producing hot water. But market resistance is a hard nut to crack and although it worked nobody wanted it.
Note In this instance solar does not mean electric it is purely passive and thermal.

As for solar electric as @georgefromcanada points out there is a lot.

The new AC is in a very large bedroom upstairs. It is one that I had not tried before - a Central Air unit. Temperatures downstairs have been around 35c (as they are today) when AC is not used. The upstairs temp was MUCH higher than downstairs before installing the new AC. Right now, it is 41.1c outside at 16:42.

Upstairs, after months without AC, the 3 outside walls in the bedroom were very hot, and obviously radiated heat into the room. Those walls have cooled down (a lot) since the installation, no longer feeling as hot. During the non-AC months, the bedroom floor (roughly 6.5 metres wide x 18 metres long) also became very warm to the touch, and was also acting as a giant radiator. That too has now cooled down since the AC installation. As the walls and the floor are now cooler than before, it takes less time for the air temperature to reduce inside the room when the AC is on.

There is only a very small roof overhang (around 1 meter), and there are 2 x 60cm windows, 2 x 1.2 m windows, and 1 2.4m patio door in the bedroom, which has sunshine from dawn to dusk, so it is easy to see why the bedroom suffered oven-like temperatures pre the new AC installation. It is much more comfortable now (even with the AC switched off in the day until bedtime.)

Relief at last!
All, remember one thing, just because you are cool and not sweating in your air con rooms, you do need to be drinking plenty of water to hydrate.

Beware also of losing too much salt from your system by sweating to excess. Most of us consume less salt these days than used to be the case, and there is a risk of sodium deficiency as the dietary reduction combines with its loss through sweating. Just as athletes need more calories than the average sedentary person, they also need more sodium to replace what's lost through daily perspiration—about 1.5 to 3 grams per litre - and electrolyte drinks can be very useful to make up the losses.

I like my ceiling fans. Reverse setting sucking air up rather than blowing down with the air con on. In milder temps without using the air con I set to blowing downward.

Back