Vehicles entering Cambodia

gotlost

Kap Chong R Us Member
Things may be changing at Chong Chom and other crossings Keep your ears on and eyes out.

Just as a heads up (and I realise that the actual situation at the border may be different).

Headed down to DLT in BKK to ask the question - do I need a car passport to go to Cambodia. The answer was 'yes', as opposed to last year which was 'no'.

So I ended up getting one.

This year they have me four things:

- the purple car passport. Slightly different from ones I had before as the front page actually has an english language equivalent of the Thai number plate registration typed on the first page.

- A vehicle registration certificate in English which has the vehicles particulars again it again.

- 'T' stickers for the car - which is noted in the front of the car passport as a 'distinguishing feature' of the car.

- And finally a Vehicle Inspection Certificate which states that the car is roadworthy under Thai laws written in Thai and English. This last one you have to trudge over to building 4 (ground floor) window 9 at the Chatuchak office to get it issued. It is where the cars come in for inspection when ownership is getting changed.

I asked the lady what the car passport is valid for, and she said for all of the Greater Mekong countries - so Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and China. I told her that the 'internet' has said that the latter two weren't possible, and while she said mileage may vary, people have been to those countries using this document.

As said, I'm not sure if this changes anything in reality at the common border crossings we have all talked about, but I feel happier now I have these docs for the upcoming trip.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic...-car-passport-for-cambodia-travel/?p=10115975

Back