visa extension

Deerculler

Surin relic
I am on the Retirement extension.
My pensions are paid into my bank account in NZ and I withdraw from ATM.
One of my pensions easly covers the Marriage extension.
With exchange rate changing all time and immigration causing confusion I am thinking of going this way.
Does immigration accept a joint bank account here in Thailand for the Marriage extension?
Your thoughts please.

PS: I know the marriage way is more involved.

With exchange rate changing all time and immigration causing confusion I am thinking of going this way.
Does immigration accept a joint bank account here in Thailand for the Marriage extension?
Your thoughts please.

Stay on a retirement extension if your pensions satisfy the criteria. Embassy letter and a few ATM receipts and/or home country bank statements showing the money you withdraw in Thailand.

Immigration accept a joint account but it doubles the amount you need to show.

Your thoughts please.

No they do not. The account has to be in your name only. Your account can be signed over to your wife if you die.

No they do not. The account has to be in your name only. Your account can be signed over to your wife if you die.

At which point immigration are not concerned about you...... even if you overstay! :smile:

I based my response on this (and other) posts on Thai Visa:-

• Members
  • uPwNEQKgh4X8TkBv+nwGihVuKrQEodxXIlcJiJwB7LSNPowV97QAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
    uPwNEQKgh4X8TkBv+nwGihVuKrQEodxXIlcJiJwB7LSNPowV97QAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
  • 471 posts
Posted 2013-05-12 16:45:32
mogy, on 12 May 2013 - 11:38, said:
Can anyone confirm if a joint account is still acceptable for funds ? I heard that a single holder account was required.
You can use a joint account but they will only count 1/2 of the funds on deposit toward meeting the financial requirement. This is based on our experience at the Jomtien Immigration office.

I based my response on this (and other) posts on Thai Visa:-

• Members
  • uPwNEQKgh4X8TkBv+nwGihVuKrQEodxXIlcJiJwB7LSNPowV97QAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
  • 471 posts
Posted 2013-05-12 16:45:32
mogy, on 12 May 2013 - 11:38, said:
Can anyone confirm if a joint account is still acceptable for funds ? I heard that a single holder account was required.
You can use a joint account but they will only count 1/2 of the funds on deposit toward meeting the financial requirement. This is based on our experience at the Jomtien Immigration office.

DC is asking about an account for marriage not retirement and KCI says his name only.

It's been that way for Donkeys years hasn't it?

I have been on a marriage extension for three years from KCI and this is their requirment. shrug1
BTW seasoning of funds is only 60 days for a marriage extension where as a retard is 60 the first year then 90 days thereafter.

Last edited:
You can use a joint account but they will only count 1/2 of the funds on deposit toward meeting the financial requirement.
This is based on our experience at the Jomtien Immigration office.

This is the way that Jomtien Immigration apply it.

Whether you are applying for retirement or marriage extension, you have to show double the required amount if you have a joint a/c.
I had this situation this year, after showing a joint a/c for 11 years they now want double - which I did not have. So I opened an a/c in my own name and transferred the balance from the joint a/c (too much for the visa but not double) and all was ok. Remember it has to sit in your a/c for 3 months prior to application.

This is the way that Jomtien Immigration apply it.

Whether you are applying for retirement or marriage extension, you have to show double the required amount if you have a joint a/c.
I had this situation this year, after showing a joint a/c for 11 years they now want double - which I did not have. So I opened an a/c in my own name and transferred the balance from the joint a/c (too much for the visa but not double) and all was ok. Remember it has to sit in your a/c for 3 months prior to application.

If your referring to a retirement extension the funds only have to be seasoned 60 days the first time then 90 days every year after.

If your referring to a retirement extension the funds only have to be seasoned 60 days the first time then 90 days every year after.

At Jomtien for retirement they are looking for 4 months for the first application, then 90 days for renewals.

At Jomtien for retirement they are looking for 4 months for the first application, then 90 days for renewals.

There is no 90 day renewal. There is a 90 day report and you can report 15 day before the date and up to 7 days after the report day. On the 8th day after your report date you will be fined 2000 baht and it could go to 5000 baht. As for the 4 months I think your confusing that with the Single entry 90 day O visa that all retirement extension must start on.

There is no 90 day renewal. There is a 90 day report and you can report 15 day before the date and up to 7 days after the report day. On the 8th day after your report date you will be fined 2000 baht and it could go to 5000 baht. As for the 4 months I think your confusing that with the Single entry 90 day O visa that all retirement extension must start on.

Nothing to do with the 90 day report.

By 90 days I meant that the funds must be in your bank a/c that long prior to renewing the visa.
ie if you are showing 800K + for retirement at least 800K must have been in the a/c for 90 days before applying.

I have been on a marriage extension for three years from KCI and this is their requirment. shrug1
BTW seasoning of funds is only 60 days for a marriage extension where as a retard is 60 the first year then 90 days thereafter.

Wrong , KC and Khorat have always demanded 3 months seasoning of the monies, even on the first application...for retirement

This also applies to a part and part method...ignore what TVisa and their immigration web site says...on the date of application is the law, but not with the local crowd..Grrr

Wrong , KC and Khorat have always demanded 3 months seasoning of the monies, even on the first application...for retirement

This also applies to a part and part method...ignore what TVisa and their immigration web site says...on the date of application is the law, but not with the local crowd..Grrr

KC has changed and they go by 60 days now for the first time and then 90 days thereafter. This is only for retirement as marriage is 60 days only.

I think you answered yourself in your OP, Deerculler. People seem to go through agonies to get the marriage extension (I haven't tried it myself) whereas the retirement version is largely trouble-free.

Nothing to do with the 90 day report.

By 90 days I meant that the funds must be in your bank a/c that long prior to renewing the visa.
ie if you are showing 800K + for retirement at least 800K must have been in the a/c for 90 days before applying.

As said at KCI 60 days the first time then 90 days every year after. BTW when KCI reopened there was refusal to acknowledge the 60 day first time and this was not appreciated by the foreigners when applying for a retirement extension . Just a while back KCI did reread the rules and admitted the 60 days for the first time was correct and implemented it. The question is will they continue it?? Also at KCI the combination method of money in an account and monies from a statutory declaration to equal the 800k is accepted but KCI requires the monies in the bank to be seasoned for 90 days, this also has made some unhappy people.

Last edited:
I think you answered yourself in your OP, Deerculler. People seem to go through agonies to get the marriage extension (I haven't tried it myself) whereas the retirement version is largely trouble-free.

Personally I see no agonies. I see lack of understanding which can make it difficult but you have that with most cases. No argument a retirement should be easier but by recent events that is questionable.

Back