What is your favourite Thai restaraunt in Surin

Hmmmm, the past 4 years I haven't been eating out all that much, and I always enjoyed our Thai foods at Starbeam's, though we were not thought of as a "Thai" restaurant I think we served some of the best Thai foods around.

I always used to enjoy going to the Ba Nah restaurant on the reservoir in Huay Senang. The food was always good, I love the view from their second level overlooking the water, especially enjoyed the place during the cool season in the evening, or when there is a slight breeze. Rustic, good foods (at least a few years ago it was good), plenty of parking as well. I used to bring visiting friends there when they'd come see us, and most had a great time. Nothing fancy, but good food and atmosphere for me. We've had a few birthday parties there over the years. I haven't been there in a long while though, and things can change with new chefs, management/owners. Anyone been out there lately?

I thought the Green Terrace was good. Nice food, good service, good gardens/ waterfall ambiance outdoors. AC indoors, and I like the fact you can move around the furniture to suit the customers needs.

Mike

Last edited:
I agree with Ba Nah restaurant. Never had a bad meal there. Suanpa resort out on the 214 has great food with a huge menu. Probably the best Tom Yum Goong i have tasted in these parts. They make a mean green curry as well. Have not been there in a while. I would assume that they are still consistent as they are always packed on the weekends.

It is a hard question to answer though since there are so many places to CHOOSE from.

Last edited:
I don't know the name but it is near the newer golf driving range. Go a few hundred feet past the driving range entrance (range on your right) and turn left at the Pepsi sign on the small dirt/gravel driveway. Go down a few hundred more feet and you will see the restaurant on your right. It is set in the woods in a garden like setting and has the best food I have had in Surin. I haven't been there in a while so I hope things haven't changed.

I don't know the name but it is near the newer golf driving range. Go a few hundred feet past the driving range entrance (range on your right) and turn left at the Pepsi sign on the small dirt/gravel driveway. Go down a few hundred more feet and you will see the restaurant on your right. It is set in the woods in a garden like setting and has the best food I have had in Surin. I haven't been there in a while so I hope things haven't changed.

I have no idea where it is, as I haven't been there in quite a while and I've only been twice, but there is a restaurant somewhere over the tracks that is set in a 'jungle' park like setting with outdoor and indoor seating. Good foods, karaoke machines in the glassed in 'huts' that have AC. Outside seating under the trees with flowering shrubs and bushes bisected by stone and flagstone walkways. A very pretty and relaxing setting. Good staff and all the Thais loved the food. We used the AC indoor seating area (I think there are more than one) to hold my daughter's birthday party twice at least. A great place for the kids and the teens loved the karaoke machine (though I didn't). Large rooms with porches around them and the tables can hold around 20 people.

I will try to find out the name of the place from my wife and sister-in-law. It was a nice set up. And not very far from downtown at all. Perfect for gatherings of family or friends.

Mike

Impossible to tell, because I have not been to all of them.:confused:

I doubt that anyone has. I suspect that Alan was looking for a view based on your experience of those that you HAVE visited.

My experience is also very limited but if there is a better Thai restaurant than the Green Terrace then I would like to go there,

We were recommended to visit a place selling vegetarian food by ATB, you can't call it a restaurant more a street cafe, now we go a least once a week, delicious food and very cheap.
Go straight past the Police Station in the direction of Buriram, past the Court Building, the place is on the left about 100/200 meters from the Court and has a yellow shop front (Wood's directions and they are not always totally reliable - ATB might be able to correct them if they are wrong) - I believe it closes about 4.30pm

I too like Suanpa Resort restaurant. Great choice of food and decent helpings too.

I agree with Ba Nah restaurant. Never had a bad meal there. Suanpa resort out on the 214 has great food with a huge menu. Probably the best Tom Yum Goong i have tasted in these parts. They make a mean green curry as well. Have not been there in a while. I would assume that they are still consistent as they are always packed on the weekends.

It is a hard question to answer though since there are so many places to choice from.
http://www.suanparesort.com/index_eng.html

Had a birthday party for my wife there a few years back. The food was good I'll admit. But they kept trying to tell me the only whiskey they had in the place was Black Label (I was looking to buy a bottle or two to share around, as we had quite a few family there as well.) It was total bullshit I was told by wife and family attending. They just thought they could screw the farang, in my opinion, and sell a couple premium whiskeys (their idea of premium, not mine). The price quoted for a bottle of Black was OTT as well. Never been back, as I felt they, the staff, were quite rude and had this 'screw the farang' attitude, and there are plenty of other good places in Surin to go to have a party and spend your money to eat. The bill was also wrong, in their favor of course, by quite a lot. Pissed off Wife and Sis.

Mike

It is a hard question to answer though since there are so many places to choice from.

WoH,

"since there are so many places to choice from"

Choice from? And you already edited this for grammatical errors? :) LOL Heh, just taking the piss brother. Made me laugh when I saw that.

Mike

I doubt that anyone has. I suspect that Alan was looking for a view based on your experience of those that you HAVE visited.

My experience is also very limited but if there is a better Thai restaurant than the Green Terrace then I would like to go there,

Ok. So maybe the question should have been "What is your favourite Thai restaurant in Surin?"

I like the place that sells Somtam and Bbq chicken and such just passed Sydney Season's as you are heading towards Buriram. Great spring rolls too.

Then again that could be construed as an Issan restaurant. Or maybe even an Esarn restaurant.

Quite a broad subject really.

Ok. So maybe the question should have been "What is your favourite Thai restaurant in Surin?"

I like the place that sells Somtam and Bbq chicken and such just passed Sydney Season's as you are heading towards Buriram. Great spring rolls too.

Then again that could be construed as an Issan restaurant. Or maybe even an Esarn restaurant.

Quite a broad subject really.

I agree... the best BBQ chicken in Surin... our place is very close to that and we get dinner there several times a week.

WoH,

"since there are so many places to choice from"

Choice from? And you already edited this for grammatical errors? :) LOL Heh, just taking the piss brother. Made me laugh when I saw that.

Mike

Thanks for picking up on that Mike. I must have been feeling sluggish this morning. I have since edited my post along with the reason. :biggrin:

I agree with many of the choices made by other members.

Here's another.......Mam and I have eaten many times at Auntie Pim's BBQ Fish and always had good food (by no means just fish!) and service. There are in fact two restaurants, the old one and the new one a few hundred metres further along the road. Both are good.

They are on the way to Big C from Ruamphet, past the schools and on the left just after the 5 ways traffic lights, opposite the Expo stalls.

I agree with many of the choices made by other members.

Here's another.......Mam and I have eaten many times at Auntie Pim's BBQ Fish and always had good food (by no means just fish!) and service. There are in fact two restaurants, the old one and the new one a few hundred metres further along the road. Both are good.

They are on the way to Big C from Ruamphet, past the schools and on the left just after the 5 ways traffic lights, opposite the Expo stalls.

Haven't been there yet myself, but hear good things about this place. I hear the old place is used more for take away now. A very popular restaurant. Thanks for the memory jog, John. I need to try this one, the newer establishment, out with my wife.

Mike

Haven't been there yet myself, but hear good things about this place. I hear the old place is used more for take away now. A very popular restaurant. Thanks for the memory jog, John. I need to try this one, the newer establishment, out with my wife.

Mike
They are both good, Mike. Mam says the old one has better taste. I can't tell the difference!
The old one is cosier.

Back