yellow house book

J

johnb

A friend of mine here in Surin who is not a member of this forum has recently obtained a yellow house book. It was relatively straightforward....a trip to Kap Choeng for certificate of residence and stamping of the usual documents, followed by a visit to the city office with his local poo yai baan.

I wonder what benefits there are to obtaining the yellow book. I know some of them but may be missing others. Can anyone with experience list them so I can decide if it is worth the effort?

John I have had a yellow house book for 7 years and the only thing I see as a benefit is if it is with me and I need shit paper then guess what I will use.:cool: For the average farang it is a useless document. Save what money you would spend on getting it and buy yourself some beers.

John I have had a yellow house book for 7 years and the only thing I see as a benefit is if it is with me and I need shit paper then guess what I will use.:cool: For the average farang it is a useless document. Save what money you would spend on getting it and buy yourself some beers.

Now there's an idea, GL. I have often complained about the quality of toilet paper available here. I guess the pages of the yellow house book are considerably stronger, though I am not sure about their absorbency. Experiments are called for.

When i had to sell my car, renew my Drivers license, i had to show proof of residency. When the immigration office was located in Korat, this would have been a real ball ache if i didn't have my yellow book. But i suppose whilst we now have the immigration office back in KC, then its no longer much of a benefit.

When i had to sell my car, renew my Drivers license, i had to show proof of residency. When the immigration office was located in Korat, this would have been a real ball ache if i didn't have my yellow book. But i suppose whilst we now have the immigration office back in KC, then its no longer much of a benefit.

Some places accept them some due not. If yours is accepted great if not use for shit paper..//flag

Johnb : a yellow house book really makes a lot of things simpler.
It serves as proof of residence for immigration, it gives you the power to buy a motobike/car in your own name as long as you pay cash, you cannot obtain a loan in your name.
If for one reason or another you "loose" your non-O immigrant visa, f.i. "forgetting" to extend your mariage or retirement visum in due time, it will make life a lot easier when re-applying for a non-O immigrant visum.
So if you prefer to follow gotlost's advice ... up to you ...
Cheers

Now there's an idea, GL. I have often complained about the quality of toilet paper available here. I guess the pages of the yellow house book are considerably stronger, though I am not sure about their absorbency. Experiments are called for.

...Which reminds me of the old joke that "I wouldn't be seen dead using Izal" (or Bronco for that matter!)

Johnb : a yellow house book really makes a lot of things simpler.
It serves as proof of residence for immigration, it gives you the power to buy a motobike/car in your own name as long as you pay cash, you cannot obtain a loan in your name.
If for one reason or another you "loose" your non-O immigrant visa, f.i. "forgetting" to extend your mariage or retirement visum in due time, it will make life a lot easier when re-applying for a non-O immigrant visum.
So if you prefer to follow gotlost's advice ... up to you ...
Cheers

As said some places accept them and some places do not. Visa can only be gotten out side Thailand. I have never known of a Thai embassy or Consulate accepting a yellow house book.

The only real benefit I can see is when dealing with motor vehicles and licenses. You don't need a certificate of residence (that's basically what the yellow book is, a permanent certificate of residence)
On kind of the same topic, my mate just renewed his drivers license in Surin with a letter from the police station in Surin for 100 Baht, while on a tourist visa. Have they made things much easier now? Used to be a certificate of residency from immigration and a non immigrant visa I thought?

The only real benefit I can see is when dealing with motor vehicles and licenses. You don't need a certificate of residence (that's basically what the yellow book is, a permanent certificate of residence)
On kind of the same topic, my mate just renewed his drivers license in Surin with a letter from the police station in Surin for 100 Baht, while on a tourist visa. Have they made things much easier now? Used to be a certificate of residency from immigration and a non immigrant visa I thought?

Being on a Tourist Visa he only got another 1 year temporary dl. Getting a COR from the local police has always been an option but most farangs don't try. If I lived in Surin that is what I would do.

That's a change for the better then because they used to say go to KC Immigration and refused to issue C.O.R. Our friends in Buriram have always been able to get them from the police, however.

Good News, if its correct!!!!!!!

Back