Who Goes There? Farming interest? Speak Up!

Yeah, and the other half, feeding and cleaning up.
I have Durocs what type of pigs do you farm Adam?
Anyone else out there with a few pigs?

LMAO1 You, my friend are a professional LMAO1.

What type of pigs do I have, pink!

Very small scale (all down to the wife) I told her not to bother as she tried once before and as she was a farang wife, she couldn't get a decent price. But she is giving it another go, and she now has a regular to buy once a month from the market in Prakhonchai.

Last time home I think we had 12 (one young male with his tackle in place) and a mixture of males and females of various ages. She wants to have a go at breeding. If I was home all the time, I would take more interest, but as I told you before, she is a smart cookie, just needs more support from her family! But she is getting the kids trained.

LMAO1 You, my friend are a professional LMAO1.

What type of pigs do I have, pink!

Very small scale (all down to the wife) I told her not to bother as she tried once before and as she was a farang wife, she couldn't get a decent price. But she is giving it another go, and she now has a regular to buy once a month from the market in Prakhonchai.

Last time home I think we had 12 (one young male with his tackle in place) and a mixture of males and females of various ages. She wants to have a go at breeding. If I was home all the time, I would take more interest, but as I told you before, she is a smart cookie, just needs more support from her family! But she is getting the kids trained.

Pink, good enough. So if their ears droop over their eyes they are Landrace, sticky-uppy ears are Large White and the brown-red ones are Durocs. The wingey, noisey ones are bastards otherwise known as for sale. Piglets are the real little ones.:wink:

Pink, good enough. So if their ears droop over their eyes they are Landrace, sticky-uppy ears are Large White and the brown-red ones are Durocs. The wingey, noisey ones are bastards otherwise known as for sale. Piglets are the real little ones.:wink:

WOW!! You really know your porkers! Now all my son from the UK wants to know is where is the bacon at?Thanks3

Two options either wet or dry curing. Heaps on the web on both. Or PM me and I will make it for you.

Could you please post something on here, I have limited web access on the ship, I remember a while ago somebody (it may have been Sangkha) was selling brineing kits.

Please do let me know what to do, if I can do it at home, my son from UK would be very impressed if I presented him with home cured bacon.

Could you please post something on here, I have limited web access on the ship, I remember a while ago somebody (it may have been Sangkha) was selling brineing kits.

Please do let me know what to do, if I can do it at home, my son from UK would be very impressed if I presented him with home cured bacon.

Correct, it was, but I think he's moved on to Sausage making now.

Party5 Well if he brings the sausages and bacon, I have the eggs and I make bread, we'll have a breakfastHug1 Anybody locally make Black pudding?

Bacon Dry Curing

I dry cure bacon. You do not need to use curing salt or anything special. If you want to store it then freeze it. Will keep as is for a couple of weeks in the fridge.
I use raw sugar and sea salt for the cure. I use combinations of flavours, herbs and spices as well. A favourite is black pepper and molasses. You simply coat the meat with you spice mix and then pack a mix of salt and sugar over that. Stick it in a plastic bag with a little air inside and stick it in the meat keeper part of the fridge. Once or twice a day massage the bag a bit and turn it over. About 4 days per kilo will do it. You know when its done as the meat starts to firm up as it loses moisture.
Take it out and rinse off the cure. Let it drain on a rack in the fridge for an hour or so and you are good to go.
If you want to slice (I use a bacon slicer) then it is a good idea to stick the bacon in the freezer and get it nice and firm but not frozen. Makes it much easier to slice.

Too lazy for all that? Drop me a line. Next batch due to start this week.

Last edited:
Back