using a mirror as a outer wall

whoppr78

OK here's a crazy post for every one.My GF wants to have a mirror on the back wall and use it as the wall.As far as I know you have to have a existing wall and then you mount it to the wall.Mirrors are to fragile to use as a wall and someone could break in pretty easy.Could we use sliding windows and put a film to make it into a mirror?We were going to make a back room and enclose the shop later down the road but for now the back wall needs to provide security for shop.Anybody know of a good store that deals with custom mirrors or even some one with interior design experience.I could try to explain this subject better but I will see what kind of replys I get and then go from there.I want this shop house to look good and have GF happy too but not looking to go broke with this mirror thing.

Your wasting your money,i used to fit curtain walling, glass in framed sections, it had to be fitted dead level every section.

never seen it in thailand.

th

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea it's self could be a good one. One thing I would do is to dig deeper in what your girl friend is really asking for.

You might find there's a misunderstanding about what she's asking for and what you're hearing. This happens a lot with the differences in language and culture.

Don't get me wrong here please... I'm not saying anyone is at fault or wrong in what's being asked or heard.

Let me share one of my many experiences I've had here in manufacturing. We ordered some aluminium extrusions for some products we were building here a few years ago. When the shipment arrived I wasn't at the factory and my Thai manager told me that the white extrusions had arrived. Well I went ballistic because I ordered natural finished (or unfinished) aluminium. I later found out that Thai language or at least for my manager, didn't have a word or words for natural finish so Thai people say white when speaking English.

So I would suggest you dig deeper first. Maybe ask your girlfriend if she can show you an example of what it is she really wants... you may find it's different from what you think shes asking for.

Quote: "Could we use sliding windows and put a film to make it into a mirror?"

Yes, use sliding windows or even sliding doors. No, do not use 'film' to make into a mirror. Film is very expensive and, in the hands of the average DIYer, a disaster waiting to happen. Buy 'reflective' or 'tinted' glass for a fraction of the cost of film and a pretty good job too. Film as used on cars is about 3 times the cost of reflective or tinted glass.

I have just done my front sliding doors, nearly 3 meters wide and 2 meters high for a total cost 2,400 Baht. The glass cost 1,600 baht and they charged 200 baht per door section for the work (4 sections). This included removing the doors, taking away the doors to the the glass shop, and replacing the glass, return and fitting some 1 hour later. You could do it yourself and save money on fitting and installation. The end result is a mirrored effect from the front of the house and providing nearly 90% efficiency against people looking inside. Proper mirrored glass is more expensive and I am afraid I do not know the price.

whopper - please clarify as to what you mean by 'mirror'

if i understood whopper correctly his wife is looking for a mirror.
whopper - is she seeking a mirror , the same as one would see in a dress shoppe or hair salon for customer's to look at their appearance ?

if so and she really wants a reflective mirror like in a beauty salon it should be properly affixed to a stable unmovable wall.
do yourselves a favour by not spending additional bhat to create an imaginative architectural design statement in the 'village'.
otherwise IMHO both you and she are facing disappointment.

Agree Coffee. I do not really know what whoppr78 is trying to achieve. If its an internal mirror on an existing wall then buy a mirror or two to fix to the wall. Whoppr, please clarify your intentions.

i have to agree with most of the posts here.

best to confirm exactly what the wife wants.

as an example my own wife speaks english as well as if not better than most Thai people i have met, yet when we where talking about putting in our shop front and some windows she constantly refered to the glass as the mirror.

that said if she does want a mirrored wall im sure it can be done, but i would imagine it to be expensive and finding a contractor to supply and fit may be difficult.

best of luck Hair_Out1

i have to agree with most of the posts here.

best to confirm exactly what the wife wants.

as an example my own wife speaks english as well as if not better than most Thai people i have met, yet when we where talking about putting in our shop front and some windows she constantly refered to the glass as the mirror.

that said if she does want a mirrored wall im sure it can be done, but i would imagine it to be expensive and finding a contractor to supply and fit may be difficult.

best of luck Hair_Out1

Welcome back rob.

thanks Ray

been absent too long
you back in Lamduan ?
haven't seen you for a while, you been making sausages ?

Jump_Drool

I will be building a wall to wall type of walk in drobe .
I will be using mirror doors and will get them made 6mm thick glass laminated if posable .
So it will act as a dressing mirror and also doors - and what ever else lol .

Back