Why is PEA charging us 2x rate at our rice field compared to our village house?

Stargazer

Surin Legend
I'm having trouble figuring out PEA policy re: electricity rate. We are being charged double ('Special Rate') out at our rice field, where we are primarily pumping irrigation water, compared with our house in the village.

Does anyone know what the policies are? We've been waiting a year so far for PEA to get around to extending the pole line out to our lake at our expense. Currently we're getting by on a 400 meter long temporary line from the nearest power pole.

I'm having trouble figuring out PEA policy re: electricity rate. We are being charged double ('Special Rate') out at our rice field, where we are primarily pumping irrigation water, compared with our house in the village.

Does anyone know what the policies are? We've been waiting a year so far for PEA to get around to extending the pole line out to our lake at our expense. Currently we're getting by on a 400 meter long temporary line from the nearest power pole.

During my house build I was being charged 7 Baht/unit. It dropped to 4/Baht once we got a house book.

You might find this helpful when you go to discuss with them - I see the agricultural pumping rate is under 4 Baht

https://www.pea.co.th/Portals/_default/Documents/Rate2015.pdf

During my house build I was being charged 7 Baht/unit. It dropped to 4/Baht once we got a house book.

You might find this helpful when you go to discuss with them - I see the agricultural pumping rate is under 4 Baht

https://www.pea.co.th/Portals/_default/Documents/Rate2015.pdf
The electricity supply at your rice field is regarded as temporary, and as such carries a higher rate. You may find a solar powered pump works out cheaper in the long term.

The electricity supply at your rice field is regarded as temporary, and as such carries a higher rate. You may find a solar powered pump works out cheaper in the long term.
Ah. We’re still waiting for the installation of pole line out to our lake. In our case, we can only pump 10 minutes per hour, so pumping all night more than doubles our net. We also may eventually add a cottage there, as well as CCTV to monitor our fish raising. So the cost to extend the PEA line will pay off long term.

PEA is back on the job. They are quoting 105,000 THB to extend pole line 12 poles, about 130 meters, out to our lake. Accepted. So in about 1-½ months, we should have a power line out there. Now, my next job is to try to get the public road out there, which currently looks like it was bombed in Kosovo, fixed; it is very hard on vehicles. I'm offering to fill the potholes with concrete in the interim. Up to the village headmaster.

Might be cheaper to go Solar (Well he would say that he is the "Surin Solar Legend")

20190705_025114755_ios.jpg

Our PEA power pole extension to our lake/farm seems to be progressing at last. The original quote was 112,000 THB to extend about 400 meters out into the rice paddy area. They said they tried to contact us 6 months ago while we were in USA and failed, and put it on hold. We revived it, and after finally getting an official address for the building out there, they reduced the price to 44,000 THB. Guess that makes a policy difference, which may help someone on the forum in the future. They're supposed to do the work in mid-December. I'll give a progress report later. The exchange rate for US$ has climbed to nearly 34, which helps, as it was below 30 last spring.

When my house was built at Jomtien 35 years ago, we had to wait for a house number and house book to be issued upon completion before we could apply for electric. Having done so, we were told there was a backlog and it would be 2 months before PEA could install. 1000bt fixed that and we had electric the very next day!

Might be cheaper to go Solar (Well he would say that he is the "Surin Solar Legend")

20190705_025114755_ios.jpg

Very nice, Bandersnatch! In our case, we can only pump 10-15 minutes before giving the well a half hour rest to recover. So I have it on a timer to do so, 24/7. Solar would yield much less total water (without quite a battery setup). I lived in Hawaii for 10 years, and was net zero with photovoltaic panels.

Wow - Beach 69 and Waikaloa Village!

Does Captain Cook ring a bell (South Kona)?

Mele kalikimaka!
Oh, yeah. We moved to Hawaii after writing books about Hawaii for 20 years. We kept track of 160 snorkeling sites all over the Hawaiian islands. We had lived in Palo Alto, CA for 35 years. We kept spending more and more time in Hawaii working on the books, and my wife said one day "Why don't we just move there?" So we did. This is one of our books: "Snorkel Hawaii The Big Island (4th edition) is the one and only guidebook exclusively devoted to snorkeling on the Big Island. No other guide comes close to the level of snorkeling detail provided here. Take SHTBI, along with a good general guidebook of your choice, and you'll have all the details you need for a great vacation! Now revised and expanded, with full color maps, as well as beach and fish pictures! From a colorful cover to 39 accurate maps and details on 60 snorkeling sites, and pictures of 64 of the best beaches, SHTBI draws you into the fascinating underwater world that shouldn't be missed by anyone touring the Big Island. As Dave Barry says: When you finally see what goes on underwater, you realize that you've been missing the whole point of the ocean--it's like going to the circus and staring at the outside of the tent. An award-winning book designer contributed a sophisticated, yet readable style to the cover and interior. It's worth going to the Big Island just to swim and snorkel, and Snorkel Hawaii The Big Island is the snorkeling buddy you want to have along." Ever eat at Sushi Rock in Hawi? Our favorite. 69 beach, too. Here's a fun hula video at the Mauna Lani monthly free music evening:
. We should get together sometime.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 06.25.06.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 06.25.06.png
    508.8 KB · Views: 4
@Mel Malinowski ...sure one day in Surin.

I could only spend two weeks there annually.
My usual "Kohala visit" would be the tailend of an early daytrip drive to Hilo-side destinations finding me traveling counter-clockwise following the 'highway' north out of Hilo onto Honakaa into Waimea for sandwiches and such before catching late afternoon sun and bodysurf at Hapuna State Park prior heading back south watching the sunset.

I recall following a visit to Kawaihae (and either a Mexican or sushi early lunch) heading towards and into Hawi for an historical "path of Kamekamea" visit...(I'm not sure if I ever saw Maui). I never bicycled the Ironman route.

There was a time while living in greater-Seattle that I thought I would 'retire' on the Big Island...having initially ventured there 1988. I was "officially married" there 1995.

Following a financial fallout (albeit self-induced) that forced property sales I figured I had better set my expectations on a more 'affordable' location for my endgame. Hence Thailand.

My last trip to Hawaii was 2011...and apparently was my final one there.

Back